Consolidated Kansas

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by ChooksChick, Sep 26, 2009.

1. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    What I did with my broody was to move her at night, into a coop from which she could not escape. It is a 4x4 A-Frame coop that was my original coop and now serves as hospital/broody/new chick's first coop. She had started to brood in the favorite nest box and every day, the rest of the hens crowded in next to her to deposit their eggs rather than use a different nest box. So when I picked up the fertile eggs, I set them in a nest of my own creation, in the broody coop, and after dark, lifted her off the nest in the main coop and carried her kicking and swearing at me, to the broody coop, where I put her on the eggs. She bounced off like I'd set her on fire ants, and ran to the edge of the run, pacing back and forth looking for a way out to get back to her nest. I turned my back, walked into the house and left her. Next morning she was sitting on those eggs like she'd been there all along and I rarely saw her off the next from then until the chicks hatched.

I know you said you tried already, but if she is able to get from the nest you've chosen to the nest she's chosen, she will continue to do that. If you can set up an area for her where she doesn't have a choice, it might be worth another try?

Good for you. Also, congrats on seeing movement in your RP eggs - it is so exciting to get the confirmation that it is working. Hopefully GQF will email you when they ship so you know to look out for it or can track the shipment online.

Congratulations!

2. tweetysvoice

tweetysvoice Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2011
    Lawrence, KS
    My Coop
    OH MY GOODNESS - cuteness overload!!! That is very tiny!! I Love them!!! [​IMG]

Hopefully going to pick up my silkies tonight!! Talked with Chooks today I'm really hoping that I don't fall asleep before she makes it back into town from the farm. She has mostly blues that hatched (sad story about the hatch too, but I'll let her tell that), so she said she'll pick out the girliest looking ones for me. hehe. I can hardly contain my excitement!

3. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Yikes, now THAT is small!! And I thought my teeny tiny silkie was small! HA! These are like half the size. Couldn't these drown in the chick waterer? I was afraid that my baby silkie would. My silkie chick is now 11 days old and is now the size of a LF chick. Finally, I don't have to worry about it drowning and it can now reach the chick feeder, too. Those little Bobwhite are super cute!! I cant wait to see what they grow up to look like!

YAY!!! Silkie chicks!!! I have read that more often than not, that when a chick is born with a vaulted skull-- those usually turn out to be pullets. Mine has a vaulted skull, but who knows, because now it's becoming much easier to pass on that genetic trait to males, too. I think you'll like your Blues, they are the color that got me started into this whole thing! LOL I just loved the Blue color. Post pics when you get them!!

4. Deerfield Acres

Deerfield Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2011
    Derby, KS area
    Hey all, I'm MUCH better today. The nausea has finally let up this evening and the eye feels just a little dry but I'm seeing clearly again and the contact bandaid is out. I think I should be good as new tomorrow. Danz, I think it did have more to do with the eye than the meds because it didn't improve even after 24 hours off the meds. So sorry about Dirty Girl. Just seems like life would take into consideration when one is seriously grieving. Just doesn't seem to work that way. Hawkeye and Danz, thought I'd tell on myself when I went through a "mad" stage when my Mom was in her last days.

My DH and I went to the tire store in Andover but when we got there the service guy wasn't up front so we just stepped back to wait. Gazing out the window in boredom I watch this guy pull up in a brand new Corvette and swagger into the store and straight up to the counter in front of us. About the time he got to the counter the service guy reappeared and Rude Guy asked his question. I could have let that go but then he smuggly turns to us with a pseudo-apologetic tone of voice and said "Oh, were you here before me, I didn't see you there" I couldn't believe my dear sweet mother was at home fighting for her life and losing while this rude loser walked the planet without a care for anyone but himself. I caustically replied "Yes, my 6'3" husband and his EXTRA LARGE wife are easy to miss, being the only living beings in this one room with you". His smug demeanor slid off his face and fell on the floor. Then he said, like the evil snake he was, "Well, excuse me for living" in a real sarcastic voice. If he thought that was going to cow me, he thought wrong. I took a step toward him and said in a low tone of voice, enunciating each word perfectly "NOT GOOD ENOUGH" all the while wondering where I had gone and praying whoever was using my mouth to do all this talking would just shut up. The guy finished up quickly and took off. I burst into tears and apologized to my husband. I said "I don't even recognize myself anymore" he reassured me it was okay and to not worry about it. Then I turned to the service guy and apologized for being so awful and explained my mother was dying of cancer and I'd become very unpredictable. He looked at me and said "THAT guy's been in here before. Believe me, you had nothing to apologize for." Oh well, he must have been glad I came at the guy like a pit bull since he certainly couldn't. So there you go. My mad story. Sometimes, the not fairness of it all is just too much.

So, the birdies still haven't made it to their new coop and run. I have to figure out the gate thing and connect it to the solar thingy and then we're set. I need to take some pics since it's all but done. Still need to get the nest boxes in and the exterior trim painted so hope springs eternal, maybe tomorrow.

HEChicken, I like your compost bin set up. I need to do one like that and then fence it so the dreadful coyotes don't get into it. Last night we had foxes running all over and screaching. They're weird sounding creatures. I don't know what is with so many of these beasts lately. Creeps me out.

Have a good evening everyone and if that's not possible, just hang in there.

5. HEChicken

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Yes, they could. They make quail waterers and that's what I used when I had my quail. I actually recommended them to you when you were concerned about your silkie baby but don't know if you saw that post. They sell them at TSC for around $1 and they fit on the same quart jars as the chick waterers.

6. Deerfield Acres

Deerfield Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2011
    Derby, KS area
    Ivy, those are the cutest, teeny, tiniest little birds. Goodness. Are you sure they're real? [​IMG]

7. tweetysvoice

tweetysvoice Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2011
    Lawrence, KS
    My Coop
    Karen, First off, i'm sorry if I've missed this before - but HUGS about your mom. I'm sorry to hear that :( With that said, you make me LOL. I so wish I had the gull to say that to someone! I've wanted to tell off all sorts of people for the rude insisitive crap they've done and good ole' me just keeps my mouth shut.

I have to high five you for that one! [​IMG]
    That's exactly what I got for my silkies that are coming. I saw them at TSC the other day and thought to myself that I would feel much more at ease with that in there. Glad I did!

8. Ivywoods

Ivywoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Hiawatha, KS
    Yes, they are real, and yes we are using quail waterers. I had them for some of my little bantam chicks.

Karen-Good for you. Why is it that some people are just "okay" with being rude? I'll never understand.

9. HEChicken

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Karen, that is a great story. I know it felt out of character to you, but I really admire people who aren't afraid to say what everyone else is thinking. Just last night at DS's baseball game some other kids (younger sibs of players) were throwing rocks down a set of stairs. I was so glad when the lady next to me yelled at them to quit. I had only noticed them seconds before she did, but had been sitting there thinking "those kids' parents need to get control of their kids". I guess I was afraid to say something to them myself but I was really glad when the woman next to me did just that.

10. cherwill

cherwill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    McPherson, KS
    Karen, there's no need to apologize for letting a rude person know they've been rude. I'm sorry about your mother. As you said, hang in there.

Ivy, those are the tiniest, most darling little birds!

The new birds are not as used to being handled as the rest of ours, so we didn't know if it would be a problem getting them into the kennel tonight. Silly me. All four were snuggled up on top of the kennel. They hollered when we picked them up and put them in, but they didn't try to fly off because a chicken that thinks she's already roosted for the night is apparently incapable of anything but complaining. I noticed throughout the day that while they mostly stay in their twosomes in the yard, they have no problem eating together side by side and they were all in one big heap on top of the kennel tonight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by