Connecticut!

Check Beth G. She has the rumpless. They are beautiful. She's in Bethany, CT.

Last edited:
My Marshmallow is bent on being broody...I've evicted her probably a dozen times today and she acts a little confused, shakes it off, then heads right back to the nest box. Muttering to herself the whole time... she doesn't seem to be losing weight (yet) but her keel bone is bare. Do chickens pull breast feathers out to make a nice warm brood patch for the babies like songbirds do?

yes, they do.

My Marshmallow is bent on being broody...I've evicted her probably a dozen times today and she acts a little confused, shakes it off, then heads right back to the nest box. Muttering to herself the whole time... she doesn't seem to be losing weight (yet) but her keel bone is bare. Do chickens pull breast feathers out to make a nice warm brood patch for the babies like songbirds do?

Well hopefully the broodiness will go away in a couple of weeks when she sees she's not having any success hatching chicks out of the empty air ... if she's still broody when we get back from April vacation then maybe I can talk my husband into letting her 'foster' a few chicks for someone else ... I think my brother would be ok with a couple new flock members :)

Hello CT peeps,
Sorry I have not been around, been busy with CERT, CTSART meetings, presentations, and finishing up the coop and run.

Well my chicks are due in 22 days. I ordered an Eco Glow 20 almost a month ago, and it has not arrived yet. They are on back order. I was told they were coming in on March 13, then March 29, now April 9, or perhaps April 16th.
I am getting nervous about not having a heat supply for my chicks when they arrive. I really do not want to spend extra money on a heat lamp and bulb, and only use it for a couple of days or a week until my Eco glow arrives.

When I figure out how to post pictures, I will put a picture of my coop and run.

Last edited:
I have a heat lamp you can borrow till yours comes. no worries!
Hello CT peeps,
Sorry I have not been around, been busy with CERT, CTSART meetings, presentations, and finishing up the coop and run.

Well my chicks are due in 22 days. I ordered an Eco Glow 20 almost a month ago, and it has not arrived yet. They are on back order. I was told they were coming in on March 13, then March 29, now April 9, or perhaps April 16th.
I am getting nervous about not having a heat supply for my chicks when they arrive. I really do not want to spend extra money on a heat lamp and bulb, and only use it for a couple of days or a week until my Eco glow arrives.

When I figure out how to post pictures, I will put a picture of my coop and run.

Hello all. I need some advice. We've got a year old GL Wyandotte who seems to be intent on going broody. She's spent the better part of the last three days in the nest box, gets quite stirred up if you try to coax her off. She's not sitting on anything (at first, there was a wooden dummy egg under her). We don't have a rooster, but I'm considering getting a few fertile eggs for her. My concern is how do I know she'll sit to hatch them, to see this through? I don't have a space for her to be separated from the other three girls, and we'd have to bring any chicks that did hatch inside because our set-up isn't really able to accommodate babies and the big girls.
We currently have three babies in a brooder. We had ordered 6 from MPC but one wasn't shipped due to hatching problems and two of the other five died soon after arrival. If anyone knows of any recently hatched or soon to hatch babies, preferably marans or wyandottes (or if someone has sexed females), let me know.
I'd love some input from my local pros! Thanks.

well i am not a pro but here is what i know from my experience of having broodies
If you want her to hatch you can but since you said you do not have the room to let her go to another area you can put her in a cage inside the coop with the eggs and food and water. That is what we do with our broodies because every day they switch nest and they just keep on taking eggs in and end up with about 20 eggs that they cant even cover so with putting them in the cage they will not be switching nest or adding eggs to there nest.

Back
Top Bottom