Considering radar detector

Status
Not open for further replies.
Life lesson #1: If you speed, you may get a ticket.
Life lesson #2: You don't always get what you ask for!
big_smile.png

Quote:
For the most part, for that to happen the cop has to keep the radar off until he points it at you. 99% keep the radar on all the time which sets it off way up the road..

They also pick up other signals coming out of cop cars an EMS trucks which slow people down before they run up on wrecks. Just for that feature I think they should be in everyone's car.

As for giving a teen a detector? I have speeding tickets too so I have no right to throw stones.... I bet I am not the only one.

I fully admit to speeding. Mostly on the interstates and usually just keep with the flow of traffic - which may be 5 miles over the limit or crawling along at 20 mph. Not so much on the highways and NEVER in town.

I also have teenaged drivers. One of the rules is they get a speeding ticket, I get their license and car keys for 6 months. On the insane chance they get a 2nd ticket (since they've not yet gotten the first one), I, as the evil and mean title holder on their precious car, will be selling that sucker in 2.3 seconds.

I'm the parent, I get to make seemingly unfair and mean rules. I also have 23 years of driving experience vs their 1-4 years.

Quote:
Only because she condoned it.

I drive over the speed limit occasionally. Usually always at least 8 km over the speed limit. Not sure what that is in miles.. Our highways are 110 and I will drive just under 120. The cops only stop you if you go over the 120 unsaid speed limit.

Quote:
Only because she condoned it.

I drive over the speed limit occasionally. Usually always at least 8 km over the speed limit. Not sure what that is in miles.. Our highways are 110 and I will drive just under 120. The cops only stop you if you go over the 120 unsaid speed limit.

200px-Ford_Mondeo_MK3_ST220_-_Speedometer_(light).jpg

110-120KPH is around 65-75MPH.

Most cops down here don't ticket unless you go 10mph over(school zones not included). Some thought will write one for 1mph over. An my brother got one one day for to "fast for conditions" going less than the limit with no adverse conditions. So its what ever the cop wants to do.

Quote:
actually I do drive the speed limit... I have a commercial drivers licence and if I get points on my licence it not only affects me but my employer.. what affects my employer affects all of us... even if I am driving my own personal vehicle and get a speeding ticket I can loose my job every year at review the office will pull an abstract on everyone..

i drive the legal speed limit too. I live on a Army post with lots of housing areas and they REALLY insist on speed limit. Plus i have seen what happens to a car when it gets hit by a deer. I just set cruis control and go on my merry way.

I admit I speed, but I also have to pay the consequences for it if I get caught.

I would not buy my kid a detector cause that is just condoning the behavior.

you are telling him is ok to break the law when he grows up you can vist him in jail is that what you want

Well, OK then,
My son is 21, he was driving in unfamaliar territory,
the limit was 70 and dropped to 60 and was pulled over.
Not trying to make excuses, please understand that.
However, as with most people this age, all techno geeks,
I just thought a radar detector would be like a tongue in
cheek gift.
Talk about throwing some stones!

And thank you key west chick!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom