Ended Contest #4 Short Story Fiction Contest - 6th Annual BYC Easter Hatchalong

When my son was only a year old he loved hunting for Easter Eggs. He would toddle around and excitedly say, "chicken balls, chicken balls!" It was funny to watch him because he would overlook the eggs right in front of him and run towards eggs far away! To this day I think of Easter Eggs as chicken balls! After all the Eggs were found, Grandpa would always make Easter official by biting the ear off of the chocolate bunny. My little boy would bring the bunny to Grandpa and enjoy sharing it with him. Then we would eat the chicken balls for breakfast! Good times!

Peep went about her day as usual. Eat, drink, poop dirt bathe, peck a disrespecting hen. The usual. It was finally warming up, so she was happy. Peep soon felt that uncomfortable feeling in her abdomen, so she decided to go to the Nest Boxes to relieve it. The Nest Boxes are a place she visited everyday, and always deposited a lovely brown egg. Peep was always proud of it.

Peep saw a few other hens waiting around the nesting boxes. Peep assertively pecked them and hopped up to her favorite place to lay. After flinging all of the straw out of the box, Peep finally deemed herself comfortable to lay an egg. The uncomfortable feeling passed for a brief moment, before returning which Peep thought was odd.

Peep shook her head, and stood up to admire her work. But this egg wasn't her work. It was a colorful shade of pink. This surprised Peep. She figured that egg must of been in the Nest Box already, without Peep noticing its presence. Peep has never seen a pink egg before though.

Peep switched her attention back to that uncomfortable feeling; the egg she must of not laid. Peep sat back down, this time noticing this new egg on her belly. It felt different then eggs usually do. Peep brushed that thought away, and concentrated on the task at hand.

The egg feeling passed. Peep looked back to admire her work. But once again, this wasn't her work. There lay a yellow egg! Peep grew alarmed as the uncomfortable feeling returned. She has never laid so much in one day, let alone colorful eggs!

A few chickens looked to Peeps alarmed expression, so Peep tried to act natural as she sat down to hopefully pass her last egg. The other chickens returned to their tasks, ignoring Peep.

This time, when Peep turned around to look at the egg she laid, it was her normal, beautiful brown one. Before Peep had a chance to leave, the colorful pink and yellow eggs started to shake. Peep wanted them to stop, this wasn't normal. Peep pecked the pink one with as much force to crack a normal egg. This egg didn't crack, it almost sounded hollow.

Peep backed out of the nesting box, almost falling out. Peep used her big butt to try and block the other hens view, not many even so much as glanced at Peep. Peep watched the two eggs, almost scared at what would happen.

The two eggs stopped shaking, and both cracked open. Out spilled a variety of dried, colorful mealworms. Shades of blues, yellows, greens, and reds.

Out of instinct, Peep pecked them to see if they tasted as well as mealworms usually did. After being satisfied with the usual buggy taste, Peep turned away from the nest to call her fellow flock-mates to the unusual meal.

But by the time she gathered them, the two eggs and colorful mealworms where gone, leaving the one brown egg behind.

Peep went about her day as usual. Eat, drink, poop dirt bathe, peck a disrespecting hen. The usual. It was finally warming up, so she was happy. Peep soon felt that uncomfortable feeling in her abdomen, so she decided to go to the Nest Boxes to relieve it. The Nest Boxes are a place she visited everyday, and always deposited a lovely brown egg. Peep was always proud of it.

Peep saw a few other hens waiting around the nesting boxes. Peep assertively pecked them and hopped up to her favorite place to lay. After flinging all of the straw out of the box, Peep finally deemed herself comfortable to lay an egg. The uncomfortable feeling passed for a brief moment, before returning which Peep thought was odd.

Peep shook her head, and stood up to admire her work. But this egg wasn't her work. It was a colorful shade of pink. This surprised Peep. She figured that egg must of been in the Nest Box already, without Peep noticing its presence. Peep has never seen a pink egg before though.

Peep switched her attention back to that uncomfortable feeling; the egg she must of not laid. Peep sat back down, this time noticing this new egg on her belly. It felt different then eggs usually do. Peep brushed that thought away, and concentrated on the task at hand.

The egg feeling passed. Peep looked back to admire her work. But once again, this wasn't her work. There lay a yellow egg! Peep grew alarmed as the uncomfortable feeling returned. She has never laid so much in one day, let alone colorful eggs!

