Consolidated Kansas

frow.gif
Good morning everyone - hope you all got some rain overnight. We had clearly had some when I went out this morning but the rain gauge was not registering much so I don't think it was much more than enough to wet the ground. It looks like there is potentially more to come this week though. My weather forecast even contains that dreaded four letter word: SNOW. Good grief. I hope they are wrong about that.

Danz, how are you doing this morning?

Hawkeye, I've been meaning to update you for ages on the bumblefoot bird. I removed her dressing altogether after I thought it would be healed enough not to draw up any more infection into the foot. There is still a lot of swelling but I *think* it is less than it was. And, her limp, while still there, especially when she runs, is noticeably less pronounced than it was so I do think she is in less pain. Through all of this she has never missed a step, continuing to lay, racing to greet me and right in there getting her share of whatever treats I throw out. I really have to admire her zest for life that allows her not to dwell on self-pity but get right out there and live it.

Miss Silkie ran to greet me this morning. She was on her broody break and seemed to enjoy being picked up and loved on for a few minutes. Then I set her down and started to walk towards the coop and.....kicked a bird halfway across the yard [exaggerating] and it was poor Miss Silkie. I guess she decided to run after me and managed to get in front of my big, galomphing boots. She was SO mad about it and ran screaming around the yard, running from me when I tried to get close enough to make amends. Finally she stopped and allowed me to pick her up and apologize profusely and sincerely. Apparently she forgave me because as soon as I set her down, there she was doing her best to get kicked again. Sigh.

Over and out from Broody Haven (they're dropping like flies now.....)

Last edited:
Oh dear, Danz, you were writing the same time I was. Sorry to hear about your continuing woes - I have never known a season like this one where one bad thing piles on top of another. I'm glad you found your Sebbie in time and I hope when you get outside you find that the Denagard has kicked in and the birds are looking a lot happier.

OK. I'm behind on quite a few pages of posts so I'll just jump back in and start from here. I found out why my Salmon hen has been hiding in the coop and here is where I need your help. I was dusting the flock a 2nd time yesterday after the initial dusting 2 weeks ago. When I got to my Salmon hen, I found out she has a laceration under her left wing on the ribcage area that I had missed from checking her out when she first refused to leave the coop. I feel deeply guilty of not finding it until yesterday morning.
hit.gif
I'm guessing one of the roosters caused this 3"x2" laceration. By closely examining the wound, it looks like it has scabbed over but the deeper part of it is looking darker than I like. May be because of the dried blood but I'm not sure. I have since sprayed the Vetericyn wound spray on it (twice yesterday and once this morning). Should I give her antibiotic ointment after spraying the Vetericyn? Should I administer antibiotic shot? If a shot is needed, is Penicillin the choice of drug? I only have Tylan 50 on hand but that's mostly for respiratory illness right? I saw Atwoods has the Penicillin and a few other kinds. She has been acting normal the last 2 days and has been out of the coop to eat and hang around the flock. I now only have 3 roosters and the rest are hens (20 of them). The 3 roosters have longish spurs (obviously sharp) so if you think I need to trim it down, please let me know. I'll go read up on how to trim down the spurs in case this is what you guys think I should do.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Kuan

Chicken danz,

Thanks for your guesses on my chicks. I am thinking some of the same breeds. It is really fun seeing them change a little everyday and not knowing what they will look like when they are done.

I am also sure that Fluff is also grieving and confused. I remember years ago I had a Great Pyrenees escape and run in front of a truck. His buddy, my German Shepherd, witnessed it. He was very upset for about two weeks when we brought home a new Great Pyr puppy for him.

The reason why I don't currently have a Great Pyrenees is because I don't have fencing on my land. I have Golden Retrievers that I keep on my property with an invisible fence. I have talked to a company that installs IF's about their success with Great Pyrs and they CLAIM they do contain them, Not sure if the working dog mentality would make it harder to contain one, than a pet mentality. Maybe you can look into that. A lot cheaper than regular fencing. Just be careful of the ones that a regular homeowner can buy, they aren't always as effective as the professionally installed ones. My dogs will chase deer, bunnies, coyotes out of the yard, but know when to put on the brakes at their boundary.

