Controlling Plymouth Rocks

Best Quality of Varieties Listed

• Total voters
He's got the start of a nice tail. Great shape. Very nice bird. His wing set could be higher but then you really can't judge by photos as the bird can be positioned poorly at that moment of capture. I could use a bird with a tail set like this one. The K I kept for breeding has a lower angle tail but he's got the size I was looking for. You can only work on one or two attributes at a time and there's so much to do. Tail sets will be next years focus.

Making strides in size though. I weighed the K when crating him up for fair this morning and he was 7.75 lbs @ 19.5 weeks old. He was 4 lbs @ 11 weeks and 6.25+ lbs @ 14 weeks. Think he'll make 9 lbs this spring. Happy with that considering the variety.

He's got the start of a nice tail. Great shape. Very nice bird. His wing set could be higher but then you really can't judge by photos as the bird can be positioned poorly at that moment of capture. I could use a bird with a tail set like this one. The K I kept for breeding has a lower angle tail but he's got the size I was looking for. You can only work on one or two attributes at a time and there's so much to do. Tail sets will be next years focus.

Making strides in size though. I weighed the K when crating him up for fair this morning and he was 7.75 lbs @ 19.5 weeks old. He was 4 lbs @ 11 weeks and 6.25+ lbs @ 14 weeks. Think he'll make 9 lbs this spring. Happy with that considering the variety.
I'm guessing he may be a bit narrow. I'm gonna ask Hunter to give me a top shot of the bird

That's great to hear. My Sussex are coming along well as well. At 8 weeks one cockerel was 3.5 Lbs so I'm guessing he'll get to 12 Lbs in a year. A little too heavy, but it's room to work with
Silver pencilled seem to be the best quality. Partridge comes at a close second, but I don't like how it looks as much anyways.
He does crossings between his Partridge and Silvers to improve each other so that would explain it

Skinny like this 20 week old K?

upload_2018-8-19_16-32-26.png

Very nice body type on that hen. Hows her tail look from behind? Bet it's a perfect tent. I let go a hen this spring that had a back line like that, gravy bowl profile. Her tail tent was narrower than I wanted. In hindsight I've been kicking myself since as she would have thrown excellent birds. Have her Dam still so know I can recreate to move forward.

The above K is going to be my breeder for at least 2019, maybe longer. He's got a few problems but the best I've got to work with. Size, width, color are very good, legs could be better and tail set is low by 15 degrees. I've had bright yellow legs on k's that had too many other faults. Believe I'll get that bright yellow again when I back cross him to the F1's. This is the K that passed 4 lbs @ 11 weeks and was over 7.5 lbs @ 19 weeks before going to fair. He's going to throw some awesome pullets. He's got the length I need for that. All and all happy with him.

It was a different thread you'd asked if I was trying to create a line. Yeah, trying. Had two lines, each with different problems so crossed them. Was a small hatch this spring and didn't get anything noteworthy for F2 pullets but this K I'm keeping. About to collect for F1BCD fall hatch. They should throw a keeper pullet or two.

I finally got a shot of the best of my partridge hens
View attachment 1510031
Really nice type on her. One thing to work on is depth of breast though. Though her head is large like it is supposed to be, without depth of breast, it warps the type so her head appears too large. At least, that is how it appears to me. I am not as experienced with Rocks as you, but I thought you might want my insight.
Back line nice, excellent tail and nice fluff.
Neck is good.
Beautiful coloring. Just that breast.

Back
Top Bottom