Consolidated Kansas

OK, are you all ready for some goat cuteness?

Here is Penny on the left, she's the bottle baby & Patches on the right. You can see Lily my GP in the bottom left watching them. The dogs still aren't sure they belong here yet, especially Jasmine.

Patches standing in the feeder to get a drink of water. I have another really funny one with her just standing in the feeder with her little goat butt sticking up. I decided not to post that one, but it was cute.

Penny

Patches

This just kind of shows the pen from the end. It's made of livestock panels & whatever fence I had left over from my chicken pen project then the panels are covered with chicken wire & welded wire fence to keep the little ones from going through.
OMGosh!!! These are super, super cute! Those babies are just adorable! I love it! Then entire pen looks really good too! That is WAY bigger than I was thinking, too! You were talking about using scraps, and this is a good sized area for them! I LOVE that shelter! It looks like a milk container??? What is that?? Then they cut it open and put a gate on it... I would love to know where to get one of those! That is neat!

Hawkeye, did you get some news on the job situation? Did I miss something?
OH! I didn't say, and I don't think I meant to say that! LOL Oops! Blonde moment! I didn't want to freak anyone out. We are remodeling the house! We do believe we are moving and we've made the decision to sell. We are upgrading the home and it should make it easier to sell. We have had zero luck finding anything here and we are running out of time. But even so-- the actual move won't be until late summer or early Fall. And if some miracle happens in there where we get offered a job HERE, we'll stay. But I think my DH has given up.

checoukan, those are pretty, pretty eggs! Nice work there.

trish44, Aaaaahhhhhhh!!!! So, so cute! How often does the little one have to have a bottle?

Danz, oh gosh, was I that obvious? I was fading pretty fast, though. I'm fighting some health issues -- not much fun and I don't let it stop me unless I have no choice. Then I had to run my son to his first day at his first job, do the usual evening routine, pick son up after work and by the time it was bedtime, I was too tired to sleep. Have you ever done that?

Hawkeye all kinds of farm chemicals come in those things. We used to get chemicals into the plant in them. You can find them on craigslist however people charge a lot for them because they've discovered they can be reused for lots of stuff. Sometimes food products would come in them as well and of course those are the most desirable. I do like the way they redid this one. I had thought of getting one for a water supply for the chicken trailer but decided it would go through the floor with that much weight. I think they are normally 175 to 250 gallons.
I just took eggs from the incubator. I have one turkey egg pipped and had some other Swedish. Lavender orpington and d'uccle eggs to go into the hatcher. Not a ton but enough.
My auto waterer was plugged and I've been trying to get it functioning again. What a pain.
Hawkeye the prayers are still coming your way. Stay optimistic.

OK, are you all ready for some goat cuteness?

Here is Penny on the left, she's the bottle baby & Patches on the right. You can see Lily my GP in the bottom left watching them. The dogs still aren't sure they belong here yet, especially Jasmine.

Patches standing in the feeder to get a drink of water. I have another really funny one with her just standing in the feeder with her little goat butt sticking up. I decided not to post that one, but it was cute.

Penny

Patches

This just kind of shows the pen from the end. It's made of livestock panels & whatever fence I had left over from my chicken pen project then the panels are covered with chicken wire & welded wire fence to keep the little ones from going through.
Oh, they are so cute! I love their names too!

Yesterday was a long day and I feel like someone kicked me in the back but I had a great time. I think Deerfield had her fill of NPIP in one day though!
tongue.png
She was more than ready for a new activity. My fingers are stiff today from holding the needle. I was totally exhausted but had a great time.
I almost overheated my Reese chicks on the way home. When I stopped to get the bourbon red hens I had to borrow a box and separate them because they were cooking each other. Once I got them home they appeared okay. I was afraid I had killed them. I haven't checked them yet this morning.
Thanks Hawkeye and Deerfield for your generous donations. You really know I would have probably done it all for free other than minimal state fees. I saw it as a vacation day. I did burn a tank of gas so that really helped pay for that. I'm not quite used to having a vehicle that uses more gas yet. But I do love the way that car rides and drives.
I also need to mention that Deerfield's kids are total jewels. Never have I seen such polite well behaved kids that didn't complain at all. They ran and worked and fetched and caught birds and were total loves. My kids would have been muttering under their breath and asking how much extra they would get in allowance! And Hawkeye's daughter is so cute! I got so tickled at her precious dandelion flower she picked! I got to take care of it when she chased chickens out from under the coop!
wink.png