I talked to Josie and she recommended the in ground fencing. I really want to put a real fence on the front part of my yard area to make sure the ducks, geese and chickens stay out of the road. The estimates I have for that are unheard of. But I am researching and considering the sportdog fencing. It would still cost me thousands to fence because of the farm land. The way things are sitting I can't run the wire where I would like because the farm equipment would cut through it. I am trying to decide what to do. I don't think I could afford to pay someone to install it. Do you have any idea what the costs are for that? I would have to have thousands and thousands of feet of wire installed and at least two collars. Also with a pyrenees and their long hair I've heard that often you have to shave their neck under the collar. I'm not sure Marshmallow would ever let me do that. I see there are some pretty pricy points for long haired dogs you can purchase but because of their undercoat I'm not sure that even works. If you read this Josiechick, let me know what you've done with Molly and Lucy.
Yes Fluff is a very easy going boy. He's been a nervous mess the last few days. I want him to feel safe and secure again and know if he is here he will be okay. He's sure been getting his fair share of dog biscuits!!! When the coyotes went off and he started working last night I saw him do his doggy smile and knew he was at least happy to be working.

Danz - you mentioned your sebbie getting tangled in the electric poultry net. I am glad you found it in time to rescue it. I will use this as a time to give an extra warning for anyone that has geese - WATCH OUT FOR ANY KIND OF NETTNG OR FENCING. Those long necks can get tangled in the fencing as well as other body parts.

I have the chinese get tangled in the field fencing way too often. This is the 2 X 4 fencing. One little duffy chinese manages it on a regular basis. Head through a hole to get to something on the other side, head back through another hole, and for good measure back through yet another one. She is small with a very skinny neck - just right for weaving. And there she hangs until I find her.

A brown chinese got tangled in the electric net fence (electric off) during the heat last summer. Thankfully I found her in time, but it took a struggle to get her free and it took her several days to get back to acting normal.

I routinely check the ducks and geese several times a day and count heads whenever they come back in from the pasture. That is the only way I knew the one in the electric fence was in trouble and went to find her.

I've not had that problem before. The problem I have had is them chewing holes in it and then getting out. She was a tangled mess and I have no idea how she managed to get that tangled. I wish I could just let them free range. I never have gotten conductivity because of the drought so the whole 300 foot of it was a total loss of the expense. I doubt I could repair most of it.

Hi everyone. I hope you still remember me!

We had a rough winter. My aunt was hospitalized with very low hemoglobin levels, both of DH's parents had cancer scares (no cancer, though), two of our mowing customers died and another customer sold her house. The worst, though, was my nephew -- the one who stayed with us a short time this summer and then got married in August. His wife died of an aneurysm in January. She was 32. He's 26; I can't even imagine losing your husband or wife at that age. It all threw me into a spin and I kind of withdrew from things for a while. Then I'd come to BYC, see how many posts I was behind (2781 as of now) and it would make me feel exhausted just thinking of it. I'd leave without even getting into the forum.

It's spring and we've started gardening. Things are popping up in the flower beds and I'm feeling better mentally and physically, and I MISS YOU ALL! So, I'm just going to jump into the middle of things and not even try to catch up. I'm very sorry if I've missed major stuff. Hopefully it's all been good news.
Welcome back! I'm sorry to hear about your neice-in-law, that's so young to die that way. I'm sorry you had such a hard winter, hopefully this year will be better for you.
I've not had that problem before. The problem I have had is them chewing holes in it and then getting out. She was a tangled mess and I have no idea how she managed to get that tangled. I wish I could just let them free range. I never have gotten conductivity because of the drought so the whole 300 foot of it was a total loss of the expense. I doubt I could repair most of it.
I'm sorry you're having so many things happen at once, hopefully this is the end of it, everyone always says things come in threes. I hope Fluff can rest & feel better soon. I'm glad Marshmallow is OK, whew that's enough trauma for now. I hope your birds start recovering & you don't lose any more. I know that feeling, My birds that made it through seemed to recover pretty quickly & all are doing fine now. Whatever it was just struck really fast & hard, the ones that died just didn't have any time to get treatment. The two roosters that died were both young too, so it wasn't just older birds that died. I have come to the conclusion that the Marans aren't the breed for me. They just seem to be too prone to respiratory illnesses & haven't been hardy birds. I'm just going to try the Welsummers for dark eggs & I hope to get a few more with the eggs I have in the hatcher now that are due Weds. I'm really hoping for a rooster in that batch so I have another rooster for my laying flock since I lost two of them.

