Convicing parents to get quail

May 6, 2022
Hello quail side of BYC. I have known for awhile now that quail are great tiny additions to a backyard. They are quiet, small, and allowed in most areas. So, recently I have presented this information to my parents in the hopes of getting quail to add to our backyard. The problem is we already have two wonderful male ducks and will be getting four rabbits(for a school project they will only be around two months), and my mom thinks that the quail would be two much work along with the ducks and rabbits.

My dad agrees with me that we should get quail since he grew up on a farm and would like to get eggs like he did when he was younger. But, he refuses to help me convince my mom because he doesn't want to start an argument. So any ideas on how I could convince her still? Also please post pictures of your setups, so she can see how little space they require.

four rabbits(for a school project they will only be around two months), and my mom thinks that the quail would be two much work along with the ducks and rabbits.
What are you going to house the 4 rabbits in? Some rabbit setups can be converted to quail pens. Maybe if your rabbit pens are compatible to convert you could talk her into letting you get the quail after the rabbits are gone? Wouldn't be much work or expense in getting the Quail.

Hello quail side of BYC. I have known for awhile now that quail are great tiny additions to a backyard. They are quiet, small, and allowed in most areas. So, recently I have presented this information to my parents in the hopes of getting quail to add to our backyard. The problem is we already have two wonderful male ducks and will be getting four rabbits(for a school project they will only be around two months), and my mom thinks that the quail would be two much work along with the ducks and rabbits.

My dad agrees with me that we should get quail since he grew up on a farm and would like to get eggs like he did when he was younger. But, he refuses to help me convince my mom because he doesn't want to start an argument. So any ideas on how I could convince her still? Also please post pictures of your setups, so she can see how little space they require.

Although I have some quail on the ground, inside an existing chicken coop, I also built this.

20220518_195046.jpg

Each section is roughly 2ft x 3ft, and I have 4 to 6 quail in each section.

Although I have some quail on the ground, inside an existing chicken coop, I also built this.

View attachment 3292418

Each section is roughly 2ft x 3ft, and I have 4 to 6 quail in each section.
That's a good setup and I will definitely show her. I am in a position where I could either reuse the sand box as a coop at the bottom of my sisters old playhouse or turn the rabbit pin into something like that. So, which ever my mom prefers should work. Thanks

When it comes to quail what are you looking to get out of them? what kind of quail are you considering? since they have different needs it would be easier to know what you are considering so you can get better information to tell your mom about the amount of care, and housing needed.
I am considering coturnix quail for the purpose of egg production. If you know another breed of quail that lays alot and is easy to take care of please tell me.

What are you going to house the 4 rabbits in? Some rabbit setups can be converted to quail pens. Maybe if your rabbit pens are compatible to convert you could talk her into letting you get the quail after the rabbits are gone? Wouldn't be much work or expense in getting the Quail.
Yes after the rabbits are gone I will try to convert their pin into a pin for quail. I will also show her how easy it was to take of rabbits and show her that quail are around the same amount of work.

I am considering coturnix quail for the purpose of egg production. If you know another breed of quail that lays a lot and is easy to take care of please tell me.
I have had coturnix in the past, they do require upkeep as they also poop a ton! I have Button quail, and although they can be very good egg layers they can not be kept on wire, or outside in places that have winter. I would direct you to the sticky page on them, I know she was able to keep them outside in a place that snowed. Maybe pick out the care information and make a slideshow for your mom?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...asics-information-and-pictures-galore.102281/

Back
Top Bottom