contest for the biggest "LOSER" percentage batch lost!!!

sonew123

Poultry Snuggie
11 Years
Mar 16, 2009
onchiota NY
Well I feel that would be me! I set 38 eggs-day by day-lost them all-today day 18 candled the last 2 I had left and nothing=cracked them NOthing! so..that makes me feel so much better---I fried mine with 110 temps for 3 days-thermometer not working right-but great attitude I have silkie eggs coming this week and Im feeling great vibes...live and learn I guess-not one had viability-so at least I didn't have to witness full grown chicks that died just prior to hatching..yet...

Hello, Sonew.

Great attitude. All who incubated for the first time have
had a new & educational experience. Some heart breaks
and some joys.

We don't know if the eggs are fertile when we begin. Genetics play a roll. Inbreeding. Temps. A roll of the dice.
Knowledge and experience help but if mother nature is having a bad hair day there isn't much we can do.

My temps were all over and 8 of 9 hatched. Two weeks old
and so far two have scissors beak. Maybe mother nature was busy elsewhere when she shoud have taken them
before they hatched.

When we get chicks from a hatchery or feed store we don't know how closely they are related. I didn't even think about that before hatch. The roo was in the same box as the pullets. (he was supposed to be a pullet) They matured and now there are babies. One of my original group had cross beak. Nature took her by predator.

Live. Learn. Keep on growing & going.

What is scissors beak? I can sort of picture it but don't really know.

Mine got down to 98 last night, I don't know why, I guess just the temp of the room they are in, so I hope they will be ok. It is supposed to get up to 70 today so my room is bound to get warmer and I hope the eggs don't get too warm.

I have them in the most stable room in the house but it gets warmer during the day and cooler and night and I cannot help that.

Scissors beak or Cross beak
Chicken Little May 20, 2008 - late Oct 2008
23079_nataliedrewbdfisbeak_047.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, my goodness, thank you for the picture. I have never seen that. Are they hatched with it or does it develop later? Anything to do about it?

Both. Some hatch with it some develop it as they grow. I have read those that develop after hach have a higher
survival rate.

When very young, holding the beak in normal position a few minues 3 or 4 times a day is supposed to help. It is said to be painful. (Before cartiledge hardens.) Beak trimming. Deep dish so chick can force food in. Oatmeal like feed. Add water to crumbles.

Turning the soil and getting bugs & worms on top of
unlevel soil so chick can pick it up. They can't pick up from a level surface. Turning soil causes chick to follow where ever
you go. I came in the house, turned to close the door & Chiken Little was inside at my feet. I miss her.

Put me in the hat for this one as well. Day 23 and no pip yet. First time with LG no turner or fan. Hand turned 3 times a day, temp 102. I was hoping for at least one to hatch. Don't know how long to leave them in before I give up and try again.

My last batch I put 30 eggs in the incubator. 3 hatched.

I had no temperature problems, but I didn't test for humidity, and I live in a humid area. So my guess is mine all drowned. Anyway. I bought a hydrometer, and am trying again.

Back
Top Bottom