It's warm here today, but windy. I've got to get out in a bit & try to get rabbit cages cleaned out, they're just a mess. I would like to start moving some rabbits to outside hutches too, I just don't feel like I can move the mommas & babies yet since we still have some colder nights to come yet, they're still pretty little.

HEChicken, I got another RP turkey egg today, so I will have 3 to put in the batch of eggs I'm putting in the incubator Tues. or Weds. My hens don't seem to act like they're broody, so I let the turkeys out to free-range today because they haven't been out for awhile. I was kind of worried about letting them out in case the hens decided to go make a nest somewhere, but since they haven't been sitting I think they will be OK. I let out the group of guineas this morning that will come out & there was a guinea going after that huge tom turkey. I couldn't believe the silly bird would attack something so much bigger than him. Anyway, we'll see if any of these turkey eggs hatch & if they make it afterwards. They're such tricky birds to get going as I found out when I hatched some before. Hopefully since these eggs haven't traveled & were gathered here they will do better.

chicken danz.. we had a half pyrenee come to our house and stay since before thanksgiving..we tried taking him back to his owner a couple of times but he would almost beat us back home so we decided he just picked us for his new owners.. anyway the pyrenee must come through strong ...because when we had to bring home four calves to bucket feed he would sleep out there on the hay by them.. well last week we decide to start weaning them so we moved them about a quarter mile away to a different bigger pen [and i am sure he couldnt see them from the house] we went down to feed them in the morning and there he was sleeping with them again.. he comes back during the day but sleeps with them at night.. guess he thinks that is when he should gaurd them.. what wonderful dogs they are

Last edited:
Well I spent most of the day building additional pen space and cleaning out the ghetto chicken house. Then sprayed it all down with activated oxine.

I took Fluff to Garnett to be neutered this morning.

Marshmallow apparently had her timing off by his reduced speed and hit his bumper or visa versa and went for a roll.

Well then the neighbor decided to come look at the birds and one of my sebbies had gotten tangled in the electric poultry netting wire and was almost dead.

Today it is full blown and a constant reminder it is there. I was so worried about the chickens I forgot to take the prescription meds I have for it. I won't be forgetting now. You really need to catch this at first sign to get it under control or it becomes extremely painful and hard to clear. Duh!
I can't wait to hear about the shower yesterday and see pictures. Come on ladies! I am waiting.
WOW.. so one thing after the other. What is up with this year?? It's just been nuts, I sure hope my bad luck is not contagious! Hopefully they will give you something to make Fluff happy on his return trip home in the car. What a crazy thing to happen to Marshmallow! Lucky girl and I hope she really is okay. And then... the sebbie entanglement! REALLY?! It's no wonder that you are broke out right now. I'm so sorry!

Hawkeye, I've been meaning to update you for ages on the bumblefoot bird. I removed her dressing altogether after I thought it would be healed enough not to draw up any more infection into the foot. There is still a lot of swelling but I *think* it is less than it was. And, her limp, while still there, especially when she runs, is noticeably less pronounced than it was so I do think she is in less pain. Through all of this she has never missed a step, continuing to lay, racing to greet me and right in there getting her share of whatever treats I throw out. I really have to admire her zest for life that allows her not to dwell on self-pity but get right out there and live it.

Miss Silkie ran to greet me this morning. She was on her broody break and seemed to enjoy being picked up and loved on for a few minutes. Then I set her down and started to walk towards the coop and.....kicked a bird halfway across the yard [exaggerating] and it was poor Miss Silkie. I guess she decided to run after me and managed to get in front of my big, galomphing boots. She was SO mad about it and ran screaming around the yard, running from me when I tried to get close enough to make amends. Finally she stopped and allowed me to pick her up and apologize profusely and sincerely. Apparently she forgave me because as soon as I set her down, there she was doing her best to get kicked again. Sigh.

