Considering Turkeys this spring

Based on my goals and expectations, should I raise heritage turkeys?

• Give it a shot, will probably go well!

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • Give it a shot, but you're setting up for heartbreak.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't do it, but it was a close call

• UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE ACQUIRE A TURK

• SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT PLAN, ORDER TODAY

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

Tre3hugger

Let Your Freak Flag Fly
Mar 21, 2020
NW Massachusetts
I think it would be really cool to raise a flock of Heritage Narragansett turkeys. I am interested for their rich history, beautiful plumage aka homestead eye candy, and think I would find their behavior interesting. I also would be interested in harvesting any extra jakes my flock might produce once a year around Thanksgiving. I know this wouldn't be profitable, and look at it more like a conservation hobby.

So basically my goals are to keep a flock of turkeys on/around my property year round that I feed and offer rudimentary shelter, mostly for night time, but who maintain their own numbers. Attempt to find an optimal balance between free ranging and predator protection using a 3 sided shelter inside electric net for initial homing and night time. Similar to my guineas, but turks are larger so hopefully just a BIT less predator vulnerable?

I am starting research now and beginning to formulate a plan. I have about 1/2 acre of electric fenced overgrown pasture. My chicken coop is on one side of it and the chickens range in the area during the day. So onto the questions.

1.Can I set up the turkey house on the other side of this area and have the turkeys share outside space with the chickens if they choose?
2.If I create a three sided run in shelter for the turkeys and pen them in it for a while after brooding, and feed station there daily will the turkeys stay in the area? I know they fly well and I don't really expect to keep them totally contained in the fence. I will probably have some losses due to roosting in trees etc. But if I keep them penned in the area until they are bigger do you think that will keep them in the general area? I don't mind if they free range but I don't want them to just disappear into the woods.
3. I have read Narragansett are relatively docile, and good mothers. Do you think my breed selection is correct? Why or why not?
4. Are my goals realistic at all, or will all my birds get eaten by predators without a secure run?
5.Would 2 Gobblers and around 8 hens be good for this setup?
Bit of backround. I currently keep a chicken flock of about 25, guineas, and raise meat birds in the spring/summer/fall. I live on 5 acres in the middle of a state forest in the Northeast.

I appreciate anyone who has read this far, and would REALLY appreciate any input anyone might have!

Last edited:
1.Can I set up the turkey house on the other side of this area and have the turkeys share outside space with the chickens if they choose?
Find out whether or not blackhead is a problem in your area. If it is a problem, turkeys can be at high risk if kept on the same ground as chickens. If it is not a problem there can be other reasons such as turkeys imprinted by chickens can be harmful to the health of the chickens.

The breed is Turkey, the variety is Narragansett.

As usual thank you @R2elk for the info, I got lots of shrubs and room and forage for them. Hopefully they survive long enough to reproduce next year and I can keep a line going on the property.

Blackhead might be uncommon where you live, BUT it depends.
We live on land that's sandy loam over sand, so fairly dry where our chickens spend their time.
A friend a mile up the road lives on clay soil, with a pond near her poultry. Years ago, she had peafowl, and added a few chickens from my flock. the following month, one of the hens died, then the peafowl started dying. Finally had a necropsy done, and it was Heterachis (sp?). She lost two more hens and several peafowl before everyone got wormer.
Our place, okay Her place, not so much.
She also stopped free ranging any of her birds, so their access to exposure decreased greatly.
Mary

Mainly, because it's another housing setup, and probably would be difficult to actually eat any of them! @Candy442 recently added some Midget Whites to the chickens and ducks already there, and they are very tempting. But still, it's the extra housing, feed, and everything.
We often see wild turkeys here, and that's probably enough.
Mary

We do have another house for them, but they free range with the chickens and ducks all the time. They are not as cooperative to return to their "home" as chickens are. We have so many wild turkeys around here that we don't have an issue having Turkeys too.

Find out whether or not blackhead is a problem in your area. If it is a problem, turkeys can be at high risk if kept on the same ground as chickens. If it is not a problem there can be other reasons such as turkeys imprinted by chickens can be harmful to the health of the chickens.

The breed is Turkey, the variety is Narragansett.
Will they imprint on them if introduced later in life? They wouldn't be brooded together, just share some ranging area later. And thanks for clearing up the breed/variety thing.

Will they imprint on them if introduced later in life? They wouldn't be brooded together, just share some ranging area later. And thanks for clearing up the breed/variety thing.
Imprinting happens as poults. Adults won't imprint.

There can be other issues such as many people try to squeeze turkeys into the same small areas that chickens can handle. Turkeys need much more room.

Turkeys can be very single minded. If they get an idea into their heads, they will not relent. If the object they have taken exception to is a chicken, the chicken may not survive the undesired attention.

It helps to have lots of room and many obstacles and hiding places to enable the intended victims to be able to escape.

Back
Top Bottom