Not open for further replies.

cravenchx

Songster
8 Years
Aug 7, 2011
Piedmont of NC
My son got a speeding ticket 2 weeks ago
and I'm considering getting him a radar detector
for Christmas. Anyone have experience with any?
A good one for the best (reasonable price)?
Suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

I'll take grief for this but how about he drives the speed limit?
Speed limits are there to try to make the roads safer for others.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

I wouldn't let him drive my car again till he showed appropriate remorse, paid his ticket, and paid for the increase in insurance that resulted. Second offense he wouldn't ever drive my car again. He can get his own car, and pay for his own insurance as well. Getting a radar detector tells him "Speeding is alright, the cops are wrong." Very wrong message! Also costs money. I wouldn't want to reward bad behavior by spending more money on him.

I'd get my kid a bicycle instead, or a good pair of walking shoes!

But that's just me....

If he is still living at home and you are in any way paying for the car or insurance, you have the control here. Get him a bike for Christmas and tell him one more screw up the car is gone. Driving is a privilege, not a given right and there are laws to obey.
Radar detectors help the speeders not get caught so they can continue speeding until they hurt someone.

Your post reminded me that the van we bought 2 years ago came with a radar detector. We've never used it, and until today, I forgot we even had the thing. I agree with the others, your son needs to drive responsibly, and that means following the speed limit.

Quote:
While you may not want to hear it, I will have to agree with everyone else here!

On a side note, with the new types of radar, a radar detector may not work. You should also check around as some states have made radar detectors illegal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom