Ended Tell Us Your Funniest Chicken Story to Win Six Bags of Feed from Nutrena!

Ok, here is my funniest chicken story entry.

I was out tossing bread scraps to my chickens, and the Polish hen and my silkie, Isabella are both trying to get bread from me. So I toss a piece away from me and they go running after it, squawking and flapping their wings. Well, it finally landed a few feet away from the flock, and it landed on an enormous, nice, wet dropping from Alaska, the Jersey Giant hen. Well, those two just sat there and stared at it. I have no idea what they were really thinking, but I think that they didn't want to eat a piece of bread that had landed in a big, wet dropping. They sat and stared at it for a few more minutes, then finally got distracted by another piece of bread. But, I think I saw Isabella give me an evil eye.

It's not like it's my fault!
hu.gif
lau.gif

Last edited:
Okay I have another story.
I have my chickens in a run all the time but I had decided to make a tractor so they could get out unsupervised for some grazing. I finally got it built and decided to put just a couple of chickens in there at a time. I have this roo that is just great. He is big but so sweet and calm. He takes care of the ladies, never tries to flog me and I can pick him up and rub him. Anyway, I decided to put about four of the hens in the tractor. (One of them was his buddy) Well, my roo was not happy with that. He paced back and forth just watching them. I figured he would calm down and left. Looking out the window I saw that he did indeed look like he had at least come to terms with the idea. Hour or two later I went out and took out his buddy to return to the run. I opened up the door and my roo came right up to me, leaned down, and pecked right on the tip of my shoe. I was so suprised but I got a good laugh out of it. He was not happy and he wanted me to know it. It was like he was saying, "Hey, don't you take my girls from me again." I can promise you next time I put hens in there he sent with them, right along with his buddy.

Let me just say, I have read some really great stories on this thread. I've got a personal story to share of my own....several yrs ago while I worked in Oklahoma City as a police officer, I had an event that was funny, and changed my life. I viewed a veh infraction and initiated a traffic stop near a heavily populated intersection, filled with a grocery store, and numerous fast food places to eat. I had no idea what was about to happen, and had I not lived it, would of thought it was crazy!
I stood next to the pulled over veh and discussed the violation with the driver, I see an Hispanic guy ride his bike towards me when he stated..hey, officer you got a chick on your foot!, um, what? He said no, look down. Sure enough, citation book in hand, I looked down to see the tiniest little, black chick at my feet! Odd, I was stunned, it kept walking on my feet and pecking at my boots. It kept chirping, and I thought it would run away. But, no! I started laughing too hard in amazement, and released the veh with a warning. I scooped up the baby chick and saw it's white belly and sweet, big eyes , then it had me wrapped up. I carried back to my police cruiser and placed it inside my previously used McDONALD'S happy meal box to keep it safe. We drove home, only a few minutes away, while I told my wife, I was dropping off a hungry guest. My wife, reluctant, took it in and started to care for it. We laughed, couldn't imagine where or how it came to find the police for help.
I went to work the next day, my Chief pulls me in and tells me that I abused an agency veh for personal use. Of course, I didn't, what? He said come with me...we walk into the debriefing room and hear all the other officers laughing. Everyone was watching my dashcam camera video from my cruiser!! I just about peed my pants, laughing so hard. I immediately got the ...Hey, you must be a chick magnet! Hey, KFC or Golden Chick! Hey, Chicken nugget! They placed pictures of various chickens on my locker! They had fun with me.
I had Mother Kluckers, a female Australorp, for a long while. She connected with me from the very beginning, :) When she passed, we decided to get more, now we have 7 beautiful chickens, filled with huge personalities!
For the experience, I'm blessed and thankful.

There are some really good and funny stories. I have a red star rooster that makes me chuckle everytime I go out to the pens.
As soon as Red, the name of my red star rooster, sees me he starts pacing back and forth along the fence. He thinks he is as big as I am.
Red starts strutting around and showing his dominance, trying to challenge me. Then he realizes I am usually the one with the feed,treats,and goodies
for them. So he calms down and starts purring. Then back to strutting and showing he is the boss . It is like a blinking light. I am going to get him, oh he has treats, I'm boss I am going to get you, oh yea he is the one who feeds me, I am the man you want some of this, oh its goody time. This goes on for about a minute. Everytime I go out to the pens it's challenge ,purring,challenge,purring and so on. After about a minute he is fine will eat out of your hand. He only does this to me, not my wife nor kids. They thinks its hillariuos that he acts that way.

After years of saying 'we don't need any **** chickens', my husband suddenly found himself building a chicken coop. The year was 2005, and I had a chance to buy 6 young hens. Hubby is pretty inventive, so he took a truck shell for a Ranger pickup and constructed a sturdy base for it. The 3 nest boxes were on a shelf so we could open the back window of the shell to retrieve the eggs. A closet pole made the perfect roost. We all sat in lawn chairs that first day, fascinated by the quirky personalities and endearing sounds of our newest family members. As darkness fell and the girls made their way to the roost, I reluctantly went inside. After an hour, my oldest son glanced over at me. "The girls are fine, Mom, but if you want to check on them, I'll go with you. Let me grab a light." We made our way to the hen house by the light of the moon, but it was too dark inside to count heads. Steve said "Here, use this." I took it, thinking "Huh! A flashlight shaped like a gun!" and started pulling the trigger to get the light to come on. Steve screamed "MOM! NO!!!" and grabbed the light back. He stood there for a moment, and even in the moonlight I could tell he was pale and shaken. "Mom, this is my 9 mm with a TAC light. You almost shot your new chickens!"

