Consolidated Kansas

Well Yates has listed pied peafowl on their consignments and I know a guy taking a black shoulder cock.
I don't quite understand their salebill tho as to when the peas sell.

Danz if you sell orp hatching eggs, I would love to buy some off you when I get a broody if you ever do that.
Oh question, today is such a pretty day it's given me spring fever! Is it too early to plant onion sets??

Thndrdancr, at Yates Center, the chickens, peafowl, rabbits etc sell in cages. They aren't auctioned. They put them in an open area and have a price on them and it's a first come first serve bases. Usually the price is a bit on the high side. If they don't sell them, they put them up for auction on Sunday. On Sunday they auction things like the cage birds, and other small house type pets. The auction on Saturday is livestock type animals.
I don't think I'd buy birds at Yates Center because I've seen lots of ratty looking ones and several sick ones in the past. Just the fact that they aren't screened is enough to keep me leery. I also know of several cases where people sold birds claiming they were young. An acquaintance was bragging he sold a 12 year old peacock for $150 and claimed he was three years old. It's that kind of practice I don't tolerate.
I don't think I'd plant onions right now simply because the ground is still frozen an inch or two down. I have some I should plant. They were last years and they sprouted and made more plants. I think I could probably produce some more onions from them rather than buy new sets.
I did go out and take the plastic of of several hundred dollars worth of Iris I got planted late. It had already frozen so I covered them in plastic so they had a chance to root before they totally froze. They are in my veggie garden though cause I didn't get a new iris bed built. Some more of my good intentions that didn't come to fruition.
I might consider selling some hatching eggs later. When we get into spring I simply run out of room in the incubators.
I do have an order for several dozen that I just can't fill right now. By the time I can, I'm afraid it will be a little late in the season.
Prairie your rooster is plenty old enough. You can usually tell if hen wants to go broody. She will growl at you or maybe even pick if you try to gather eggs from under neath her. You just have to watch them and see how they behave.
Speaking of broody I found another sebbie nest when I was out walking this morning. I need to go back out and see if I can steal the eggs while the goose is out eating or something. I really need my pen built. I want to get the geese on more calcium but it's hard to do if I don't have them penned.

I think she might be talking the Lekey auction in billings, mo?

strue, go to farm and garden and enter auction as your search term on the Joplin cl site

I see Yates is on there as well.
I saw the Yates but no joplin, only an equipment farm sale in Arkansas and a few sales in Oklahoma 5 hours away. So frustrating!

The Gardner sale is next weekend I believe, the 14th. Danz is that correct? I don't go to that one, it's too far for me. I did go to Yates Center one time, but it's a hike for me too.

There is a poultry Auction in Gardener on March 14, 2015. The Auction is run by HOAGBA (Heart of America Game Bird Association) proceeds from the auction benefit 4-H youth in 5 Kansas counties.

Strut, I don't know about the billings one, it says poultry and livestock but then just lists pigs and sheep. I would call them to see, they have phone number. Did you see that one? Also I saw one In neosho I think it's just a regular swap, not sure.
I don't know where you are exactly but that looks like it's east of Joplin. Those were both on the cl. Pardon the Lekey in billings was on Springfield ad I think.

Last edited:
Okay, at last, here is Chopper. Isn't he handsome? Love the weather today!

This is one of my Buff Sussex girls

And this is an Aloha/EE cross, the kids call her Maddy. She's a sweetheart.

Aw made me smile. I used to think Chopper was the messiest bird alive. Now I know this turkey is!!!
Your aloha girl is gorgeous. Love all those spots.
I took one tarp off the hoopcoop the turkeys were in and replaced it with a smaller one that just covers the top. The turkeys have been having sinus problems and now I know why. Once I got day light in there there is about 3 inches of straw, food, poop what have you that is soaked and stinks like crazy. Obviously the problem is from mold as I suspected. Maybe a few warmer windier days will dry it up. I tried shoveling but it was more than I could handle. I planned to relocate the hoop coops when I got the building done, now I know I have to. They definitely need fresh ground underneath.
I sprayed some Oxine on the ground but I don't know if it will help or not. Getting more sunlight in there made it much more obvious who was boys and who was girls. The boys suddenly decided the girls were there for breeding and the other boys were there to fight. I was pretty happy cause I think I only have 4 boys out there plus the pet turkey which makes 5 boys and 6 girls. I can replenish my girls I lost last year and still sell a couple pairs for breeders.
I'm going to have to do something soon if they decide to fight all of sudden. They can sure be mean to each other.
Deerfield we may have to get together soon.

Aw made me smile. I used to think Chopper was the messiest bird alive. Now I know this turkey is!!!
Your aloha girl is gorgeous. Love all those spots.
I took one tarp off the hoopcoop the turkeys were in and replaced it with a smaller one that just covers the top. The turkeys have been having sinus problems and now I know why. Once I got day light in there there is about 3 inches of straw, food, poop what have you that is soaked and stinks like crazy. Obviously the problem is from mold as I suspected. Maybe a few warmer windier days will dry it up. I tried shoveling but it was more than I could handle. I planned to relocate the hoop coops when I got the building done, now I know I have to. They definitely need fresh ground underneath.
I sprayed some Oxine on the ground but I don't know if it will help or not. Getting more sunlight in there made it much more obvious who was boys and who was girls. The boys suddenly decided the girls were there for breeding and the other boys were there to fight. I was pretty happy cause I think I only have 4 boys out there plus the pet turkey which makes 5 boys and 6 girls. I can replenish my girls I lost last year and still sell a couple pairs for breeders.
I'm going to have to do something soon if they decide to fight all of sudden. They can sure be mean to each other.
Deerfield we may have to get together soon.

Sounds like a good idea to me!

Hey if anyone goes to Gardner and sees silver pied peahens go for under $80, I will come get them from you. On the off chance that a miracle would happen. Ha

Of course I am on Kskingbee unofficial list for babies or eggs if he ever gets them or even any from that pen you have, so I might just have to be patient. Kskingbee, I bet you got quite a list there huh!

If I see any IBSP go for under $150 I'll be jumping on them for sure. Not much of a list so far, you and one other are the only ones on it. Don't worry, I'll make sure that you get either some eggs or chicks for sure.

Back
Top Bottom