Consolidated Kansas

Merry Christmas everyone! I hope you all have a great Christmas. We're spending Christmas just with the two of us since we're going to celebrate it later with our granddaughter & son & family. It's going to be a quiet day. Maybe we'll have a baby goat born for Christmas, I've been waiting on her to deliver forever it seems like. She is getting slower & slower & is laying down more these days.

I'm sure not looking forward to the nasty weather coming, this has been so nice not having to deal with freezing weather to do chores.

Dani4Hedgies I'm sorry to hear about your fall & your knees. I hope you get some answers soon & they can treat what is going on.

Last edited:
I'm not using lights. I thought about setting up something on a timer in the building but they are laying better than everyone else anyway so I'm good.
I'm getting one egg every day since my only hen finished molting. We gave her a three month break and then set up a timer to come on at 6am and turn off at 8am. It's just a little extra, but worked like a charm! :D.
Yippee!!! I got my first Breda Fowl egg today (upper left). It is a lovely translucent white. They are 28 weeks old. The brown egg is from one of my new Orpington layer, the Jubilee I think. The blue/green one (it looks greenish to me, my DH says it is blue and the picture doesn't do it justice) is from one of the Araucanas. All three were laid today. Pretty girls, pretty eggs. This is my first white egg since my pet Golden Campine died in the spring. I'd forgotten how pretty white can be.
Sharol your eggs are so pretty! I have never heard of a Breda chicken! Guess I have some googling to do! I think having a white egg really makes colors POP, so I plan to add one to our little flock. :) My two EE ladies that I bought this summer still haven't started laying, but hopefully come january I will start seeing some new colors! They should be old enough then. I moved the CClegbar and blue egg mix chicks into a partition of the coop, as they were getting very messy inside! They hatched thanksgiving and have been fun to watch grow. :) Their proof heads are the best! (The mixes are part CCL too) Hope everyone is enjoying this very WARM Christmas season! HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE! Ps- sorry danz and sharol for opening that can of worms on my green thread. I didn't know ppl would get so crazy!

Last edited:
Quote:
LOL. People always know everything about everything. You and Danz and I know what he is. A throwback that is darn cute. Be sure to let us know what color eggs his offspring lay. I am REALLY interested.

I can't stand people that think they know it all and state things like they are a professional. I was kind of getting a kick out of it cause I could just imagine how irritated this person would be if I just stood there and smiled at their lack of knowledge. I'm sure some people have probably said the same thing about me. But I always hope if I state something incorrect that someone will point it out in a nice way.
The only thing upsetting was the comment about your boy probably not even having araucana blood. I don't like people suggesting I breed a bunch of mixed birds and claim they are something else. Life would be a lot easier that way. Just let em free range and only have to tend one pen rather than about 30 of them.
I've been so busy today and finally get to set down for a little while.

I hope every one is enjoying their holiday.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO EVERYONE!

and yes sharol I will report back in a year about the egg colors
lol.png

I've got to admit that I am relieved that Christmas day has come and gone. I still have another thing with my siblings tomorrow but as far as celebrating here... it is over.
I have some cleanup to do today but other than that I think I am going to just do the minimum and take it easy. I've been working so hard lately and I really really need a day to breath. I have one customer coming at some point today as far as I know. Their weather is coming in earlier than ours so it's questionable. But I'm hoping. I have several chickens they have purchased and I'm really tired of feeding them all. Once they are gone and I get my roosters sold I should be able to empty another pen or two.
My wonderful DH bought me a very expensive generator for Christmas. We have one for the house but my building is wired from the pole and not from the house so if we lost power I could have some major freezing problems out there. I guess I'll have to learn how to hook it all up in case we loose power when he isn't here.
I have a propane heater for the building, if he ever gets it installed but even it won't work without electricity to run the fan. It's purpose of course is just to keep the water lines and eggs from freezing. The brooder area has separate heat , or will have as soon as the rest of th ceiling and wall insulation is installed.
The weather for the next week is awful. Many highs in just the 20s. I am so not looking forward to this at all. I feel pretty lucky we have gotten by so far with decent temperatures.

I hope you all had a good Christmas day. Ours was rather quiet with just the two of us. We tried out our new Kitchenaid attachments & made homemade lasagna noodles & then made lasagna. It turned out really good but took a really long time since we had not tried making the pasta before. Hopefully next time it will go faster. We still have Christmas to do with my son & his family next weekend.

Boy do I hate this weather coming in, ugh winter I just hate it. We have been really lucky this year to avoid it this long, but I still would rather skip it.

Thanks to the weather the celebration with my siblings got postponed for a week. My brother had to work cause he is a manager and the plant he works in is flooding from all the rain. Just north of us they only got an inch or two of rain but we got pounded all day. My sump pump is running non-stop. The yard is a lake...soon to be a frozen lake. It seems this past year has been a year of rain around here. Quite a change after a couple years of drought.
I guess I need to get out early and care for the birds before the real cold moves in. That wind is blowing so hard out there. I sure hope we don't loose power.
I started up the second incubator last night. I'll load it today. I hadn't set any eggs for over a week and I usually don't hold them that long but I was too busy with other things. I am sure I'll have a much lower hatch rate this time around. It's hard to believe I have so much to hatch. My layers are starting to crank up some as well. I guess they know the days are going to start getting longer now.

Back
Top Bottom