Considering Pigeons, But I've got a few questions!

Officer495

Hatching
Mar 15, 2017
Hello!
So recently I've become a little interested in the idea of Keeping Pigeons, After i visited someone who had chickens and a pair of pigeons! They were completely beautiful, With blue coloring and feathered feet. Matched with a big pretty tail. I started doing a little research on them. But other then that one experience. The only other times I've been near pigeons are when I've seen the wild ones strutting around on the street, So I don't really know that much about them!
I mentioned them to my dad, And he agreed that I could get us a pair if I want to see what there like. (I think he wants them himself! Even my mother seemed to like the idea of them!)
I've begun looking them up, But I haven't done much so far. I'm not even completely sure if I'm going to try and get them yet. But I figured I'd ask here a few questions. ^^ So here I go! I hope none of these are silly questions!

1- How tame are they? Will they perch on your hand- Eat out it? Etc?
2- Following question 1, What would you say is the most mellow breed for being more of a pet.
3- Are they alright being stuck in a pen. I heard a lot of people release them to fly around, But with the amount of hawks/hungry cats around here and how attached I get to some of my birds. I'd be terrified something would catch them!
4- Following question 3, If your not planning to let them fly. Would trimming there flight feathers be best?
5- The guy I saw that had them, Kept them with chickens. Would they be okay in a pen with chickens? Or should they be separated. I have calm/Bantam chickens I don't think would hurt them. But I'm worried about disease and such.
6- Do they enjoy toys? I have a cockatiel and wouldn't mind giving them a few bird toys if they like them!
7- How do they handle the cold? I've never seen it snow here. But it does tend to get pretty cold some nights!
8- Feeding, What exactly do you tend to feed them? I was reading that bird seeds and grit and such like that?
9- And lastly, In general. How do you like keeping them? Do you find them fun? Is there anything I should know before considering them?

I probable have more questions that will pop in my head sometime later. But for now, Thank you for any answers! ^^ I'm just really curious right now about them and wanted to talk to people who are experienced with them!

1- How tame are they? Will they perch on your hand- Eat out it? Etc? Yes I feed my homers (aloof by nature) shelled unsalted peanuts as a treat only and they will do what you ask.
2- Following question 1, What would you say is the most mellow breed for being more of a pet. Ornamental birds such as fantails etc (I personally have little to no use for any bird that is not a homer or racer).
3- Are they alright being stuck in a pen. I heard a lot of people release them to fly around, But with the amount of hawks/hungry cats around here and how attached I get to some of my birds. I'd be terrified something would catch them! The older they get the better adapted they become against predators and the like especially homers.

Ornamental birds are easy pickings for hawks and other predators. Other breeds also do not far well with birds of prey as a rule.

The best advice I could give you is "NEVER" fly a bird you are "NOT" willing to loose. Always try and fly your birds hungry that way you have an ace in the hole for calling them back into the loft on your command.

4- Following question 3, If your not planning to let them fly. Would trimming there flight feathers be best? There are pros and cons to both situation. That is a decision only you as a fancier can make. Personally I do not clip their wings and yes I suffer losses every year. I find the pros out way the cons however.
5- The guy I saw that had them, Kept them with chickens. Would they be okay in a pen with chickens? NO Or should they be separated. YES I have calm/Bantam chickens I don't think would hurt them. Pigeons end up at the bottom of the pecking order save yourself grief keep them separate. But I'm worried about disease and such. Diseases and such are a fact of life try not to worry just wear a worried look it does the same thing. Life is what happens to you while you are making plans. Some times it better than what you expect but ultimately you are sure to suffer heartache it is what keeps us human.
6- Do they enjoy toys? I have a cocktail and wouldn't mind giving them a few bird toys if they like them! Pigeons seem to interact with each other as a pair and a flock and toys seem little concern to them. Hopefully others may give you some ideas and pointers
7- How do they handle the cold? I've never seen it snow here. But it does tend to get pretty cold some nights! Very well mine are subject to -40º and with extra whole corn fed as a supplement have no problem through the coldest Arctic conditions (I live in Canada).
8- Feeding, What exactly do you tend to feed them? I was reading that bird seeds and grit and such like that? Yes they have the same needs basically as cocktails. I feed my pigeons a mixture of grains which is solely made up of chicken laying pellets and whole corn (fed in separate feeders 24/7,) Most fanciers feed only twice daily only what they can eat in approximately 15 minutes.

The image below depicts what good pigeon feed consist of (Not available in my area).

9- And lastly, In general. How do you like keeping them? Do you find them fun? Now that I am retired they are one of my passions (I had them when I was young and in my teens) Grand children luckily got me reacquainted with them Is there anything I should know before considering them?

It cost the same to feed a poor pigeon as it does a champion try and get the best stock you can afford. I have a Belgian blood line. The best homers available have the Jensen blood line they come at premium prices as a rule.

Buy squeakers who preferably have not been flow outside the loft.

Check out the link in my signature it will give you some insight into the joys and perils of being a pigeon fancier.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom