Consolidated Kansas

Well we have had a really trying week. My dh has been suffering from a back injury. He has advanced disc degeneration and decided to see a chiropractor to try and get some relief from the pain but it did more harm than good. He has been wheelchair bound most of the week. I have installed grab bars along the living room and have a few more to install for him to be able to get around the house. The V.A is setting up a new scan to determine how bad his back is and will be sending him to their pain management clinic to put him on pain medication. It has been really hard for me to care for him as well as the two little boys. The older kids help a little bit when they are home but have spent most of their time at grandpas so they don't have to help. Its kinda funny to have to set up the wheelchair and get him into it and then take the boys one on each hip to try to go grocery shopping until we get to the carts. And then there's the tiredness. Between the boys and dh not sleeping well lately I haven't slept much myself. On a brighter note, the pool is drained and moved, half of the water system for the flock is installed, the compost box is built, grab bars are installed and I have become really good with a screw gun! Just seems like we can't catch a break this year.

I am so sorry to hear that. It was hard enough for me to manage two little boys and my little farm by myself, I can't imagine caring for an injured loved one at the same time. Kodo's to you for managing it, that's strength.

The V.A. has always done well by my Dad, lets hope that they do well by your husband too. My grandmother always used to tell me "Well, think on it this way Kasey, when things hit rock bottom, no where to go but up." Things can't stay bad forever, you have my prayers.

What do you use on them?
I have been using Sevin and had good luck with small infestations, like a single broody.
I am starting a good deep clean of my entire coop and pens....if the weather would cool off....a bit.
I use permethrin II. I make sure to spray all the cracks in the wood in the coops etc because they often hide in the cracks. If you feel you might have a case of mites or lice you need to repeat the spraying in 10 days. It's time consuming but worth it for the health of your birds. Mites or lice can cause severe anemia in birds or even death if they get bad. I even sprayed the new building this time. It seems cooler weather makes them flourish so I'd like to make sure I have a leg up on it before fall. I haven't got the old brooder done yet. I have nothing in there right now but I want to clean it out and pressure wash it before I treat. I want to have it ready for a fresh start if I need to use it.
Originally Posted by RooksMom
I had two babies in the incubator this morning. One had hatched yesterday afternoon, and I took HER out to the mamas about 5:30 (a.m.). One egg didn't develop (candled it last night). The other one had just hatched, so SHE will be going to the hens tonight or tomorrow morning. That leaves me with either 8 or 9 hatchlings depending on whether the littlest one survived the night. The hens were pretty adamant that I NOT take her in to the incubator yesterday. Those little girls bite HARD.

Both new hatchlings were Jubilees and seem healthy and strong -- just hatched a little later than the others. I'm glad I had the incubator ready.

I'll try for pictures today.
Yay! You'll be putting that new coop in business sooner than later!

Well we have had a really trying week. My dh has been suffering from a back injury. He has advanced disc degeneration and decided to see a chiropractor to try and get some relief from the pain but it did more harm than good. He has been wheelchair bound most of the week. I have installed grab bars along the living room and have a few more to install for him to be able to get around the house. The V.A is setting up a new scan to determine how bad his back is and will be sending him to their pain management clinic to put him on pain medication. It has been really hard for me to care for him as well as the two little boys. The older kids help a little bit when they are home but have spent most of their time at grandpas so they don't have to help. Its kinda funny to have to set up the wheelchair and get him into it and then take the boys one on each hip to try to go grocery shopping until we get to the carts. And then there's the tiredness. Between the boys and dh not sleeping well lately I haven't slept much myself. On a brighter note, the pool is drained and moved, half of the water system for the flock is installed, the compost box is built, grab bars are installed and I have become really good with a screw gun! Just seems like we can't catch a break this year.
Be prepared for unsolicited advice, but I do know what I am talking about. Has your DH had a recent MRI? If he hasn't had previous back surgery he could be a great candidate for one of the less invasive procedures. I am leary about going to a chiropractor unless they use an impact tool to adjust you. I learned when I had my first neck injury that if a chiro had "popped" my neck and stressed it the wrong way it could have paralyzed me for life. I have chiropractor family members and there is a time and place for them, if you don't have spinal injuries or degenerative issues. That is the time to rely on medical professionals.
Pain management clinics are great but I sure don't recommend just treating with medication. There are several procedures they can do which can actually help interrupt the pain signals from the nerves. Medication usually won't help but just masks the pain and you gain nothing. Also a tens unit is extremely helpful for reducing pain at home. They can write you an order for one and you won't have to pay for it out of pocket.
I speak from total experience. Seven years ago I could barely walk. I've been having spinal surgeries and been treated form them for the last 20 years. The key to getting relief is to build those core muscles and to make yourself move to increase endorphins. You literally have to work through the pain if you are going to gain anything at all. It's hard to do when you can't even lay in bed without pain.
I've been told more than once I am a candidate for narcotics but I refuse to take them. I make myself move and have unfortunately had to have several major spinal surgeries. I have another one coming up soon. If your DH used a walker instead of a wheelchair he would be one step up on the problem. Just sayin'.
It's been trying to rain off and on this morning. It wasn't supposed to be raining in this area today but it's definitely here. I think maybe the cool front has picked up some speed.

