constipated goat?

Also. I was wondering if this happens again can I give him castor oil? I have some in the house from an overdue pregnancy(horrible) and wondered if this would be a remedy that would be SAFE and useful. Thanks for all the advice.

taraann, weaning by weight is fine, although I personally would wait until 23lbs rather than 20. I've done 20lbs before but in my experience it usually only takes them another week to hit 23, and that extra week does them a lot of good. But only wean if he is eating his grain well.

Your replacer looks pretty good ... the key bit there is "Protein from Milk Sources" 22%, total protein 22% so it is a whole milk product, which is spot on. I tend to use something a touch higher, around the 25:25 mark, but from what I understand about American milk replacer products you dont get as high quality as we can get here. And as long as its over 20:20 you are doing well.

Reconstituted Kid-Gro may be refrigerated up to 24 hours. Discard any unused portion after 24 hours. If warmed in microwave only use medium setting and mix thoroughly and regularly. Check temperature before feeding.

Make sure you are doing this ...

About the castor oil I'm honestly not sure. I've never used it, I know you can give them cod liver oil though.

If I had to use a US replacer this is the one I'd use

http://www.mannapro.com/nurseall.htm

But if your little guy has been going alright on the other one, I'd talk to your vet, its probably going to cause more harm than good switching him over now ... if you do decide to switch him, do it slowly by mixing it in 1/4 to 3/4 of the normal stuff, for a few days, then 50:50, then 3/4 new stuff, 1/4 old stuff ... you get the idea.

Its good that he'd had a movement since the oil ... if you think he needs it, you can give the oil daily for several days. If he's moving some and still happy, eating and playing, I wouldnt do the enema yet, only if he goes down hill​

I dont give oil of any type unless I have to as it coats the rumin and killis off the good flora and then you need to give probios. A baby enema will help like the Fleet baby enemas or a Glycerian suppository. This is what I use before oil.

Username taken, I have only been making enough formula up for one feeding, I discard the small amount left over and then sterilize everything in the sanitize cycle in my dish washer. I am glad that this milk replacer is OK, I am actually in Canada and I had to go to four different feed stores before I could even find kid milk replacer. I will wait until 23lbs to wean, Although as yet he doesn't touch his grain.
The feeding directions on the grain is to feed as much as they will eat for 15 mins twice a day. Is this incorrect. should I be leaving it out for them all the time?

Also I am unsure of the quality of this food. It is a starting,growing,breeding,lactating food for goats. Should I try to find something made particularly for kids?

I would leave the feed out for him all the time, and whenever he gets hunrgy and starts screaming when its not bottle time, take him to the feed, and even put some in his mouth. He will slowly get the hang of it.

You need to check the protein level of the feed - it needs to be at the least 16%, but I much much much prefer 18 - 20%. You can also mix in some rolled oats (for human consumption, we make porridge with them, I think you guys would make oatmeal) because they are tasty and will encourage him to eat.

as far as the shots and worming...I would wait until you have all your problems taken care of before you add more...I wean between 60 and 100 days...but before weaning the kids get creep fed...meaning only they are able to get to a certain type of feed...They , as has been previously mentioned, start nibbling on the pelleted feed as early as the first week...By weaning time they are totally dependant on the feed...I feed Showmaster meat goat developer to all the kids from weaning for about 6 weeks..its a pelleted feed 16% protein with Decox(Decoquinate)added to help prevent coccidiosis.and the symptoms that you listed could lead a person to believe coccidiosis might be the problem..It is to be fed at the rate of 3/4 of a pound to a 30 pound kid...you can work the math from that...generally I feed about what they can eat in 15 minutes in the morning and at night...the way I feed isn't the cheapest but I feel it gives you the biggest kids after their first 150 days +/- ...for either breeding stock or wethers.... You may want to give a shot of BoSe(google it for the info) to this kid if it seems weaker than you think it should be...I wouldn't worry too much about it unless it starts to appear lethargic or quits eating all together...I never feed oil and have never use an enima as I feel that could hurt the rumin development....Best advice is to do as you vet says...and have him/her give you a scrip for BoSe....

I realize this is an old thread but I now have an 8-9 week old bottle fed boy (eats pellets, sweet feed, hay) and about anything else inside and out that he can get his lips on! He gets whole milk bottles now, has access to plenty of water but exhibits the "dog poop" position about once or twice a day. He still plays like a perfectly normal baby goat with my dogs & chickens and through the fence with my grown does (their horns are a whole different concern). I know he poops normally more than 2-3 times daily. What do I need to change to make sure he isn't getting stopped up or is he actually copying my dogs :(

As long as he's pooping don't worry about it. If the pellets appear very dry and he is straining, that is something else. I have used infant glycerine suppositories on baby goats but it doesn't sound like your kid needs them. If he is nine weeks old you can start weaning him. Just make sure he is eating hay and grain well. He certainly doesn't need milk after 12 weeks.

Hi. My husband and I rescued two borour/alpine .one Nanny and a Billie. On Feb 2nd 2018 it was 25 degrees. We did not know she was pregnant. Low and behold at 6am my husband comes barreling in with this tiny wet bundle.He is now nine and a half months old and we don't know a thing about goats other that they love weeds. Pepper, the baby developed bloat and became toxic. He was acting drunk and falling down so we brought him in. We started praying and laying hands on him praying in the spirit. Miraculously he made it thru the night, we rushed him to the vet almost 40 miles away. They said he would probably not make it thru the night. He was there three days and two nights. They brought him back and sent home four shots of penicillin . They said to give him oil and baking soda. We did as instructed. After we gave him the only oil I had, canola, he stopped pooping. When we brought him home he was more energetic. I noticed by the mid afternoon he hadn't pooped. Now he is sluggish, walking like he's drunk. And his eyes were rolling around. I have him an inema. And he pooed. But he is still constantly walking aimlessly. He is running into things. And when I stop him he pushes hard.what else can I give him?. @I have Epsom salts. Kero corn syrup and fleet suppositories .he's not drinking on his own . He refuses it . But he'll still take a bottle. I got powered goats milk and make it as directed. Ill water it down a little to give him more water.

Back
Top Bottom