I got my bourbon girls home too. But it was still after 7:00 when I got here. My poor birds went all day without fresh feed and water. Most of them probably had extra but I feel awful for not caring for them. I got the brooder fed and my blue gold partridge brahmas but the rest just had to suffer.
I need to get out there and get everyone fed and watered and start building cages and get birds ready to take to Gardner tomorrow early AM. Sure wish DH was off to help. I overslept this morning. Still not used to the time change, and the phone rang early for an extensive phone call. I am hoping to get the last three pups sold this weekend as well. If people just show up I might have buyers. Of course the last 2 weekends I've had no shows.
I really know nothing about egg color breeding. My focus is more on feather color. This old brain is still trying to grasp that concept let alone worrying about egg color.
Welcome tackleberry! I should have BCMs later but am still working on setting up individual pens for breeding. It never ends around here.
I got a speckled sussex roo and a New Hamp from Karen yesterday as well. I have to get some temp quarters set up for them as well today. The New Hamp will be in charge of my white rock girls to create red stars. I am also getting one from Frank next week to help out. They'll each have about 10 girls to service so they'll be happy roosters for sure.
I hatched 4 chicks yesterday while I was gone and have a ton of eggs to come out of the incubator and into the hatcher today. I'm not even sure what I am hatching until I pull them.
I really am ready for things to slow a bit.
Maybe after next week I will be able to relax a little... yeah right! My danzsizing was in true form yesterday. I took zero birds with me and came home with 15!!!
Chooks I thought you were Sparky Crows!!!
Okay, how the heck did I miss this post??! Danz you were probably wondering why I ignored it! I didn't even know it was posted until Deerfield mentioned about her and I had to go back and look for it! Well, I'm so glad your birds got home okay. YAY on the burbons! They are so pretty! I was totally drooling over Frank's turkeys!! I would love to have some! But his are at a premium price that even I don't think I can afford! ha!! I agree that Deer's kids are just wonderful! X2 on well behaved kids! So funny-- my daughter just really took to you! Thank goodness for her, or I would have had to climb under the coop. Little kids come in handy! hahaha
wink.png
I'm with you on breeding for feather color and not egg color. That is something I don't even really want to think about. I'm going to duck my head and stick with my silkies and not try to actively learn more genetics that aren't about my fluff balls. Danz-- at first *I* also thought SparkyCrows was Chooks-- until one day I noticed that Chooks wrote on there that they were both doing some project and then I realized I just have no idea who SparkyCrows is! ha!

Hawkeye all kinds of farm chemicals come in those things. We used to get chemicals into the plant in them. You can find them on craigslist however people charge a lot for them because they've discovered they can be reused for lots of stuff. Sometimes food products would come in them as well and of course those are the most desirable. I do like the way they redid this one. I had thought of getting one for a water supply for the chicken trailer but decided it would go through the floor with that much weight. I think they are normally 175 to 250 gallons.
I just took eggs from the incubator. I have one turkey egg pipped and had some other Swedish. Lavender orpington and d'uccle eggs to go into the hatcher. Not a ton but enough.
My auto waterer was plugged and I've been trying to get it functioning again. What a pain.
Hawkeye the prayers are still coming your way. Stay optimistic.
Ahhhh... well, I'd love to get one! That thing looks awesome! Hope you get your waterer working again! Thanks, we can use the prayers, but we're moving ahead with securing our next jobs. Sigh. If something works out-- it needs to do it ASAP before we can't back out of what we're working out!

Okay, how the heck did I miss this post??! Danz you were probably wondering why I ignored it! I didn't even know it was posted until Deerfield mentioned about her and I had to go back and look for it! Well, I'm so glad your birds got home okay. YAY on the burbons! They are so pretty! I was totally drooling over Frank's turkeys!! I would love to have some! But his are at a premium price that even I don't think I can afford! ha!! I agree that Deer's kids are just wonderful! X2 on well behaved kids! So funny-- my daughter just really took to you! Thank goodness for her, or I would have had to climb under the coop. Little kids come in handy! hahaha
wink.png
I'm with you on breeding for feather color and not egg color. That is something I don't even really want to think about. I'm going to duck my head and stick with my silkies and not try to actively learn more genetics that aren't about my fluff balls. Danz-- at first *I* also thought SparkyCrows was Chooks-- until one day I noticed that Chooks wrote on there that they were both doing some project and then I realized I just have no idea who SparkyCrows is! ha!

