Considering Ducks---Breed Question

matte

Songster
10 Years
Dec 27, 2009
BrushyCreekHome.com
I'm a chicken man, but would like to get into some "free range" (actually a large fenced in yard area) ducks. The only problem is that there is no water for them to get into. I've read that Muscovy do fine without water, but are not very productive egg layers. I really like the sound (and egg laying) of Kahki's, but have read that they should really have some water. My perfect duck would be 1) fine without water except for drinking, 2) would lay a lot of eggs, 3) would do well free ranging in a large fenced in area, but maybe not devour the garden
hmm.png

Other than a few articles I know very little and would appreciate any breed advice. Thanks!

ducks can do fine without a pool, but you'll want to give them something deep enough for them to wash with, their regular washing includes cleaning their nares and eyes in the water so eye deep is minimum. They will destroy any lawn around their water source, and they live to make muddy water and mud around their water. That said nothing seems to make them happier than a good deep pool of water.
breeds for egg production would be campbells, harlequins, rouens, appleyards, saxony, and pekins, just to name a few.

Back
Top Bottom