Converting an old incubator

I read this somewhere about how you calibrate (or test) your hygrometers.

Basically, a simple test for your hygrometer that is supposed to be very accurate.

In a small tupperware container, say 10cm x 10cm x 5cm (or thereabouts), place something like an egg cup full of table salt (actually in an egg cup or small dish, not just loose in the tupperware container).

Add drops of water to the salt until it is moistened and translucent, but not runny.

Put your hygrometer in the container near the dish/cup.

Seal the lid and leave it over night.

In the morning, open the container and immediately read your hygrometer.

IT SHOULD READ EXACTLY 75%.

Give it a go and test your hygrometers. I know it sounds like some old wives' tale but apparently it's a pretty accurate gauge.​

Quote:
I guess I never thought about the pump putting cool, dry air into the 'bator. I wonder how the pump will like the hot, humid conditions?

Kinda screws up the way I have the air line plumbed but I will give it a try!

The humidstat is open in to the inside of the incubator through a 3 inch diameter hole. There is a seal, um, sealing the unit to the incubator. This unit is designed to be duct mounted in a furnace or air handler.

I haven't tested the hygrometers yet. I was just assuming that since they are both reading the same that they are accurate. I know, I know. Never assume.

Mate I can see what you are trying to do but it aint gonna work, you need more surface area of water to evaporate.

Even with the bubbles into the cup its not producing a FOG into the air of the bator and as a result the only source of moisture is from the surface area of the cup.

Try a rectangular container 3 x 6 inches and see what happens (with or with out the bubbler)

Regards
Trev

It will work. The outside area of each bubble adds to the evaporation surface. Also the act of the bubbles disrupting the surface of the water an making waves almost doubles the actual surface area. I have a setup almost identical to this for some sensitive plants. I tried the same setup in my fridge incubator an it worked. I will use it when I build a hatcher. A fogger ended up being more effective in the fridge incubator but in something smaller it would be to much. The trick is to find a container that keeps your humidity close to your lowest setting you use an let the bubblier finish the job.

In my fridge it took a 5 gallon bucket to work right. With the bubblier off the humidity would settle at 20% an with the bubblier on full time it would settle at 70%. The fogger can get it to 100%.

On this incubator, if it was mine I would try a round "shortening" tub(4X5) and a long air rock.

I can understand the logic behind it, I can also see that pumping cold air into the air stone will also reduce the evaporation rate as the cold air is cooling the water in the cup.
I estimate that the surface area of the cup is about 4 square inches, if its cooled water it will not evaporate enough. So either increase the surface area of the water or move the air pump into the bator so it pumps air that is warmed to 99.5 degrees.
Btw the way, I am not trying to stir up an argument just trying to give constructive input.

Cheers
Trev

One thing nice about having that old oil heater on there, if you can restore it to working cond..you always have a back up if power is ever lost for some reason..as rebelcowboysnb said
thumbsup.gif

I bought a 8000 watt generator as a back up
hit.gif
, but you could bet if our newer bators had the alternative heat source i wouldn't have..
he.gif

Charlie

Last edited:
Quote:
It would have been nice to restore this one but there were just too many pieces missing from it to get the kerosene heater working. That is why I am converting this one.

I had a complete unit but sold it to someone who will restore it. At the time, I wasn't part of BYC and didn't know how to incubate eggs. Day old chicks from the hatchery was fine with me. Now that I have discovered other peoples joy of quail and other birds, I am going to dive head first into the hatching world.

(yes, I now regret getting rid of the other 'bator but I know it went to someone who understood it and will use it for at least antique furniture.)

Alright gang. This morning I moved the air pump into the incubator. We'll see if it helps (I can't believe it wouldn't) and if it holds up to the humidity. It should. We get 100% humidity days in summer and I have never heard of a mass aquarium failure
roll.png

The other thing I did this morning is build a sandwich bag, water wiggler. Why not? I had to leave the door open for a few minutes while I re-vamped the air system.

I will let it run all day again and report any changes (hopefully positive changes).

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I'm sure if I haven't got to your idea yet, I will so don't think that I am not taking everyones advice. I'm just taking them one at a time.

Back
Top Bottom