Consolidated Kansas

Quote:
Daren for you its Winner winner duh! One less chicken means you are at a better ratio of game birds and pidgions/ to chickens. Keep eating man!!!
lau.gif

Can any of you help me learn a bit on what breeds are "heirloom" chicken breeds? Since I have lost more then half my flock I'm looking to see what I'll get later this year. I would really like to know what would be best for me and for my operations.

Quote:
When referring to 'Heirloom' it's not just the breed, but the lineage, as well. Rhode Island Reds, New Hampshires, Buckeyes, Iowa Blues, Dominiques, Plymouth Rocks and others are the longtime heritage American breeds, and these are wonderful dual-purpose birds when you get them from breeders with long histories of breeding for good characteristics. Check out Kathyinmo for some lovely heritage birds, particularly her Delawares and Barred Rocks. Katy has wonderful Wyandottes.

These may cost a tad more in the beginning, but you'll have a line of birds who won't fall prey to oviduct reproductive issues like internal laying in less than 2 years like many hatchery birds will, and you'll have a better flock overall for many reasons.

Quote:
When referring to 'Heirloom' it's not just the breed, but the lineage, as well. Rhode Island Reds, New Hampshires, Buckeyes, Iowa Blues, Dominiques, Plymouth Rocks and others are the longtime heritage American breeds, and these are wonderful dual-purpose birds when you get them from breeders with long histories of breeding for good characteristics. Check out Kathyinmo for some lovely heritage birds, particularly her Delawares and Barred Rocks. Katy has wonderful Wyandottes.

These may cost a tad more in the beginning, but you'll have a line of birds who won't fall prey to oviduct reproductive issues like internal laying in less than 2 years like many hatchery birds will, and you'll have a better flock overall for many reasons.

Take a look at this site, it may help you. http://www.albc-usa.org/heritagechicken/index.html Here's a link to a thread about this too. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=400344

Quote:
Look forward to seeing what ya bring
wink.png

Dunno if it's worth my time or not but I have a couple extra bags of starter I bought for my in-laws (then found out they got some already), that I could bring to trade!?!? Dunno how the swap meet thing works really...

Quote:
wink.png

Dunno if it's worth my time or not but I have a couple extra bags of starter I bought for my in-laws (then found out they got some already), that I could bring to trade!?!? Dunno how the swap meet thing works really...

Thinking I cant wait till Saturday...... Huh!

Quote:
wink.png

thumbsup.gif

Quote:

thumbsup.gif

So Glad to see that some of us can get together at swaps and auctions with out the persuasion of others
thumbsup.gif
tongue2.gif
hugs.gif

Going to the Bar now ........... Night all !

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom