Consolidated Kansas

Quote:
A craigslist add, the guy is here in Topeka just across town! $2 each they're two days old! Came from some really pretty NPIP parents (on site)! LINK

I think it is wonderful when a dog becomes a protector of your flock rather than a threat to them. My dogs started with goats but moved to poultry as I did.
I'll post pics about once a week of the pups so you all can see them grow.

Hi there,not from Kansas but from Iowa.I am looking for some bobwhite and ringneck pheasant chicks to be shipped to Iowa.not many that have them around here.we are going threw Kansas on our way back from Texas the middle of June and could maybe pick some up somewhere if not to far out of the way.we will be taking 35 down to Texas.also looking for adult male or pairs of Red Golden and Lady Amhurst Pheasants.Thanks! Mike

frow.gif
I'm afraid I can't help you out with those game birds, but my husband will be traveling though Iowa June 1&2 and on to MN. He's going to be hauling a new buck goat and a bottle calf back part of the way.........and he will be driving my jeep! I'm pretty easy to get along with, but if those animals get "you know what" all over the back of my jeep, I won't be a happy camper.

You've got quite an assortment of animals there. How do you like your lakenvelders? I just got some golden lakenvelders (not APA recognized) this year, and I really like them. They have been great layers and the chicks seem to hatch like popcorn.

Hope someone here can help you with the gamebirds. There are a number of people on here that raise them.

New today, will have a build thread when completed! $0 so far... well $8 if you include the bulbs but they've been here awhile!

8f2e43bf.jpg

I can't wait to see how far all this wire goes! Thanks again ChooksChick!

I had a very weird egg today. A hen laid it on the ground were I feed table scraps. The hen was a brown egg but had light coloring on it that was very rough and didn't feel like a regular egg. It almost felt like sand paper. I haven't been giving any oyster shell. Could this be a problem?

Thanks!
big_smile.png

MERCY KILL...

WARNING -- Graphic details follow!

Well, my averages have been good so far, considering this is my first year with chickens.

I watched one chicken die slowly at the hands of the other birds. I paid the price knowing he was suffering for several days as the others pecked him to death. That was a lesson learned, I told myself I wouldn't let it happen again, and I didn't.

For the last several days, I noticed one of my CornishX's was not doing very well. The others would run away when I came in to stir up the bedding, but one didn't. I pushed the bedding right over his head and he was buried in wood chips. I had to pick him up out of it.

Just this evening, I went in to feed and water and I noticed he was not able to walk. I tried to scare him up, but he just sat there on his butt, legs out and trying to fly off his ass onto his feet. No luck.

I am new to chickens and don't know much about them, but I do know when something is dying. I've seen it too many times already through friends, relatives, and pets. This poor chicken's goose was cooked.

He was less than half the size of the others, I watched him get trampled on, pecked at, and huddle in the corner.

I didn't want to do it but I did. If I didn't the other birds would, and a slow death is a million times worse than a quick one.

I've never killed anything intentionally before, so this was my first.

I picked him up by the body, grabbed his neck, and spun him around until his head fell off. He fell to the ground bleeding and kicking just like the folklore says. It was moving to me, and not in a good way.

I know in just a couple of weeks I will be processing these birds, but there is something sad about watching something die slowly and being left with the task of taking it out of its mercy.

I threw its body in the bed of the truck and drove it down to the woodpile as I did with the other bird, threw it in and left it for the coyotes. The least I can do for mother nature.

I apologize if I sound like a big wimp, but I am and that's God's honest truth. Perhaps one day I'll understand that things happen at no particular fault of you own, and yet you are left with the difficult task of of cleaning up the mess.

I'm a little bumbed, but I know it is part of Mother Nature's plan. I just hate to think that a living thing died in vein, possibly because I did something wrong.

Anyway, on a much lighter note, the chicken door works great and the chickens are doing great. When I got my 14 month laying hens, the others looked like chicks, but now, the laying hens look like chicks. It will be pretty awesome to have some homemade chicken noodle soup. The next week I am going to acquire some good butchering gear including a scalder and plucker. Hopefully D day will be easy on me and the wife. I don't think we are going to butcher all of them, I am going to go through and select a few hens and a rooster to keep and the rest go in the freezer.

Wish me luck on my first run of fryer birds.

Cheers,
bnjmik

Quote:
I understand your pain. I have an 11 month old Blue Ameraucana roo that is very skinny, been that way 4 to 6 months. I have tried putting him in a cage by himself, different types of feed, Terramycin, de-worming and dusting for mites I just can't get him to put any weight on. He is friendly, full of energy and his crop is full. His comb is not very red and he is missing all the feather on the front of his neck. I just can't bring myself to end his life, I feel he may have a chance. He does not look to be in pain. He keeps up with all the other chicken he is with now.

I am about to let him free range and feed the local foxes.

Back
Top Bottom