A few chickens looked to Peeps alarmed expression, so Peep tried to act natural as she sat down to hopefully pass her last egg. The other chickens returned to their tasks, ignoring Peep.

This time, when Peep turned around to look at the egg she laid, it was her normal, beautiful brown one. Before Peep had a chance to leave, the colorful pink and yellow eggs started to shake. Peep wanted them to stop, this wasn't normal. Peep pecked the pink one with as much force to crack a normal egg. This egg didn't crack, it almost sounded hollow.

Peep backed out of the nesting box, almost falling out. Peep used her big butt to try and block the other hens view, not many even so much as glanced at Peep. Peep watched the two eggs, almost scared at what would happen.

The two eggs stopped shaking, and both cracked open. Out spilled a variety of dried, colorful mealworms. Shades of blues, yellows, greens, and reds.

Out of instinct, Peep pecked them to see if they tasted as well as mealworms usually did. After being satisfied with the usual buggy taste, Peep turned away from the nest to call her fellow flock-mates to the unusual meal.

But by the time she gathered them, the two eggs and colorful mealworms where gone, leaving the one brown egg behind.

I wasn't able to edit first post, so here is my final entry.

“Barra Bunny and the Farm Fairies”

For a week all the hens in the hen house where working diligently on producing their Easter morning eggs. Each hen was responsible for producing, painting and storing the eggs until the local Easter bunny came to collect them and bring them to all the local boys and girls. You see, the folk law was that there was only one East bunny, but in fact each neighborhood had their very own Easter bunny. This was the time of year that bunny’s and chickens alike were very busy!
The morning before Easter Sunday Barra bunny left her hollow and hopped to the ridge. She made her way to the hen house and called for Cavan chick. “Cavan, are the eggs ready? I am going to have a very busy night tonight.” Barra said. Cavan looked at her with a very heavy heart. “They are all gone! Someone stole them all last night” he said. Barra sprang into action, she needed help finding those eggs and she knew right where to go. With a flip of her white cotton tail she was off and heading straight to the barn. All the forest animals knew who lived in the barn. Barra made her way into the barn through a make shift cat door the farmer had installed years ago. The barn was quiet, most of its inhabitants were nocturnal.
“Leah!” whispered Barra. “LEAH” she said a little louder. A small fairy fluttered up to her, rubbing her eyes as if she had just awoken. “Hello Barra, how can I help you?” asked the little fairy. “I need the farm fairies help, it’s an emergency. All of the Easter eggs have been stolen!” Barra said with urgency. Leah gasped in horror. She fluttered off and shortly returned with Cathal Clover, another fairy. “Leah Lilly and I will help you. Meet us back at the hen house in an hour. “Cathal said in his strong authoritative voice.
Leah and Cathal flew out of the barn and as high as their small fairy wings would carry them. They stopped and scanned the area below. Amongst all the green of spring it would be very hard to hide such vibrant colored eggs. The morning sun shinned and sparkled off the pink, violet and blue colored eggs that spilled out of a den that was pointed off to the south. The reflection of colors shined up to the sky as if to create a reverse Northern lights effect. Leah and Cathal flew back to the hen house where Barra and Cavan were waiting. “We know exactly where the eggs are!” A winded Leah Lilly said. “They are over in Fox Cove at the entrance to Faolan Fox’s den.” Cathan added. Barra bunny knew they had a journey ahead of them. They had to save Easter, the little girls and boys were counting on them.

Last edited:
It was a cool misty day, the kind of cloud covered grey that brings back all the melancholy feelings of the past. Wrapped in a blanket with a hot mug to ward off the chill, she sat, lost in thought, the porch swing gently rocking.
The wailing times were gone now. She remembered though, the horrible time when grief had been so strong. They had held each other and cried. Life was dark and hopeless. Then James brought them, seven cream colored eggs, so beautiful and fragile.

Nestled in the little incubator atop the kitchen counter, the eggs, like small porcelain treasures, brought light into the house. A purposeful glimmer of hope, the promise of life. There was a reason now, to get out of bed in the morning. Turning the eggs, monitoring their progress. Two hurting hearts healing in the warmth of that small box. Slowly she started to smile again, and so did he. That first movement seen inside the egg, a new spark of excitement emerging out of the grief. The first chick, plopping wet and exhausted, the fluffy chicks and their goofy antics and delicate feet. Suddenly laughter was heard. James’ soft chuckle growing into a booming laugh and her rich happiness bubbling over from deep inside. And then tears of joy, as they held those baby chicks. They knew it would be ok. They knew they could laugh again even though the sadness was still there.

