Cooked my first this morning!

We plucked and I didn't notice it being any more difficult than the chickens. We had two spaghetti size pots of very hot water alternating at all times so it never had a chance to cool off.

Quote:
Then I need to take lessons from you.

My duck sausage dinner. Thanks to Steve of Sands Poultry for the recipe.

37123_sausage.jpg

Mmm, another yummy meal! The down stuck to our hands more than the chicken feathers but that was our only real hurdle. I've read on here that some people put in a drop of dishwashing liquid but I didn't try that....

Last edited:
Quote:
I use two 120 quart (30 gallon) NSF stock pots for scalding and waxing. The first one is brought to 150 deg F and diswashing detergent is added to the water. The second is brought to 160 deg F and has a couple inches of wax floating on the top of the water. I get my wax from here. The wax really helps to get a good looking carcass. Takes me 20 minutes to do process a duck when I'm working efficiently. However, it never really works out that way in reality. I'll be processing today, so that is why the pots are outside in the snow.

37123_pots.jpg

Have you tried upping the scalding temp? For geese I up it to 160-170 in order to get the same scald I get at a slightly lower temp on chickens. The feathers come right off and other than looking like I was tarred and feathered (due to wet hands and the nature of down) I'm no worse off than when processing a chicken.

I would love to try raising some scovies for meat. Any idea how they compare re: greasiness with geese? I always remove the obvious subcutaneous fat pads and render them for later use prior to cooking bird.

Quote:
I got my initial scald temperature from Brower.

http://www.browerequip.com/products/brower/poultry/processplans/400.htm

The wax temperature I got from the manufacturer.

I have pin feather problems with my ducks that the wax easliy removes. Then again, I'm self taught on ducks so I could be doing something very wrong. All I can tell you about muscovies is that they are less fatty than my pekins. When processing I save all the small pieces of duck fat for later use. Potatoes fried in rendered duck fat is out of this world.

Back
Top Bottom