Convert a Greenhouse to a Chicken Coop

Kagraddy

Hatching
Mar 26, 2018
Hi y'all- any ideas or suggestions if I were to convert a little cottage greenhouse into a chicken coop. Clearly would have to address ventilation and board up the roof. Any concerns or advice to give?

Hi y'all- any ideas or suggestions if I were to convert a little cottage greenhouse into a chicken coop. Clearly would have to address ventilation and board up the roof. Any concerns or advice to give?
wwwsddex (6) copy.jpg

Hi, Welcome to BYC! I have personally thought about converting a greenhouse into a chicken coop as well. The only concern I could think of is that it might get too humid and increase the risk of the chickens getting fungal infections.

Thank you for the welcome and the information! I just wonder if I could board up some of the windows. Obviously would build a large run for them but wonder if that would help? Curious, how many windows is too many windows for chickens. I have been researching designs and it looks like many large ones have 4.

If you have a photo of this greenhouse it would help, as well as information about your location/climate (exact town isn't needed, but even region of the country/world helps). As a general rule chickens need shade/cool more than heat, and plenty of ventilation. A greenhouse could be converted to a coop but depending on your climate it could be too hot or humid and might require replacement of most of the transparent panels with wood or wire mesh.

If you have a photo of this greenhouse it would help, as well as information about your location/climate (exact town isn't needed, but even region of the country/world helps). As a general rule chickens need shade/cool more than heat, and plenty of ventilation. A greenhouse could be converted to a coop but depending on your climate it could be too hot or humid and might require replacement of most of the transparent panels with wood or wire mesh.
Ditto All Dat^^

Back
Top Bottom