Constipated? Chick appears to be in distress help?!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChocoboMamma, Mar 21, 2016.

1. ChocoboMamma

ChocoboMamma Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2015
    One of my newish chicks, I've had them for about 2 weeks, appears to be in distress. Whenever she poos she chirps loudly and it tends to take a lot longer than it should. 5 to 10 seconds sometimes instead of basically instant. She seems to be tucking her tail. And looking her over today her vent seems almost distended. Does anyone know what might be wrong? I did have a cocci issue that i nuat fi ished treating them all for. Could that be related? I do want to include that other than that one thing she is totally normal, eating actively at a normal amount and drinking regularly as well.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Make sure the brooder temperature is not too hot, and they have a cooler spot to get to. Dehydration can cause constipation, as well as something stuck in the GI tract such as bedding. You may want to give her a few drops of molasses or castor oil to lube the tubes. Stimulation of the vent with a QTip and some olive oil might help also.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by