Can a hen lay two eggs in one day?

Can two hens lay TWO EGGS EACH in one day?

Can two hens lay two eggs each in one day - two eggs in the morning and then two in the afternoon? Not even 12 hours apart????

NO WAY! NOT POSSIBLE!

even if I do provide the best care and nutritious poultry feed :) It's just not the way a chicken works!!!

Unless you add lightning to the mix. Not white lightning in their feed (alcohol would be very bad for chickens and would not be considered the best care possible!)

Mother nature's lightning lol.

I had gathered the hen's eggs that morning (these two hens were in a bunny hutch by themselves) and when I got home later that afternoon I was shocked to see TWO MORE eggs in the hutch.

I immediately questioned my son - thinking he had pulled a funny on me. He insisted he didn't but I couldn't believe him. It was unbelievable.

We walked out to the hutch because at this point he didn't believe ME and as we walked thru the yard making chit chat, I asked him if they had any rain here while I was out shopping and he said "yeah, it was a pretty good storm too" and as we stopped at the hutch door looking in at the unbelievable eggs he tells me, "and a BIG BOOM of lightning crashed right on this side of the yard, it must have been really close!"

My son's eyes got as big as those hens eggs and he looked at me and I think I had the same expression on my face. It dawned on us that those poor hens got so startled from that crash of lightning that they popped tomorrow's eggs out early. LOL!

But I still think that good care and nutritious feed had something to do with it. :)

DH and I have 8 children. Right next to the back door of our home is a basement with a concrete top, completely unfinished. We had started a massive addition to the house when a series of unfortunate events put a halt to all construction. We live in Kansas where a basement is really a must because of tornadoes and our country house didn't have one. Since there was no imminent danger of us being in possession of enough $$ to do anything with this 25 x 25 foot basement, I decided that for the winter months I could use it for, what else? A grow-out pen for my 170 chickens! I had tons of sand hauled in for the "bedding" and used pine shavings on top of that for warmth. Come tornado season, the birds were between 3 and 4 months old. What were the odds of our actually having to use the basement this year, I thought. As it turned out, the odds were exceedingly high.

As luck would have it, a "super cell" system was forecast a couple days in advance. I've lived here most of my life, and I'm no spring chicken but I had never before experienced a forecast of this seriousness before. I decided better safe than sorry so the kids and I began to gather supplies, "just in case". I still didn't believe we would actually have to go to the basement with the chickens. Perhaps because my DH was not exactly in favor of having chickens in the first place, much less ensconcing them in the basement. I shuddered to think of my city slicker husband having to climb down the ladder, then through the daylight window, to shelter in a basement full of half grown chickens!

We were well prepared by the time the super cell approached our area. We had bags of fresh pine shavings ready to cover the existing deep litter, Quilts and pillows were at the ready in Rubbermaid containers already in the basement along with water, flashlights, and charged Nintendos for the children. Pet kennels were prepped for taking our cats and dogs to safety, yet keeping them separate from the chickens. Sure enough, the odds betrayed us as we watched the monster storm charge our way. I had the boys cover the entire 25' x 25' area with fresh pine shavings. We moved the pets to the basement.

Soon thereafter, a tornado headed in our general direction. I grabbed my computer, DH grabbed his blackberry and an old fashioned transistor radio, all of which became completely useless in the basement as we couldn't get any reception. The children all filed down the ladder as the wind picked up and the sirens sounded. Great drops of rain began pelting DH and I as we scrambled down the ladder. I had prepped the kids, so they set up a comfy lawn chair for dear old Dad and then went about laying out the quilts and pillows for the rest of us. The chickens watched politely and with a great deal of bewilderment from a corner area. Once we got ourselves set up, the kids all grabbed their favorite chickens and laid down with their birds and Nintendos to wait out the storm.

DH just shook his head as he settled into his lawn chair to wait. He was not pleased. The electricity went out and we used flashlights to see. Since we couldn't get any signal at all in the basement, we could only guess at the storm's progress. There were plenty of clues as we heard tree branches snapping and the storm raging outside. As we waited the birds became more comfortable with our presence and began to visit us to see if we had perhaps thought to bring any treats. One particularly friendly bird suddenly decided DH and his large flashlight needed a closer inspection so it flew up and landed right on his arm! DH reacted as though he'd been electrocuted!! The poor bird reacted with equal drama and the kids and I burst out laughing! DH's island of sanity had been breached! Once DH had composed himself, he grinned sheepishly at me and the giggling kids.

While many families were in harms way and will never forget the tornado of 2012 for unpleasant reasons, our family's memory will always be of the night we spent in the basement with the chickens and Dad's reaction to getting up close and personal with one of them for the first time. Good times!

Back
Top Bottom