Controling flies

brijetterom

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 26, 2014
I need to know if it is safe to place those RESCUE fly traps inside the coop. The flies are out of control and I need to get them under control ASAP before a neighbor complains.

I put on "out of reach" of the girls but they could jump and get to it if they really wanted too. I know they say non-toxic but i just want to make sure there are no other risks.

Thanks!

Also, do the vanilla scented car things really work? I can't image that. I also saw something about dry stall stuff? I use newspaper because its easy to roll up and compost. I am open to other options it just must be very cost effective.

Thanks!

i would consider figuring out why you have enough flies that a neighbor would complain. Try cleaning the coop a little more often, you'll be surprised how many less flies there will be. you will have flies no matter what with chickens, But to answer your question mine do not bother the strip. good luck!

I need to know if it is safe to place those RESCUE fly traps inside the coop. The flies are out of control and I need to get them under control ASAP before a neighbor complains.

I put on "out of reach" of the girls but they could jump and get to it if they really wanted too. I know they say non-toxic but i just want to make sure there are no other risks.

Thanks!

Also, do the vanilla scented car things really work? I can't image that. I also saw something about dry stall stuff? I use newspaper because its easy to roll up and compost. I am open to other options it just must be very cost effective.

Thanks!
I use those rescue traps in my run and have had no problems whatsoever. My girls don't even pay attention to them! But as @kmiller11 said, keep your coop and run cleaned up. I daily clean my coop, and rake my run every other day.

I clean my coop almost everyday but I think I can keep it more dry. I enjoy giving my girls scraps to supplement their diet and I think that is part of what attracts flies.

I also had a miserable year with flys and like you I need to keep them under control due to neighbors. Things I tried that didn't work are vanilla scents, cheap and smell good to me, but that is as affected as they were. Fly bait in a can, also useless. Fly spray- useless. DE.- not sure if that helped. Things that helped me were gallon size fly traps at least 2 (very stinky to empty, but affective at trapping them, change weekly at least tho). Sticky traps also helped just expensive after awhile. Keeping a lid on my chicken poop compost bin. And daily maintenance. Oh, I also added sand and I think that helped as well slightly. Hope that helps and good luck!

Last edited:
I can't stand the stench of the fly traps! I started covering poops in the run with DE and then pine shavings. Doing this weekly DRASTICALLY reduced my number of flies!

Now forgive me for my ignorance but I thought pine shavings where poisonous to chickens?

Back
Top Bottom