Consolidated Kansas

I love a mystery. My two broodies are in separate nest boxes that adjoin on one side. Graycie just came off the nest for a little bit to eat and drink, and under her are the following chicks:

One light yellow chick, two buff chicks with back wing stripes (they are both the color of the one behind the black chick, the light just makes the other one look lighter), and 2 black chicks with white chest and wing markings. She hatched the lavender chick on Saturday. She started out with 6 viable eggs before the lavender chick hatched. (It is having a drink behind the camera.) There is still an egg in the nest that has pipped. 2 + 2 +1 +1 is 7. Where did the other chick come from? Did it come over from the other nest box? It would have required hopping out from under Copper and hopping back up into the other nestbox.

Stinkin' cute, aren't they. @chicken danz which ones are which? Is the lightest one without black markings the white orp? You gave me White, Lavender, Jubilee, Chocolate, and BBS (there was only 1 BBS egg and it was under Graycie and it DID hatch)

Oh, and Copper has about 3 chicks under her with a couple that are still in the pip stage. I'm going to move the eggs to the brooder if they come off the nests with the babies.

Last edited:
That's awesome! Thank you for fostering. It can get crazy but it's a lot of fun. There's so many kids out there that need a loving home.

jennyjane, that's awesome that you are planning to adopt him.  I'm sure he's excited about that, too!  I'm glad he loves the chickens, too.  I didn't even know The Salvation Army was a foster organization, too.  We just chose St. Francis, because that's the organization my sisters 'n law use.  One of our sons is 12, and our oldest daughter is 14.  My second cousin who we kept last spring/summer is 13.  He was a perfect fit with our family, and it helped that we already knew him and he knew us.  :D   Our other two children are 10 and 8.  We all miss him, but he still comes to visit some weekends and will be having a week-long stay after he attends church camp with the two oldest this summer.  The fact that he and his mom know we are here for them makes everyone feel better and more loved, I think. 

sharol, beautiful chicks!

On my cross chicks, I didn't expect to see spots on the F1s. As it turns out, I have plenty of spots! I'm using these to improve size and structure on the Alohas. These will be crossed back to Alohas and that should add the yellow legs back in. The chicks are 2 weeks old. So here are my Buff Sussex X Aloha and Speckled Sussex chicks:

It will be fun to see how they grow out!

I love a mystery. My two broodies are in separate nest boxes that adjoin on one side. Graycie just came off the nest for a little bit to eat and drink, and under her are the following chicks:

One light yellow chick, two buff chicks
with back wing stripes (they are both the color of the one behind the black chick, the light just makes the other one look lighter), and 2 black chicks with white chest and wing markings. She hatched the lavender chick on Saturday.
The yellow chicks with the dark feathers or stripes would be Jubilees. Also the solid yellow could be a jubilee, or a BBS splash. A white orp will be a definite white chick not yellow at all. If you hatch one you will know instantly. I can't say for sure looking at the picture on that one.)
It's hard to see color tone in pictures and harder if you have nothing to compare. Looking at the picture I would say the black colored chick in the back is a chocolate. You can see a color difference, however slight, between the BBS blacks and the chocolates. So I'd say that the one in the front is either a BBS and the one in the back is a chocolate. Or the light one without stripes is the BBS and you have two chocolates. Look very carefully at the colors of the two dark ones and if they are different you will see a brownish tint to the chocolate one. I'm so used to them I can pretty much tell by looking but not every time. Also the chocolates sometimes tend to be slightly smaller than the BBS.

She started out with 6 viable eggs before the lavender chick hatched. (It is having a drink behind the camera.) There is still an egg in the nest that has pipped. 2 + 2 +1 +1 is 7. Where did the other chick come from? Did it come over from the other nest box? It would have required hopping out from under Copper and hopping back up into the other nestbox.
Maybe she stole an egg???
Stinkin' cute, aren't they. @chicken danz which ones are which? Is the lightest one without black markings the white orp? You gave me White, Lavender, Jubilee, Chocolate, and BBS (there was only 1 BBS egg and it was under Graycie and it DID hatch)

Oh, and Copper has about 3 chicks under her with a couple that are still in the pip stage. I'm going to move the eggs to the brooder if they come off the nests with the babies.
Can't wait to see what else hatched.

sharol, beautiful chicks!

On my cross chicks, I didn't expect to see spots on the F1s. As it turns out, I have plenty of spots! I'm using these to improve size and structure on the Alohas. These will be crossed back to Alohas and that should add the yellow legs back in. The chicks are 2 weeks old. So here are my Buff Sussex X Aloha and Speckled Sussex chicks:

It will be fun to see how they grow out!
Those lighter colored ones are beautiful. The last one looks very sussex but I love the light on light spots. Very cool. Can't wait to see a feathered out version.
I went to the bank today and sent a wire transfer to pay for my Bobcat. Then came back home and headed to my friends house. I spent the entire afternoon running cable. I got it all run but don't have the outlets wired or the lights. I plan to run back over for a while tomorrow and try to get them at least well started. I am totally exhausted though. I think they were all surprised at how much work this little project is. None of them know anything at all about wiring. I had them stapling cable and stuff. I am trying to teach the younger man, my friends son how to do some basic wiring. He seems really anxious to learn. I felt really bad when I had to make him redo a couple of connections that weren't right. Better than having a short or a fire later on though. He had to go to work so I said I'd come back tomorrow before he has to work again and show him some more.
Meanwhile my work here was kind of slack. I guess I will have to get up earlier tomorrow and see what I can get done.

danz, the darker ones are Buff crossed with Speckled, so they are Speckled like but hopefully a lighter version. I'll cross them with the Alohas to get the yellow legs. It'll be fun to see how they ultimately feather out. You already know how much things can change from this point on but I really love those light colored chicks and am hoping I get something similar in a mature bird.

Are you guys in agreement that these 3 are roosters? They will be 4 weeks tomorrow. their legs are huge as well and they like to peck the others down on their heads!

I am starting to line up homes for them but I am just about 100% sure!

Last edited:
ashncarson I've forgotten what breeds those were and can't see enough for sure. The top two I would definitely say were cockerels. The bottom one I can't tell. When I sex a bird I not only look at comb but body shape and feather shape.
Deerfield can't wait to see what those birds look like once they are grown out.
Zigzag I don't see where any one answered you. Trish skins her birds regularly as well as HEChicken, who has been absent for a while. When I skin, I cut the legs off at the "knee" joints, the wings at the "elbows". (There's not enough meat there to mess with in my opinion. Then I slit the skin up the middle of the body and basically pull it off like a body suit. The trick, like all things with dressing birds, is to remove the skin as soon as you can after bleeding it out. Don't let the muscles tighten up or it will be harder to do.
I was awake very early today so I finally just got up. Feeling the effects of too much time on my feet yesterday.

ashncarson I've forgotten what breeds those were and can't see enough for sure. The top two I would definitely say were cockerels. The bottom one I can't tell. When I sex a bird I not only look at comb but body shape and feather shape.
They are possible wyandotte mixes with a few other birds...but mostly wyandotte. I will try to go get a better picture today. Darn rain on and off again!

I now have two turkey hens sharing the same pen. One has 14, the other has 11.

I took an update picture of the Java hen and her 12 chicks. The 8 I dried out in the incubator are just as active as the other 4. I really thought most were already dead, when I but them in the incubator, because they were all water-soaked. They were not moving, and I carried all 8 in in one hand. But they had just hatched out so I guess I just re-hatched them.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom