Consolidated Kansas

Question for everyone.
One of my cochin hens acts lazy. I don't believe that she is injured or sick. She looks fine. But she constantly sets. She is usually close to the flock as they free range. But she is almost always squatting. This morning the grass was wet, so she squatted on the bottom srep of the back deck. She walks away from pressure, and I've seen her covered by the roo. I can't remember ever catching her in a nest box.
Any ideas?
I need eggs. I have 6 + lav Orpington eggs coming in the mail later this week! and do not want to run an incubator with only 6-8 eggs. Anyone have anything unique?

The mystery deepens with my "injured" goose. Yesterday morning, she was limping so badly that she didn't stray very far from the pen. By yesterday evening, she was walking much better though still limping. This morning, she is still limping and the skin on her legs is still peeling, but she seems somewhat better. On Sunday, the birds were not allowed to free range for very long because I was gone to church and then to lunch and then laid down for a nap. On Monday, the birds were out free ranging all day long. That would point to a possible nutrient deficiency (as some have already suggested) that is at least partially filled when the birds are let out to free range. I am going to try to see if I can find a niacin supplement for the birds that won't cost me an arm and a leg and see if that helps. Any other suggestion

It's a sad day here. After having chickens for just over a year, we lost our first one this morning. She was laying dead in the coop. Don't know what happened. I did notice she was hanging out away from the rest of the girls yesterday but that was it. We only have six backyard hens that all have names and are very spoiled so we get attached. Never thought losing a chicken would be so sad.

Question for everyone.
One of my cochin hens acts lazy. I don't believe that she is injured or sick. She looks fine. But she constantly sets. She is usually close to the flock as they free range. But she is almost always squatting. This morning the grass was wet, so she squatted on the bottom srep of the back deck. She walks away from pressure, and I've seen her covered by the roo. I can't remember ever catching her in a nest box.
Any ideas?
I need eggs. I have 6 + lav Orpington eggs coming in the mail later this week! and do not want to run an incubator with only 6-8 eggs. Anyone have anything unique?
That doesn't sound good. You don't mention her age. If she is laying age bring her in and fill a sink with nice warm water and let her sit in it for about 20 minutes. If she is egg bound that might help her relax. Try to feel her lower abdomen to see if you can feel an egg in there. If you can you could squirt some veggie oil, clean syringe into her vent to help lubricate her and then gently massage the area. Be careful not to put any pressure on at all or you could break the egg, which could kill her.

The mystery deepens with my "injured" goose. Yesterday morning, she was limping so badly that she didn't stray very far from the pen. By yesterday evening, she was walking much better though still limping. This morning, she is still limping and the skin on her legs is still peeling, but she seems somewhat better. On Sunday, the birds were not allowed to free range for very long because I was gone to church and then to lunch and then laid down for a nap. On Monday, the birds were out free ranging all day long. That would point to a possible nutrient deficiency (as some have already suggested) that is at least partially filled when the birds are let out to free range. I am going to try to see if I can find a niacin supplement for the birds that won't cost me an arm and a leg and see if that helps. Any other suggestion
Lizzy I told you wrong. If it is liver you need to give Milk thistle. The St. John's wort will help the pain. I am guessing the Niacin is the problem. Since you've had a drought I doubt the nutrients in the grass etc are quite up to standard. It's probably a lot cheaper to buy Brewers yeast than niacin itself. I did read that niacin deficiency in humans causes dry flaky skin so that makes me think that is the problem eve more so.
Originally Posted by jennyjane73
Sorry for your loss. I lost one of my old hens yesterday. I had her for over 4 years. She probably didn't have much laying value any more but it was still sad.

It's a sad day here. After having chickens for just over a year, we lost our first one this morning. She was laying dead in the coop. Don't know what happened. I did notice she was hanging out away from the rest of the girls yesterday but that was it. We only have six backyard hens that all have names and are very spoiled so we get attached. Never thought losing a chicken would be so sad.

So sorry you lost one of your ladies.
sad.png

I'm sorry for your loss, it's hard to lose a pet no matter what it is.

Been very busy around here. Working on coop still. Right now we are hearding them to and from the run every day. Hubby is working on the door today. He's a welder so it'll be nice and strong. Hopefully get it put in and working well by the end of the week. All the kiddos are getting big...especially my Cornish xs. Two more weeks for them. The ducks and little guys are getting big enough to know the sexes. We have five hens and one roo named Yoshi. Then the ducks named Daisy and Drake. They have all been free ranging every evening and most of the day on weekends. Loving my babies!

Little Yoshi...Mr. Adorable himself

Daisy and Drake

We worried about the ducks and chicks growing up together. But no longer. The chicks won't leave the ducks and when the ducks get seperated they squack and squack till they are back together again. Such a good mama and daddy. Can't wait till they have their own babies.

Last edited:
I have another question about my goose. If you remember, I asked a question about one of my embden geese that had hurt herself about a month ago. AT that time, she had lost a bunch of feathers and was limping. Well, this same goose is limping on the same leg again this morning. She's limping so badly that she isn't keeping up with the rest of the flock and is hanging out by herself in another portion of the yard.

I picked her up again this morning and looked at her. I don't see anything visibly wrong with her, EXCEPT that her legs look very pale in color compared to how they should look. She also has big chunks of skin peeling off on her good leg. The new skin underneath is the pale color. Is this something to worry about? I don't remember having seen the skin peel on another bird. It is almost like a sunburn, but I didn't think birds could get sunburns on their legs... The skin that is peeling is dry, like sunburned skin would be, but it is a pretty thick layer of skin, compared to the skin that peels off of me when I sunburn anyway.

Input please!!!
I love the look of faverolles, they are gorgeous birds. I had a hatchery one and she was an idiot but the breeding quality birds are lovely. Bummer about the house, that kind of happened to us when we were house hunting and it usually works out for the best. I hope they find something soon!

I think the problem with faverolles is if someone has never seen them or noticed their personality they just aren't that well known. I think the roosters are the most gorgeous birds and the hens are pretty plain. I love the contrast between the males and the females though.
Enjoyed the visit Trish. We got a big storm about an hour after you left. My brother said it rained really hard in Winfield. He said it looked like a hurricane with all the wind and stuff. Since he has been on the North Carolina coast for the last 30 years I am sure that is all he can relate to.
My son and his wife are house shopping in Wichita right now. He called yesterday and they found a house they loved that was at the very top of their price range. It had only been on the market two days. They put in an offer and got beat out the same day. I told him there must be something better in store for them. I do hope they find a house soon. They are living in a motel right now since they closed on the sale of their house this week.

I am avoiding all the things I should be doing. Lalalalala....alright, really must get on with it. Need to run to town to do some errands and this house is a MESS!!

Ok, so hope all had a wonderful Memorial Holiday, I wanted to show off my nearly complete new coop.......it is sooooo much nicer than my first one I built!

:weee

!

Ok, so hope all had a wonderful Memorial Holiday, I wanted to show off my nearly complete new coop.......it is sooooo much nicer than my first one I built!

wee.gif

!
How cute and landscaped too!!!!
Josiechick glad you popped in. I knew you'd have some answers for Lizzy.
My little group of goslings is doing a bang up job of mowing for me. I wish I could fence in the whole east lot for them. Every time I think I have time to mow this week it rains again. Before that we had nothing to mow.

I'm having one of those not so great days today. I honestly hate dealing with people. There are some really wonderful people in this world but there are others I wouldn't give credit for being human. Why are some people so nasty?

Back
Top Bottom