Consolidated Kansas

Lol I meant free range in back yard. I have 6' privacy fence all around. Just didn't want to have to section them off in one area, or build a tractor that I have to constantly move. Sorry for the confusion. :)
Yep, your fence will work great! And no, you won't need a separate fence. :)

Okay, here's the form link, so go take the survey, and it will draw a graph to show us the right day to set up the giggle-fest!!

I'd snatch those up- I charge $15-20 for a point-of-lay mutt. It takes that much to feed them up to that age, and feed costs are really the major outlay. If I'm selling a well-bred bird, it has to be higher to account for the investment I've made in the parents, multiple generations of care and culling to refine the bird, my time, and multiple generations of feeding, building, hauling water in the snow, hauling ice in the summer, etc.

It's not chicken feed to bring up chickens anymore!!

I've been working on Blue Barred Rocks for some time with SparkyCrows. I've got some Heritage Barred Rock in there and will be adding more. Working on Chocolate Bars, as well!! I do love Rocks.
I'll check out the link later-- I'm sort of doing a fly by at the moment, but I'll put my input in on the dinner dates. I AGREE with the prices of birds. And your time and effort and all that work and worry add up when you are refining a breed, or just growing out mutts. EIther way, birds are not cheap. Is SparkyCrows a female or male? I got a friend request from "them" a month or two ago and accepted because I saw it was another poultry fanatic! hahaha But I don't really know what they are breeding or doing. Very interesting about the blue barred rocks! I want to see a picture of them!

oh, i found the new posts, ha ha ha, hi every body
I just started with chickens last fall, meat birds. Oh god they were a trip. Now I am raising lots of layers and heritage breeds. I live by dexter Kansas.
WELCOME!! Several people have marans on the board, I'm sure you'll get hooked up! :)

Hawkeye-- What would you want for a couple of silkies???

I am ready to get a couple turkey poults or young hens.. Anybody have some?
I have a few birds up for grabs, I'll PM you.

Hi guys!! I haven't been around for quite a while but I'm back now. There are a lot of new people here! I'm glad more people are getting into chickens. I am getting ready to start putting my new coop together this week since my chicks will be here on 4-3! Not much longer to wait now! I have missed having birds and am super excited to get back into them!

David, I would love for you to email me the AMP form. My email is [email protected]. Thank You!!
what kind of coop are you making? Good luck on the build! Post pics!! :)

Danz was so kind to come down and NPIP by birds and then NPIP Hawkeyes! It was just an NPIP'ing kind of day! Thanks so much, Danz!!!! Hope you made it home in good time with your Bourbon Red girls.

Gulp. I thought I was down to around 30 - 35 birds. I have 53 birds.
th.gif
I have culled and culled and I still have 53 birds? Sheesh. I also found out that my pen of 8 pullets and 2 cockerels was actually 2 pullets and 8 cockerels -- that's a ton of late bloomers! Oh brother!
th.gif
th.gif
And to top it all off, we found mites!!!!!
th.gif
th.gif
th.gif
Crap!!!!! Okay, so we got everyone treated, houses repowdered, etc., etc. I'm beat! Oh well, it feels really, really good to have the NPIP testing behind me and mites eradicated. Good thing we did the testing and found the mite problem!
Yesterday was SO MUCH FUN!!! And I'm now NPIP'd! Thank you so much Danz!!! I'm not surprised at all Deerfield that you had that many! hahahaha!!! Glad you got them all fixed up and powdered. Those mites sneak up on you!

Whew, my goodness it is hard to take pictures of chicks, but had to show cuteness overload

CUTE!!! CUTE!!! I mean... that is stinkin' adorable!!

Well I got both little goat doelings home this evening & the one I drove to Hutch for is about twice the size of the younger one. I'm hoping they make friends & get so they will play together.
So glad you have your babies at home! I hope the young one will settle in and be okay. Today you can let us know how they are doing together. Are they both bottle babies? I think that would be so fun! Can't wait to see the pictures! I'd love to see what you put together for their pen, too! :)

I got NPIP'd yesterday thanks to Danz. Had a good time, and now I'm ready to start shipping birds! YAY!!!

Here is my egg basket this morning. Those are from last years K-State pullets, and my olive eggers that I raised from my copper marans. Few "other hens", are in the mix two. I crossed my FCBM cock over my wheaten and silver ameraucana hens.

My olive eggs. Some are still just a little blue looking, one more cross, and they should be a lot darker. Some times the spray paint from the CM's, leaves a funny looking color on parts of the shell.

The middle egg has the most "olive" color to me.

checoukan, those are some pretty eggs! I'm thinking about breeding for olive eggers later on this summer when I have more time.

Pics to come on the little doelings shortly.

Anyone near Haysville want to help me move my coop from my dad's shop to my backyard this evening?? I have 5 strong men ready to help so far, but the thing is stout, so we need like 3 more people! I will feed helpers dinner and they will also have my heartfelt gratitude!!!