Finally, a posting box with editing bars. I've had a hard time getting that to come up, and without it, I can't post pictures.

Baby pictures. Danz, any input on colors? (some are 2 pictures of the same chick -- I'm sure of 1 lavender, 2 jubilees, 2 BBS (I think 3 or 4) with a total of 9 chicks.) The moms think it is too chilly for them to be out much yet.

Below: Pretty sure these are BBS.

Below: one lavender, 1 bbs (top left), one mottle (bottom right?)

One BBs (top), one Jubilee (bottom)?

Below: top right mottle (same chick as before), partial left lavender, bottom bbs?

Jubilee and lavender (I know these)

We made a whirlwind trip down to OKC yesterday to see my son & grandbaby. It was a good day & it was so good to see them, even if we didn't get to spend as much time as we would have liked. My little grandson who is 18 months old is growing like a weed & he is such a little character, he's really a happy kid most all of the time. We went to the little water park close by to where they live & watched him play in the water for awhile, he had a blast & didn't want to leave. It's hard to get away a lot of the time with my DH working so much & all of the birds & animals to care for. My son is still trying to deal with his injuries from his car accident & hasn't been able to go back to work. He has been looking for another job but hasn't been able to find anything yet that he can do with his back & neck injuries.

It's hot as everything today, ugh I'm not looking forward to going out there today. I will be glad to get a break from this heat for sure, I just can't take it. I need to do things out there like getting my coops cleaned out but I can't do it in this heat. It's supposed to start cooling off but we have rain in the forecast as well.

sharol those are some really nice looking chicks.

Last edited:
It's a muddy mess here but the temperature is so decent for a change. The garden also got a nice drink of water. I've, for the most part, given up on it. It did so well I was hoping it might start to die haha. So there will be plenty of cracked tomatoes soon I'm sure. I've got some more work to do on the coop we started. Need to get some pallets cut up and I should be able to get that done today with it being so much cooler. I have some cockerels and rabbits that need to be dispatched for the dogs raw food as well but I don't know if I'll get to that today.

Rooks mom thank you it has been hard to keep up. Danz he has a tens unit that the va issued him 2 yrs ago. We are waiting to find out when he goes in for his new scan to see how much he has deteriorated since his scan 2 yrs ago. Apparently he hasn't been telling the whole story when he tells me what the Dr says. He is using the wheelchair for work and if we have to go to Sam's, stuff like that but has been using the grab bars I installed around the house so he is walking and keeping some strength in his leg. I have also been massaging his hip, leg and foot to keep good blood flow and have been working his muscles. I am very familiar with this type of injury and rehabilitation so that really helps. Too bad it don't help his aditude any. I think i need to get recertified in cna and hha maybe the va will compensate me for caring for him. I really hope it don't result in surgery that will really burden our family right now but its in Gods hands and whatever trial he puts before us we will make it through. The pain management clinic don't make me happy either, he already has partial disability and PTSD as well as being a recovering alcoholic I don't need him addicted to pain meds too especially since the va er's solution was to give him a shot of daladad and send him home. Sometimes it don't seem like they care about their vets very much. It's been raining since last night so everything is pretty soggy around here so I won't be getting much done outside today. But I guess that's a blessing in disguise cuz the kids have had a 4 day weekend and the house is showing it. I would so rather sleep today but there's too much to do. I hope everyone has had a good weekend.