Ahhhh... well, I'd love to get one! That thing looks awesome! Hope you get your waterer working again! Thanks, we can use the prayers, but we're moving ahead with securing our next jobs. Sigh. If something works out-- it needs to do it ASAP before we can't back out of what we're working out!

Oh Hawkeye, I had so hoped you could stay, but I totally understand you have to do what you have to. It just caught me by surprise when you said you were packing up your house. We'll all keep you in our prayers that something will still come through for you. But no matter where you end up, you're always welcome here on this forum. We enjoy hearing from you & reading your input daily.

You can find those crates on Craigslist, they had some just recently on the Wichita one for $25 each. I so wished I had the money then to go get a couple, but I have just been maxed out on expenses lately with building pens, buying breeding stock, & baby goats. I borrowed this one from a gal that raises bottle calves & wasn't using hers right now, they have a whole stack of them at their farm. I will use it until I get my shelter built from the pallets I got. I haven't hit my DH up on that yet for building materials for that. He's still digesting having to go buy materials for the hoop coop & seeing the new goat babies right now. It's best not to overwhelm him all at once with things. He took to the goats pretty well though, I think he likes them. Oh Karen, we have Penny down to two 20 oz bottles of milk a day now. She started out getting 4 a day, but we have been slowly cutting her back. She sucks that bottle right down though pretty much like it's nothing now. She is starting to eat some goat feed with pellets & grain in it. I have a bit of hay out there for them too, the older one is eating it, but the little one isn't that much yet. The bottle baby is pretty tame, she is used to being handled a lot with being bottle fed, but the other one is not sure about me yet. I plan to teach them to lead. Penny, the little one already follows you around, so she will be easy, but the other one may be a bit more of a challenge.

Danz, it sounds like you had quite a trip yesterday, that was nice of you to go & do that. I need to also get mine NPIP, but need to get some things done here first. It is on my list of things I need to do though. I hope you sell some more pups this weekend. Yeah, it sounds like your danzsizing, you're supposed to get rid of birds, not get more. Oh chicken math, it always strikes when you don't expect it. I'm glad your turkeys made the trip OK, the bourbons are pretty. I have just decided though I don't want to get any other breeds of turkeys, I'm going to stick with just the Royal Palms, I really like them because they're so friendly & calm. My Tom is such a character, I get a kick out of him.

Well I'm going to go out & start shoveling out the main coop this afternoon, that's always a chore that takes me several days to get done. I need to get started on it though, it's needing it badly. today & tomorrow should be nice so maybe I can get quite a bit done on it.

My olive eggers was just something for me to do. I was curious
wink.png
Anyway, these, cross bred hens are the prettiest hens!! They are black, with reddish hackle feathering, couple not as much, some have feathered shanks, and they all have beards, and muffs!! Really nice quiet hens, and just wonder full laying machines. Guess I should go take some pictures of them sometime.
Glad you guys got your NPIP out of the way, sure takes a lot of stress off.
I was hoping to get some chickens moved into the new barn, but still waiting on DH!! He has been so busy with water leaks, fertilizer, re-seeding pastures, that my stuff has got put on the back burner.
hit.gif
It will happen this week end I hope. Better get busy, one more bus route today, and then tomorrow, and then SPRING BREAK!!!
celebrate.gif

I am sooooo happy! I have no chicks in the house! They are all outside, at least for now. I will check them tonight and if it looks like I need to, I will bring the smaller ones back in.

In my barn there was a big shelf (4x8 maybe) and turned it into a brooder. If my drill battery hadn't died I would be completely done with it, but I still need to put the handle and lock on the door. It is such a gorgeous day, to be working but I know I will be hurting tomorrow. :)

Wow! I step away for a bit and the posting marathon continues!

WichitaKidd - Nice chicks! Good luck on this batch.

Deerfield - One of the SSXs has gone all broody on me. She hasn't laid in a couple of days, but is always in the nesting box. She gets really ****** off at me when I reach in to check underneath her.

Now for my latest pondering. My Buff Bhrama Bantam that has been hanging out in the garage has been a consistent layer. She has also been broody and really gets mad when I stick my hand in to fetch her egg. If I am not fast I get pecked. So here is my thought. When she lays an egg, could I turn out the lights reach in, grab the egg and replace the egg with a bantam chick? Would she accept it as her own? Has anyone tried this? Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom