Consumer reports article on salmonella in store bought birds

That's my biggest issue with it Buster. I don't know how many times over the course of my life, I've had to switch a new antibiotic because the old one was no longer effective. As for my posting, it's important for people to understand what they put in their body. What they choose to after said info is given can't be controlled but I don't want to keep info from someone that might benefit from it by making different choices.

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay :

I have no issue with you producing your own chickens, that is exactly what we do at our farm. However, when you or I begin selling that product to the public we need to take steps to ensure that our customers are protected and that they have assurances of wholesomeness and safety.

Consumers can talk to the small producer personally, and can observe his or her processing system any time they wish. That is by far the best precaution that can be taken. If the small producer won't agree to that, the consumer should not buy from that producer.

You can't do that with the big producers. Even the media are banned from viewing and recording their operations. Seems to me that means they have something to hide.​

Quote:
I think you make some good points, but there is a difference between using chlorine as a disinfectant for objects you use, and soaking your food in it, as the big processors do.

The real issue is that they have to do it. If they didn't bathe the chicken carcasses in a chlorine bath, they would be even more contaminated than they already are. It is an admission of the unsanitary nature of the corporate farm system.

But tell me, Boss. Since you process your own meat chickens, do you soak them in chlorine solution afterward? Do you even feel you need to?

I know you weren't asking me, but mine go straight into a water/ice mixture, not chlorine ever. I do spritz my counter tops with a chlorine solution afterwards and then rinse it but everything else goes into very hot soapy water.

Quote:
Chlorine levels in a pool is between 1-4 ppm, not 30 some like processors use in chill tanks.
What about all of the chlorine used in everyone's laundry?

We make our own laundry soap, and it has no chlorine in it. For things that need sterilized, we hang them out on the clothes line and the sun naturally sterilizes. There are many products that do the same thing as chlorine.
What does the backyard chicken processor use to disinfect their knives, kettles, work surfaces, or their own kitchen sink and countertop, etc after their work is done if not a chlorine product?

I wash everything with warm, mild soapy water first. Then, I have a wallpaper steamer that I fire up, and go over everything with steam. And, if the weather permits, I let all the processing equipment sit in the sun for an afternoon.​

Quote:
And I think the worst part is that the FDA has established a level of chlorine that is suitable to take care of the contamination. Instead of fixing the problem they're putting a band aid on it, and in the process, they creating a product that is just as, or more harmful than it would have been before.

Quote:
No one stated that they don't use antibiotics, they are a tool that producers both big and small use to maintain the health of their livestock.

The use of antibiotics in livestock production is much lower now than it was in the past, we are learning how to better administer in-feed and in-water antibiotics to combat diseases.

Jim

Quote:
Post my lies!

To reiterate: HORMONES ARE NOT USED IN CHICKEN, EGG, OR PORK PRODUCTION.

Your assertion that a farmer with a CAFO is not a REAL FARMER is insulting to those of us that strive to produce wholesome, nutritious food for today's consumer. The implication that a Farmer with a confinement operation does not care about their livestock's health or welfare flies in the face of what we do everyday.

Jim

Quote:
This is a difficult issue for livestock producers, both big and small. Simply opening your doors to anyone that wants to see your farm is a potential avenue for introduction of diseases and pathogens. Besides it is the producers Private Property, they have the right to limit access to those they choose.

When can the media come to your operation to video tape how you raise chickens?

Last edited:
Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay :

Quote:
No one stated that they don't use antibiotics, they are a tool that producers both big and small use to maintain the health of their livestock.

The use of antibiotics in livestock production is much lower now than it was in the past, we are learning how to better administer in-feed and in-water antibiotics to combat diseases.

That isn't what you implied earlier, but okay. The key phrase, however, is bolded in my above quote. It isn't to combat disease. That is at least understandable. An animal gets sick, you medicate it (although I resist even that temptation). But that isn't what is going on. Animals are being fed antibiotics to prevent them from even getting sick.​

Back
Top Bottom