Over and out from Broody Haven (they're dropping like flies now.....)
OHMYGOSH!! poor Miss Silkie and SOOOOO FUNNY!!! I'm picturing this in my mind and just can't help but chuckle! I'm sad to say that I've kicked a silkie too. It's not like I want to, but they are such lovers, they just want to be right there at your feet! I now do sort of a sliding sweep with my foot when I walk into their pen, because they just jump all over me and want to be pet and loved on. It helps me front stepping on them and I can gently move them back a few steps so I can get in. But hilarious that she was so mad! LOL I'm also really glad that your bumblefoot hen is okay. I just wonder if she might need penicillin injections. I'd keep an eye on her and be sure she's not getting worse. We got everything out, I feel certain about that. I just think the foot was just so swollen, it's going to be a tough one to clear out and it will need quite a bit of time.

I feel deeply guilty of not finding it until yesterday morning.
hit.gif
I'm guessing one of the roosters caused this 3"x2" laceration.

I'll go read up on how to trim down the spurs in case this is what you guys think I should do.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Kuan
I think she'll be fine. But yeah, that is a rooster injury, poor thing. I would just keep an eye on it, and smell it-- make sure it doesn't stink like infection. If it smells like normal chicken smell, she's healing. I would go ahead and buy her a hen saddle. I have a few on hand for my girls, too. Just keep the saddle on until she's completely healed. The saddles cost only like $3.00, and I bought mine from a lady on BYC that makes them with snaps! I LOVE them. You can trim the spurs, or you can take them off. There are plenty of YouTube videos on how to remove the spurs with the least amount of trauma/pain. There is the "hot potato" method and the twisting spur removal method-- all of which look really easy. My birds don't grow big spurs, so I've never done it. But I did see a judge show people how to do it at a show last year. He just held the rooster, and starting gently twisting back and forth on the spur-- sort of like rolling it with his fingers. Then before too long, it just pulled right off. The rooster didn't even know it and it was done and over with in like two minutes.

I talked to Josie and she recommended the in ground fencing. I really want to put a real fence on the front part of my yard area to make sure the ducks, geese and chickens stay out of the road. The estimates I have for that are unheard of. But I am researching and considering the sportdog fencing. It would still cost me thousands to fence because of the farm land. The way things are sitting I can't run the wire where I would like because the farm equipment would cut through it. I am trying to decide what to do. I don't think I could afford to pay someone to install it. Do you have any idea what the costs are for that? I would have to have thousands and thousands of feet of wire installed and at least two collars. Also with a pyrenees and their long hair I've heard that often you have to shave their neck under the collar. I'm not sure Marshmallow would ever let me do that. I see there are some pretty pricy points for long haired dogs you can purchase but because of their undercoat I'm not sure that even works. If you read this Josiechick, let me know what you've done with Molly and Lucy.
Yes Fluff is a very easy going boy. He's been a nervous mess the last few days. I want him to feel safe and secure again and know if he is here he will be okay. He's sure been getting his fair share of dog biscuits!!! When the coyotes went off and he started working last night I saw him do his doggy smile and knew he was at least happy to be working.
Can you do what Sunflower does? She uses the above ground electric fence? If it's low enough, and not too high, it might work? Or you could even do that with the Invisible fence-- string it up? We put "gates" on our electric fencing with the horses, they made these handles that have a spring built into it so you can hook it and take it down to let tractors, trucks pass thru and then just hang it up again. The sound and the smell is a deterrent alone on the electric fencing. Might be cheaper than the I.F.?? Anyway, whatever you decide, I hope it works. Have you thought about just using T posts and woven wire for the front part of your yard to keep the birds in? Since you're not really using it for predator patroll, I wonder if you could even just use chicken wire and put it up on t posts? That would be cheap and it would confine the birds. I wouldn't be too worried about the expensive fencing-- just whatever is cheap and easy for you to put up yourself. Heck, I'd even use snow fencing if that was cheaper! ha!

Back
Top Bottom