Ended Contest #4 Short Story Fiction Contest - 6th Annual BYC Easter Hatchalong

Finally.

I slowly open my eyes and take a peek outside. Not yet dawn. The dew shines beneath the low moon, and no crickets make sound. Everything is sleeping, and it’s beautiful. I stick my head back inside and get to work. Thousands of chocolate bunnies and chickens line the room in tiny pink and green baskets. With of flick of my hand, they all disappear, ready to be called upon whenever I may need them.
This journey is a long one, seemingly longer than the ones in the past. I stop at houses, lingering only to tuck in a cold child, or leave a large chocolate egg. (Only for the good households, of course. There are less being left this year. A shame.)
As I jump by the houses with no children, I see disagreeing couples fighting over ridiculous things. They’ve obviously been awake all night, and for what? It’s Easter. Shouldn’t we all be happy?
Finally, I arrive at the last house scribbled upon my list.
I tiptoe through the back door and place a green Easter basket by the stairs. I turn around, and to my horror, a fairly young boy is facing me.
“Easter Bunny?” he says, drowsily, but happy.
I cannot speak the English language, but I know it very well. I nod my head, and place a finger over my mouth. He shouldn’t tell anyone.
“We don’t need the basket,” he says with a smile.
“Our family has everything it needs. A house. Love. I mean, chocolate is pretty good, but we don’t need it. But I bet someone else does. Take it.”
I smile.
Hopping over to him, I pull a small piece of cotton from my tail and place it in his little hands. With it, he can call upon me whenever he likes anytime of the year. Then we can talk.
And with that, I’m gone.
Brandon, age 9.
It’s beautiful how someone so young can know so much more than some people that are older. There is still good in the world, and happiness is contagious.
Like a vine, he’ll spread across the world, sharing his love and warmth with all, and every Easter, he’ll remember a strange occurrence that may have changed his life. The world still has hope, and you’re never too young to do something great.

Last edited:
Last minute entry just finished uploading! Whew!
Cats and Silkies

Two black tomcats and two partridge Silkie hens make an odd set of friends. Friends they are though, through and through. The cats aptly named Tom and Tomcat are very sweet loving cats, except to mice, wild birds, squirrels and rabbits. They like to show off their hunting skills to the girls. The hens Lucie and Ethyl are very sweet little hens. They are always trying to hatch eggs but their chicki-mom keeps taking the eggs. It's not time for them to hatch eggs yet. But they do have 6 small chickies to care for from the incubator.
Now a person would think little hens like Silkies would be too hard for the cats to resist for the hunt, along with the rabbits and squirrels, but the big hens have given the boys what-for, before Lucie and Ethyl joined the coop. Now the Tom and Tomcat run away from the big hens. But for Lucie and Ethyl they lie down and roll on their backs as if to say to the two girls - "Here we are! Come play with us! Rub our ears and tummies!" Lucie and Ethyl look over at the boys and tilt their head sideways as if to reply - "Not today boys, we've got bugs to find!
One day, the spring thaw came, on Easter Sunday, Hawk flew overhead and all the girls ran into the covered run to hide from old Hawk. Now, Hawk loves chicken for lunch, and he heard Silkies are a delicacy. But he has never tried one before. Tom and Tomcat usually pay no mind to Hawk, but upon seeing all the hens take cover so quickly the scurried under a shrub as well, just to be sure all was safe. Then, Tom seeing Lucie and Ethyl and the 6 little chickies still making their way as fast as their little legs could carry them, and seeing Hawk circle around again, Tom pounced on Tomcat and took off across the garden, knowing full well Tomcat would soon follow. Tom ran under another shrub, Lucie and Ethyl with the little chicks made their way safely to the big shrub by the run. But now the little chicks started to peep very loudly and Hawk came around again. This time Tomcat saw what was happening and how frightened the chicks were, so Tomcat ran across the garden the other way under the big apple tree. Hawk circled back over the farm field opposite of the run. Lucie and Ethyl and the chicks made it all the way back to the run
Some may think that the cats might try to harm the little chickies, but Tom and Tomcat are no ordinary cats. They are Cool Cats. So, Tom and Tomcat do their best to keep out of trouble. Besides that, they have a secret they don’t want the other neighborhood cats to learn. (Shhh, don’t tell - they really love Lucie and Ethyl and are afraid of the big hens.)

Last edited:
When is Judgment day? And where will the results be posted?
hide.gif
Judgment day makes it sound scary!
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom