Construction Noise and Chickens

ridgefire

Songster
12 Years
Jan 8, 2008
Northern Michigan
This summer my wife wants me to put siding on the barn and do other construction projects.

How do chickens handle the noise of saws running? Their coop and run is part of the barn, so when using my wood shop there is only a wall between us.

Also when I get to putting siding on the barn, my plan is to lock the chickens out in the run when doing the area of their coop.

I'm just worried about stressing them too much.

Another dumb question I thought of.

I read somewhere that chickens dont like change.

Well when I add siding to the barn think they will notice the change and not want to go into their coop?

I change from winter coops to field coops in the summer and never have an issue with stress from change. So I doubt siding would be an issue.

No such thing as a dumb question. Smart people question everything they read on the net.

The city ran a sewer line though my yard. They had several pieces of heavy equipment in my yard. Sometimes 3 or more pieces at a time. A tree shredder came through and cleared a 50 foot wide path of mature trees behind my property which ended right behind the coop. The excavators were huge and worked so close to coop they had to move to spin them around or the coop would have been hit. The trench they dug right by the coop was 27 foot deep and they had to bust granite along the way. It was super noisy here 6 days a week for over a month. I was pretty irate but my ducks chickens rabbits and goats did not seem to have a problem with it at all.

I'm sensing, you don't want to put siding on the barn!!!
lol.png

We're always building around our chickens.This is how stressed ours get. Buster the serama sleeping under the table saw.
birds111.jpg

When I was building the chicken tractor last summer, the girls would mash themselves into the closest corner of their then-run (the only place they could get a good spectator seat) and stay glued to the action. If I quit for a while and they wandered off to where they could no longer see me, all I had to do was turn the circular saw back on and *poof* three beady pairs of eyes teleported back to the spectator corner.

So I am going to say that at least *these* three chickens were not unduly traumatized by the noise of construction, lol. They may have been traumatized by my finishing the tractor and taking away all their entertainment though <g>

Pat

Back
Top Bottom