Ended Contest #8 Broodies & their babies! 9th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-Long.

69132280-6756-4C14-AFE5-D27BDC44D469.jpeg
69132280-6756-4C14-AFE5-D27BDC44D469.jpeg
A825271D-8E0F-4072-A3AE-72302E6A6383.jpeg
Entries!!!

Entry #1:
IMG_9339.JPG

Cookie, our pro broody. This bantam orpington had 21 LF orp chicks under her!

Entry #2
IMG_2588 copyb.jpg

Our hen, Trouble, didn't know that Sebrights are not supposed to be a broody breed. Not only does she go broody, but she mothers her giant English Orpington chicks until they're about 8 wks old. By about 3.5 weeks old, the chicks grow larger than mama, but she still insists on covering them.

Entry #1:
View attachment 1322219
Cookie, our pro broody. This bantam orpington had 21 LF orp chicks under her!

Entry #2View attachment 1322218
Our hen, Trouble, didn't know that Sebrights are not supposed to be a broody breed. Not only does she go broody, but she mothers her giant English Orpington chicks until they're about 8 wks old. By about 3.5 weeks old, the chicks grow larger than mama, but she still insists on covering them.

These pictures made my night! :love:love:love What wonderful mothers!!!

These pictures made my night! :love:love:love What wonderful mothers!!!

NOT AN ENTRY...

Thanks. The tiny chicks are always cute, but I am more amused when those chicks grow, & their little mamas still baby them.

I believe Cookie was seriously contemplating her life choices in these pics:
IMG_2174.jpg
IMG_2175.jpg

Here's Trouble protecting her BIG babies:
IMG_3562.jpg
IMG_3558.jpg

Fab pics @Faraday40! That’s a “Don’t you think you should all fly the nest!” face :lol:
:gig
Yes it is!

What happened is we were hatching chicks in several schools & she went broody at the same time. We gave her ONE egg to hatch (making sure she stayed broody). We placed her in the brooder, then slipped all the classroom chicks under her. Thankfully chickens can't count! Cookie did her broody thing as we sold the chicks. We kept them confined because it was too many for her to keep track of. Of course, the chicks had to climb all over her instead of spread out in the tractor.

Back
Top Bottom