Yesterday was a long day and I feel like someone kicked me in the back but I had a great time. I think Deerfield had her fill of NPIP in one day though!
tongue.png
She was more than ready for a new activity. My fingers are stiff today from holding the needle. I was totally exhausted but had a great time.
I almost overheated my Reese chicks on the way home. When I stopped to get the bourbon red hens I had to borrow a box and separate them because they were cooking each other. Once I got them home they appeared okay. I was afraid I had killed them. I haven't checked them yet this morning.
Thanks Hawkeye and Deerfield for your generous donations. You really know I would have probably done it all for free other than minimal state fees. I saw it as a vacation day. I did burn a tank of gas so that really helped pay for that. I'm not quite used to having a vehicle that uses more gas yet. But I do love the way that car rides and drives.
I also need to mention that Deerfield's kids are total jewels. Never have I seen such polite well behaved kids that didn't complain at all. They ran and worked and fetched and caught birds and were total loves. My kids would have been muttering under their breath and asking how much extra they would get in allowance! And Hawkeye's daughter is so cute! I got so tickled at her precious dandelion flower she picked! I got to take care of it when she chased chickens out from under the coop!
wink.png

I got my bourbon girls home too. But it was still after 7:00 when I got here. My poor birds went all day without fresh feed and water. Most of them probably had extra but I feel awful for not caring for them. I got the brooder fed and my blue gold partridge brahmas but the rest just had to suffer.
I need to get out there and get everyone fed and watered and start building cages and get birds ready to take to Gardner tomorrow early AM. Sure wish DH was off to help. I overslept this morning. Still not used to the time change, and the phone rang early for an extensive phone call. I am hoping to get the last three pups sold this weekend as well. If people just show up I might have buyers. Of course the last 2 weekends I've had no shows.
I really know nothing about egg color breeding. My focus is more on feather color. This old brain is still trying to grasp that concept let alone worrying about egg color.
Welcome tackleberry! I should have BCMs later but am still working on setting up individual pens for breeding. It never ends around here.
I got a speckled sussex roo and a New Hamp from Karen yesterday as well. I have to get some temp quarters set up for them as well today. The New Hamp will be in charge of my white rock girls to create red stars. I am also getting one from Frank next week to help out. They'll each have about 10 girls to service so they'll be happy roosters for sure.
I hatched 4 chicks yesterday while I was gone and have a ton of eggs to come out of the incubator and into the hatcher today. I'm not even sure what I am hatching until I pull them.
I really am ready for things to slow a bit.
Maybe after next week I will be able to relax a little... yeah right! My danzsizing was in true form yesterday. I took zero birds with me and came home with 15!!!
Chooks I thought you were Sparky Crows!!!

Last edited:
i have two lavender orpington roosters to give to someone who needs them (hopefully not to eat)
sad.png
i have three and i only need one.. or if you would rather have two EE roosters i have them to give to someone too
thumbsup.gif

Here is my egg basket this morning. Those are from last years K-State pullets, and my olive eggers that I raised from my copper marans. Few "other hens", are in the mix two. I crossed my FCBM cock over my wheaten and silver ameraucana hens.

My olive eggs. Some are still just a little blue looking, one more cross, and they should be a lot darker. Some times the spray paint from the CM's, leaves a funny looking color on parts of the shell.

The middle egg has the most "olive" color to me.
These are gorgeous, Checoukan!!! You've done a great job getting them! I agree with the middle egg-- it's just gorgeous. I like the spots that happens when they "misfire". My barred rocks do that from time to time. They get little speckles every now and then. I think it's really pretty.

checoukan, those are some pretty eggs! I'm thinking about breeding for olive eggers later on this summer when I have more time.

Pics to come on the little doelings shortly.
YAY!! Go post some pics!!
yippiechickie.gif

Anyone near Haysville want to help me move my coop from my dad's shop to my backyard this evening?? I have 5 strong men ready to help so far, but the thing is stout, so we need like 3 more people! I will feed helpers dinner and they will also have my heartfelt gratitude!!!
I'm just down the road from you. BUT--- there's no way I can help! We have a POD being delivered today and we are moving our entire house contents into it starting today. I'm going to be one sore puppy. I think we have some friends coming to help us too. Anyway, good luck with the move and post pictures of your new coop when you get it home!

OK, are you all ready for some goat cuteness?

Here is Penny on the left, she's the bottle baby & Patches on the right. You can see Lily my GP in the bottom left watching them. The dogs still aren't sure they belong here yet, especially Jasmine.

Patches standing in the feeder to get a drink of water. I have another really funny one with her just standing in the feeder with her little goat butt sticking up. I decided not to post that one, but it was cute.

Penny

Patches

This just kind of shows the pen from the end. It's made of livestock panels & whatever fence I had left over from my chicken pen project then the panels are covered with chicken wire & welded wire fence to keep the little ones from going through.

OK, are you all ready for some goat cuteness?

Here is Penny on the left, she's the bottle baby & Patches on the right. You can see Lily my GP in the bottom left watching them. The dogs still aren't sure they belong here yet, especially Jasmine.

Patches standing in the feeder to get a drink of water. I have another really funny one with her just standing in the feeder with her little goat butt sticking up. I decided not to post that one, but it was cute.

Penny

Patches

This just kind of shows the pen from the end. It's made of livestock panels & whatever fence I had left over from my chicken pen project then the panels are covered with chicken wire & welded wire fence to keep the little ones from going through.
Those are just the cutest things.. i love babies

Back
Top Bottom