Rooks mom thank you it has been hard to keep up. Danz he has a tens unit that the va issued him 2 yrs ago. We are waiting to find out when he goes in for his new scan to see how much he has deteriorated since his scan 2 yrs ago. Apparently he hasn't been telling the whole story when he tells me what the Dr says. He is using the wheelchair for work and if we have to go to Sam's, stuff like that but has been using the grab bars I installed around the house so he is walking and keeping some strength in his leg. I have also been massaging his hip, leg and foot to keep good blood flow and have been working his muscles. I am very familiar with this type of injury and rehabilitation so that really helps. Too bad it don't help his aditude any. I think i need to get recertified in cna and hha maybe the va will compensate me for caring for him. I really hope it don't result in surgery that will really burden our family right now but its in Gods hands and whatever trial he puts before us we will make it through. The pain management clinic don't make me happy either, he already has partial disability and PTSD as well as being a recovering alcoholic I don't need him addicted to pain meds too especially since the va er's solution was to give him a shot of daladad and send him home. Sometimes it don't seem like they care about their vets very much. It's been raining since last night so everything is pretty soggy around here so I won't be getting much done outside today. But I guess that's a blessing in disguise cuz the kids have had a 4 day weekend and the house is showing it. I would so rather sleep today but there's too much to do. I hope everyone has had a good weekend.

I'm sorry you're having such a rough time, I hope it gets better soon.

I've been slowly moving birds out of the growout pen trying to get it emptied out. I may have to use that pen when my new pullets get here for the New Hamps I have in with the rooster that goes with the pullets. They have been keeping the Partidge Orp rooster company while he has been by himself. I moved all of the young guineas out of the growout pen yesterday. I had found one last female & added her to the breeder pen & kept one male violet since they're hard to find. The last 4 males I turned out to run with the other males outside to eat ticks, there are 12 out there now. They stay around pretty good since I have females in the pen, they come back at night to roost in the trees above it. I also put the last group of 3 pullets in the main coop last night from the growout pen. It will be fun this week trying to get them to go in at night. I finally got the other group going in so figured it's time to work on the last group. I only have a few young birds left in that pen now. I have a trio of young Cream Legbars I have up for sale & a few others as well as a couple of roosters that need new homes, one SS & one Silver Penciled Rock. I got my pen & stall cleaned out where I had sold a group of birds in the breeder coop & got my Silver Penciled Rock breeding group moved yesterday as well. I was pretty happy to get that accomplished. If it will stay cooler now I can get my coops cleaned out. It has been raining some today though, so it probably won't happen today.

Last edited:
Finally, a posting box with editing bars. I've had a hard time getting that to come up, and without it, I can't post pictures.

Baby pictures. Danz, any input on colors? (some are 2 pictures of the same chick -- I'm sure of 1 lavender, 2 jubilees, 2 BBS (I think 3 or 4) with a total of 9 chicks.) The moms think it is too chilly for them to be out much yet.

Below: Pretty sure these are BBS.

# 1 =BBS
Below: one lavender, 1 bbs (top left), one mottle (bottom right?)

#2=Yes you are right on all.
One BBs (top), one Jubilee (bottom)?

#3=I agree
Below: top right mottle (same chick as before), partial left lavender, bottom bbs?

#4 =splash or mottled BBS, lavender, and mottle
Jubilee and lavender (I know these)
Yep right again! You're getting these orp colors down!!!

Honestly there is a point where surgery is the only viable option. Unfortunately a person needs a very good neurosurgeon who will honestly advise you the best path to take. You probably won't get that from the VA. My neurosurgeon will absolutely not perform surgery unless it is totally necessary. But I visited others while I was dealing with work comp in the past, that obviously would do surgery on anyone. And others yet, that only wanted to give out more drugs for pain. In this case a true professional really is an asset.
I'm glad he is using the rails and working those muscles. I have spent a great deal of time on a daily basis with tears in my eyes from pain just trying to walk. Most of the time people see me I look totally normal though. Because I do make myself get up and walk and move to get those endorphins kicking in. I go hard pretty much all afternoon and avoid a lot of contact with people in the morning. But by evening it all catches up and I spend most evenings in bed either with the tens unit or a heat pad.
In my case I have an unstable spine so surgery is the only option when I reach a certain point. I refuse to accept it when I am told that narcotics are the answer. Maybe when they run out of disk that can be fused I will have to give in, but I'll do everything else first.
Let me tell you though: If you are a true candidate for surgery there is nothing like waking up after surgery . Even though you have severe pain from the surgery itself you immediately notice that that nerve pain is gone. There is nothing even close to it and getting relief is beautiful.
I would certainly make sure I went with him when he goes to the pain clinic and explain to them that meds is not the answer you want.
It really is hard to keep from being a rip roaring downer when you are in pain all the time. I hope he finds something that helps.
I need to get out and start dumping water out of feed pans. I suppose we needed rain but right now it's just another wrench in my plans to get things done.

Garlic! Dang it. Lol. I forgot all about the stuff and haven't even ordered it. Not that I need to I have plenty I could probably use as seed garlic. It's too easy to grow not to plant again though.

Last edited:

I just want to show off this beautiful guy. He's going to be a farm chicken soon.

Back
Top Bottom