Continued Soft Eggs from a Silkie

dsbailey70

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 7, 2014
Nederland, Texas
I've had two Partridge Silkies for about 5 months now. They're roughly a year or so old, and about 1.5-2yrs. One of them had started laying an occasionally soft egg. I've added crushed oyster shell, and they have Purina layer pellets. They also get dried mealworms, and sometimes a little scratch. I have also been giving them Bragg's ACV, and periodically Layer boost vitamin powder in their water. I don't believe that they're under much (if any) stress, and their daily routine is pretty steady. I don't see any signs of illness, or unusual behavior. She looks healthy, and eats, drinks, and forages well and is sociable so my other three chickens. She hasn't laid a soft egg in several days, but did this afternoon. What else could be causing the continued soft eggs? Please, limit your responses to the issue at hand. :)

Egg shell quality is most closely related to the proper balance of calcium, phosphorus and vitamin D3. Any of those out of sync with the other can cause problems.
Whenever there are unknown issues, go back to basics. We know that layer feed is formulated perfectly for hens in production. So, cut out anything other than layer feed and provide oyster shell on the side in a separate container. Never mix it with feed.
If after a week of a solely layer feed diet, there's still a problem, then you can look for another reason.

http://www.gov.mb.ca/agriculture/li...eggs-and-your-small-flock-of-laying-hens.html

all i can say is i had a egg layer that the shell would crack when i grabbed it, i did go get oustershell, and kept feeding lots of greens and apples, and any bread and cooked rice, but dont go by that, i was also feeding layer crumbles, and some scratch, it did get better but they came to me with bumblefoot and one with a broken leg, lots of surgery and bandages and splints, good luck, hope all goes well

If you read the label on your layer feed, it says something to the effect, "this is a complete feed" or "feed as the sole ration to laying hens from onset of egg production, do not provide additional grain".
That means, if you feed anything else, you are upsetting the balance of what 100 years of poultry nutrition research says is best for them.
Normally treats and things aren't a problem - but you're having a problem.

I've cut out the ACV for now; may restart it 1x a week, next week. I checked the bag of Purina Layer pellets; its calcium is 3.25 min / 4.25 max. It says it has 'key levels of vitamins A, D, and E; but in the detailed analysis, vitamin D isn't listed. I am giving them layer boost vitamin powder in their water. It has D3 in it...

Chicken feeds always have some form of vitamin D3 because it's an essential nutrient for all chickens and not all chickens get out into the sunlight (a natural source).
Vitamins in chicken feed are usually in stabilized form so will have a chemical sounding name. For instance Choleacalciferol or D-Activated animal sterol.
I just looked at an old Purina Layena Sunfresh feed tag and the ingredients list 'Vitamin D3 Supplement". The ingredient list is below the guaranteed analysis list.

i would go with the experts, i feed a complete feed also, i didnt know treats could hinder that, good luck

Back
Top Bottom