Construction/River/Masonry Sand For Coop? Links for Online Purchase?

I have been ordering play sand online from Home Depot for curbside pick up, it's very convenient! There is no way I can lift a 50lb bag of sand in the store. Play sand works for us since it's dry! I used to get washed sand and it was a pain in the neck to dry the sand.
Is there any risk they'll ingest the play sand? and do you have a link to the sand you use? That would be awesome!

I read somewhere that play sand can be a problem because it's too fine for inhalation and ingestion and that you should use masonry or river sand, but I've read from a lot of people who use play sand too though, so I don know :confused:
by too fine... I mean I read it can clump together more easily and impact them... but I've also read that a lot of people have sworn by it... this is a new realm for me, so I can only tell what I've read hahah

by too fine... I mean I read it can clump together more easily and impact them

Sure! Here is the link to the sand I've been using

https://www.homedepot.com/p/SAKRETE-50-lb-Play-Sand-40100301/202007298

I hope it's not a problem if they ingest sand! Shouldn't it go through their gizzard?
update - i looked at pictures of it, and it doesn't look too fine at all (that particular brand you sent) - I was thinking like the really powdery stuff

update - i looked at pictures of it, and it doesn't look too fine at all (that particular brand you sent) - I was thinking like the really powdery stuff
I’m a new chicken owner and new to caring for them myself (my 3 girls will be 1 year old end of May). I went with sand initially because I could keep it clean, but I have a small setup compared to many on BYC, and scooping & keeping dry isn’t a big deal. I like that there are no flies and it’s inexpensive (unless you have lots of wood chips and clippings to do deep litter which is cheapest). I tried deep litter over the fall & winter but ran out of clippings so supplemented with hemp. I’m going to add an open air run, and after the grass is destroyed, I’m going to use wood chips hopefully from a free source. I think the girls prefer the chips, leaves, etc, but I’m more comfortable with sand in their 80 square foot run.

I used the sand from Lowe’s and worried it was the “wrong kind.” It was dusty and I worried about that, but all of us did fine. Now I’m using “screenings” from the quarry and I’m worried it’s not river sand. I find the droppings dry better with this compared to Lowe’s general use sand though.
What I’ve discovered in my short time as a chicken owner is that sand works for some folks but not others. Same with deep litter. Try the sand and see how it does. You can always change. And if you’re like me, you’re always gonna worry no matter what you do :D

I’m a new chicken owner and new to caring for them myself (my 3 girls will be 1 year old end of May). I went with sand initially because I could keep it clean, but I have a small setup compared to many on BYC, and scooping & keeping dry isn’t a big deal. I like that there are no flies and it’s inexpensive (unless you have lots of wood chips and clippings to do deep litter which is cheapest). I tried deep litter over the fall & winter but ran out of clippings so supplemented with hemp. I’m going to add an open air run, and after the grass is destroyed, I’m going to use wood chips hopefully from a free source. I think the girls prefer the chips, leaves, etc, but I’m more comfortable with sand in their 80 square foot run.

I used the sand from Lowe’s and worried it was the “wrong kind.” It was dusty and I worried about that, but all of us did fine. Now I’m using “screenings” from the quarry and I’m worried it’s not river sand. I find the droppings dry better with this compared to Lowe’s general use sand though.
What I’ve discovered in my short time as a chicken owner is that sand works for some folks but not others. Same with deep litter. Try the sand and see how it does. You can always change. And if you’re like me, you’re always gonna worry no matter what you do :D
That was a great outlook :) :)

Back
Top Bottom