Construction has commenced!!! IT'S DONE!! New pics 07-03-09!!!

Looks great so far.

If you are going to use a vinyl floor, I would suggest rolling it out over the foundation before putting up the walls. It helps hold it in place. Let it sit in the sun and it will be soft and flat in no time. The vinyl will also protect the plywood until you get the rest done.

Also, like others have suggested......get the floor out to the location where it going to go. Leveling the foundation was the hardest part. Once that is done...the rest is gravy.

Yay the first wall is up!

wall.jpg

Thanks for all the complements everyone!!
love.gif

We were going to put linoleum (sp?) down on the floor but my husband said he wasn't going to pay that much for it, lol. So I think we're just going to put a coat of sealer on it or something like that.

It will be extremely heavy once its done, no question! But we are lucky in that we farm for a living and have all sorts of loaders, winches, trailers, jacks, lifts, and other grabby and hauly things (boy I am so technical, lol) to move it when the time is right.
big_smile.png

Plus this way, hubby can work on it when it's too rainy for farm work!

The front wall is 8 feet high!
th.gif

Thank you everyone! My husband is loving the compliments!!
love.gif

He did some work on the "complicated wall" as he calls it... the one with the nest boxes and windows. It's not up yet, but you can sort of see what he's doing...

IMG_0810.jpg

This is the wall as he started framing it. It's lying flat on the floor there for now and will be raised later. This wall is 6 ft tall and will be opposite the 8 ft wall that is up, making the roof slope.

IMG_0813.jpg

Another angle. You can see the openings for the windows.

IMG_0811.jpg

Here are the windows we will be using. They came out of the same old barn that most of the framing wood for this came from. They look like they are wood with peeling paint in this picture, but they are actually aluminum framed... with cobwebs... lol.

IMG_0817.jpg

My husband hard at work on the nest boxes.
big_smile.png
They will stick out from the back and be accessible from the outside via hinged roofs that will have the same slope as the main roof.

IMG_0819.jpg

Nest boxes close-up. You can't really tell but there are five of them.

And that's all so far! It might be a while before my husband gets to work on it more, because the weather is finally drying out and we still have 700 acres of soybeans to plant.
tongue.png

Last edited:
I have a few more pics.

Hubby says the "easy part is done."
lol.png

Now he is working on the inside (the insulation, interior walls, and roosts.)

Here's what it looks like as of this morning:

IMG_0894.jpg

Back and side.

IMG_0895.jpg

Front.

So it's coming right along!
big_smile.png

Very, very nice! So jealous...so extremely extraordinarily jealous!!! (I'm still in the material collection phase...
th.gif
) The kids are housed in a V8Coop temporarily. (See my BYC page for an explanation on that one..................................)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom