Consolidated Kansas

Quote:
Farm work, especially when you've got livestock, never stops no matter if it's 110 or -20 unfortunately. We need to get water on the silage ASAP or we'll end up having to sell even more of our herd than we're already going to have to because of the drought. We're trying to save almost 40 years of work in building our herd that is going down the tubes very quickly.

Whew! It is smokin out there! I just came back in from wetting down the run, giving fresh cold water and giving the girls some frozen yogurt. They are tearing the yogurt up. I have another pack of yogurt in the freezer for tomorrow afternoon. I am ready for a few cooler days and I'm sure the chickens are too. I want to go to the lake but with all the closings and Daren's illness due to the algae, I don't want to risk me or the kids getting sick. The lake we go to is still open but I am still too scared to risk it.

Katy, I hope it goes well with your irrigation and you don't have any problems. I didn't know that the main PO at the airport would give you your "mail" up there?! Do you have to call ahead of time, or do you just drive up there? My luck I'd go up there and they'd already be on a truck heading somewhere else. But that is a fabulous idea! Really!! You're right, that would save a lot of hours of them being without water/food and cooped up. How did you do it?

Quote:
We're putting water on the silage as I type this.

I call them and tell them I"m coming to get them. I don't get a lot of chicks anymore, I basically just hatch from my birds, but when I do I get the tracking number from the breeder and keep track of where they are.

Quote:
We're putting water on the silage as I type this.

I call them and tell them I"m coming to get them. I don't get a lot of chicks anymore, I basically just hatch from my birds, but when I do I get the tracking number from the breeder and keep track of where they are.

Hi Katy.
frow.gif
You guys have really had the drought this year. I drove by the bank on the way home from town and it said 103. I have no idea what the heat index is... much higher than that, I'm sure.

I deep watered all my trees last night so then we did get a little rain. I went out to check the gauge this morning and all that was in there was a bumble bee trying to get back out. Either he drank all the rain out of the gauge or we just didn't get much. I left him to finish drinking the water in there.

It's pretty dry here, but nothing like what you have had to put up with. There are SO many people having to thin down their herds due to no hay or water. My sis down in the SE corner of KS said they are dry as a bone, too. People are calling her and wanting all they hay they can get. She and her husband put up quite a bit. They could sell all they've got and I think it would all go to Texas.

There's a thunderstorm brewing to the north of us, but it looks like it is going to miss us.
sad.png

Keep cool and hydrated everyone!

You guys up north are so lucky. Everything is burning up here. They say a couple more days and the beans will be gone. Not sure about my corn but it seems like it would be difficult to form ears without any moisture. I rent my land for a share so if it doesn't do well I get nothing. The insurance goes to the guy that farms it cause he pays for it. I kind of count on my crops to pay my taxes.
Loralee, I'm not trying to sell you the pup but if you had a young one now you could acclimate it to your animals and have it there when your chicks were young. I think I'd let one get some size to it before I let it run with the horses though so it doesn't get trampled. I guarantee you if you do some day get a GP you will love it.

Quote:
Yeah, I might have to reconsider my fears with a big dog since you have such great luck with them protecting your animals.
smile.png

Sooooo excited! I went to Lowes this morning and picked up some wood to get started!

96635_img_3088.jpg

I didn't get everything I needed, but I got a good start. Now my husband and I can go out and decide where to put it. We still didn't decide. Which means the spot didn't get watered down. Ah well, we'll see what happens and worst case I can stop and put the sprinkler out on it and wait till tonight when it cools off. I want it closer to the house and he wants it further away. I'm trying to explain the logistics of that- like dragging out an electrical cord for the water heater in the winter and of course, filling up water and having a hose reach it, vs carrying a bucket. I'll win this one.
wink.png
hehe

Quote:
Yeah, I might have to reconsider my fears with a big dog since you have such great luck with them protecting your animals.
smile.png

Sooooo excited! I went to Lowes this morning and picked up some wood to get started!
Good luck on your project. It looks like you will be off and rolling soon. We are supposed to get rain tonight. How about you guys down there? The last rain amounted to about 3 drops. All the rain gauge had in it was a bumblebee. I think he drank what little rain might have been in there.

Which way from Wichita are you? I lived in Wichita for about 10 years. 1980 in Wichita. Hottest summer EVER!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/96635_img_3088.jpg

I didn't get everything I needed, but I got a good start. Now my husband and I can go out and decide where to put it. We still didn't decide. Which means the spot didn't get watered down. Ah well, we'll see what happens and worst case I can stop and put the sprinkler out on it and wait till tonight when it cools off. I want it closer to the house and he wants it further away. I'm trying to explain the logistics of that- like dragging out an electrical cord for the water heater in the winter and of course, filling up water and having a hose reach it, vs carrying a bucket. I'll win this one.
wink.png
hehe

IvyWoods, we are south of Wichita in an unincorporated area. Technically our address is Peck- but we don't live in any kind of town and if you blink, you'd miss what there is of that town. The upside is that there is a CoOp only about 3 miles away. Makes it fast to get grain. We're even a bit hotter than Wichita has been. Probably from the lack of trees and baked fields all around us. We've been hitting 106-107 (actual temp- not index) the last few days, and sometimes it will hover a degree higher than that for about an hour before it backs off. Last night I was out pretty late and it was still 90 degree at 1 in the morning. I shouldn't complain too much, last week our highest was 113 and the rest of the week hovered around 109-110. We've had no rain at all since this started. There was some rain a few days ago that got Wichita, but not us.
sad.png

Ozawakie- glad to see you back!

Well, we decided on the spot, but I'm totally wimping out and waiting for cooler temps- either tonight or tomorrow morning. It's almost 100 now. This is supposed to be fun, not kill me.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom