Considering a pre-fab purchase - reviews?

EggNV

In the Brooder
May 19, 2017
Napa Valley, CA
Hi all,

I'm considering buying a coop from The Chicken Coop Company. While it would be wonderful for me to be able to build one from scratch, the reality is that I don't have the skills, tools, or otherwise, to do so. That said, I do want the best I am able to afford for my girls, so I'm looking to purchase one. I've been looking around and prices really range, as I'm sure the quality does, too. The Chicken Coop Company seems to be solid, at least in comparison to others in the same price range.

Does anyone have experience with this company? I'm looking to spend no more than about $700.00 for a coop (nest house and run) large enough to house up to 10 chickens comfortably with only about 4 hours of free-range time per day.

Thank you in advance for your advice and thoughts!

Hi, Welcome to BYC! I went to the search forums & entered the chicken coop company & checked the box for only in title & found an interesting thread. (I'm not very computer savvy or I'd post the link, sorry)

We've alway built ours so I have not experience with the prefabs. I just know the ones I've seen at TSC or other farm stores seemed very cheap & not very predator proof. I'm sure you'll find other members here with experience with them. I saw a buyer beware warning posted the other day about a prefab but I don't think it was this company. That forum search may help you a lot.
Good luck

Size matters. Full size chickens want about 2' sq. feet of floor space per bird (coop floor space, not including run or nesting boxes) for 10 birds, the coop's floor space should be about 20 sq feet. Since they may have limited free range time, the run should be as big as you can manage. If you buy a premade, think about expanding the run ... if not immediately, at least in the very near future.

When they advertise pre built coops, ignore the number of chickens they tell you will fit ... check the dimensions, but those can be deceiving as they will usually give the dimensions of the whole structure (run, coop, nesting boxes, etc) as one.

Hi all,
I'm considering buying a coop from The Chicken Coop Company. While it would be wonderful for me to be able to build one from scratch, the reality is that I don't have the skills, tools, or otherwise, to do so. That said, I do want the best I am able to afford for my girls, so I'm looking to purchase one. I've been looking around and prices really range, as I'm sure the quality does, too. The Chicken Coop Company seems to be solid, at least in comparison to others in the same price range.

Does anyone have experience with this company? I'm looking to spend no more than about $700.00 for a coop (nest house and run) large enough to house up to 10 chickens comfortably with only about 4 hours of free-range time per day.

Thank you in advance for your advice and thoughts!
Check these out:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chicken-coop-from-chicken-coop-company-the-silkie.1092646/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/search/142708/?q=prefab+coops&o=date&c[title_only]=1

Size matters. Full size chickens want about 2' sq. feet of floor space per bird (coop floor space, not including run or nesting boxes) for 10 birds, the coop's floor space should be about 20 sq feet. Since they may have limited free range time, the run should be as big as you can manage. If you buy a premade, think about expanding the run ... if not immediately, at least in the very near future.

When they advertise pre built coops, ignore the number of chickens they tell you will fit ... check the dimensions, but those can be deceiving as they will usually give the dimensions of the whole structure (run, coop, nesting boxes, etc) as one.
Absolutely Ditto Dat!!!

2sqft is almost factory farm spacing...even the 4/10 oft cited here on BYC is minimal, IMO. But much needs to be taken into consideration when determining a good coop size, both for the chickens and the keeper, bigger is always better.
Too small coop size is not offset by run size, especially in colder climates.
Here is an excellent article on Space:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-much-room-do-chickens-need

From what I have read, the more common minimum recommended spaces are coop - 4sqft per bird and run 10sqft per bird. These numbers are not caste in stone, but what is important is that whatever you decide to buy will allow your flock to exist with ample space and comfort. I've just had look at the company's site and there's no way that 10 standard sized birds could happily exist in there IMO.

Have you looked into buying a prefab garden shed and then adding a run? A local tradesman could likely do the work. It's only a case of ensuring that ventilation is sorted, and roost bars are in place, along with a couple of nest boxes (I use plastic basins - thats how simple it can be).

Maybe ask on your state thread if anyone knows of a better company -
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread#post_3239224

ETA: Aart posted whilst I was waffling away - apologies for any repetition

IMO the store-bought/pre-fab coops are only good for quarantining a sick bird or temporary housing for older chicks or for a few new birds. Especially if you are in a high predator area as they are not very sturdy. Maybe look around on Craigslist or local newspaper for people who build and sell these. I got a 6' x 5' custom made coop for my 5 girls by a local guy who had just started a woodworking and furniture business for $600. The only predator I think could break in would be a bear and luckily I don't have to worry about those. Also, the manufacturer's recommended bird capacity on those pre-fabs are WAY over-inflated. Take whatever they say it can house and divide that by 3 for reality!

you might find building a coop is not as hard as you think. if you can't drive a nail use a drill and decking screws. pretty much any one can do that. also most lumber yards/ home depot will cut lumber to size for little to no extra charge.

The coop company that the OP referenced supplies coops to my local feed store.

They are TINY! They are also made of the softest wood next to Balsa wood.
I cannot believe they actually sell such a thing!

I would not waste the money on one.

With a little research and a willingness to do it most people can build a much stronger, bigger and better coop for the same cost or less.

Besides.... BYC members are always willing to lend a hand if someone gets stuck on the how to of it all.

Have you considered an A frame coop? They are very easy and inexpensive if someone is only keeping a few birds.

I bought a chicken coup from Tractor Supply and it is too small and looks to hard to clean etc. I looked on the internet and read tons of reviews. I went on Craigslist and found someone local who builds chicken coups and sheds for less than a shed at a store. I'm located in Connecticut. Its is quaker style and will house 8 or more chickens. Has walk in door, 5 nesting boxes, 2 roosting bars and over 6 ft tall for 825 dollars. You may want to check out Craigslist or ask about someone local. We are building the run. And heis matching the color of our house!

Back
Top Bottom