A soft clucking sound brought her out of her thoughts Two hens had braved the wet to saunter across the glistening lawn in hopes of something from the grass, their damp feathers giving them a comical bedraggled look, their counterparts watching warily from the coop door. It still made her smile. The sadness was there, yes, but it was softer and less forward. And she knew now that hope is often found where you least expect it. And sometimes, it comes in the form of an egg.

The sun was shining brightly
And I could hardly wait
To ponder out my window
And gaze at my estate

The wind was blowing briskly
It made the flowers sway
The garden was enchanting
On this inspiring Easter day

My eyes fell upon a little bird, with a beautiful yellow bill.
I beckoned it to come and light my window sill.
The little birdy came over.
And I gave it a crust of bread.....

THEN IT CLAWED OUT MY EYEBALLS
AND PECKED A HOLE IN MY HEAD!!!!

Last edited:
It was getting warmer everyday as the sun melted the white winter snow. The whole farmyard could tell that spring was on its way. The trees which had been barren since the late autumn were beginning to bud and the tulips had begun to sprout. Yes it was lovely to see some green again. The fragrance of spring filled the air with a sweet and fresh aroma.
Spring is a special time of year, full of beauty and surprises to discover everywhere you turn. Baby animals filled the farm with joy and excitement. The kittens would play in the barn, trying to swat at the newborn calfs tail as it swung back and fourth. They would hide in the hay bales and chase the mice around the barn.
The mother hen had started to collect her eggs for her precious spring hatch. She would carefully turn the small brown eggs making sure to keep them all warm. She would stand her guard, watching for anything that might try to harm her or the little eggs. If any of the other chickens came near she would puff up her feathers and let out a loud squawk to scare them away.
Later you would see the protective mother walking out of the coop with her adored balls of fluff. They were a rainbow of colors. Yellow, black, golden brown and many more. She taught them to scratch and dig for insects. Then when they wondered a little to far she would cluck to her babies, letting them know it was time to come back and they would all come running to her side.
As it was beginning to get dark, her babies would run underneath her soft feathers for the night. She'd cuddle them with her wings and would cluck to them sweet and softly as if singing a lullaby.
She would charge at the young barn kittens if they came near or tried to snatch one of her precious chicks. The kittens would hiss at her then run back to the barn to find their mother.
They grew bigger and bigger until one day they no longer needed mother hen. The following spring they too would begin to collect and sit on eggs. Then would have their own precious chicks and she would teach them as her mother had taught her.

Last edited:
Wattles walked out into the fresh cool spring air. It was not even sunrise when Spurs the rooster crowed. Wattles and the other hens watched as Spurs walked out with his head held high up. Then he crowed again. Wattles saw him and all the other hens preening in the corner of the yard talking about Easter and baby chicks.

Wattles walked over to the other corner and sat down. She saw how happy the others where since ALL of the other chickens besides her where friends. Wattles wanted to have some chicks of her own but she was told she would not be a good mom.

(This hens name is funny)

But wattles thought she would be a great mom. Suddenly she felt a peck in the face. One of the other hens was attacking her yelling "outcast!!!" Wattles turned to look at the others they were amused. Wattles looked up and flew over the fence. She came down with a hard landing and realized what she had just done.

The other side of the fence smelled of lawn fertilizer and freshly cut grass.
She looked back at the fence and turned away running. She ran over in front of the house and was supprized to see a... Cat!!!
She clucked with fear and looked back at the fence praying for help. No one came. She looked back at the cat who was about to pounce. Wattles jumped and scratched the cat in the face but the cat held her down. Wattles was screemming when Spurs came running. He pecked and scratched the small cat until it ran away.

Wattles stood up terrified until she saw Spurs. "You ok?" He asked. "Yes, thanks for saving me." "No problem" he said all happy like. Spurs and wattles walked back to the fence and flew over." Happy Easter" Spurs said to wattles. " thank you Spurs, but this Easter is not going as I thought it would". "Why not?" He asked. "Well Easters a time for baby chicks to be born." "Suprize!!!! Look! I found this little chick hiding behind the fence!" Said Spurs to wattles. A little Bufforpington chick came out from behind the coop. "Awwww!!! He's so cute!" Said wattles. "He is now our baby chick" said Spurs happily. "He shure is" said Wattles prowdly. From then on the other chickens where nice to Wattles and where a little jealous but happy for Wattles to have a chick.

The End! :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom