Flock has enlarged/protruding crops but empty every morning.

Captain Andrews

Chirping
May 17, 2023
Apple Valley, CA
My Coop
My Coop
My flock is 10 barred rocks hens. Allroughly 8 months old. They stay in a large run most days and have access to gravity fed feed tubes and a 5-gal waterer when not in coop to sleep. I have never noticed a large crop before for any of them, their crops/chest area has always seemd even on both sides through the day. I may have placed too much trust in my chickens to self-regulate their eating.

Saturday morning, I offered them an entire medium sized pumpkin, cut into quartered wedges, seeds and all. They have never had pumpkin before. The family was sick so we didn't go outside much or see the hens.

Sunday, at dusk, I noticed most of the hens had a large protrusion on their right upper breast (later realized they were enlarged crops. I don't normally notice their crops protruding as if a plum sized mass was inside. I felt one of the hens before they retreated to the cop and the crop felt soft and playable, not firm or hard. Most of the pumpkin had been eaten (85%). I researched the Sickness/Injury sticky threads for varieties of crop issues and impactions and had a plan ready for the morning assuming is was something like doughy crop since there was no evident sour smell when I held/felt the crop of the one hen. I even went out with a flash light and confirmed there were orange speckles in all the fresh poop so I know they were pooping the pumpkin out.

To my surprise, the following morning (Monday) all the hens had empty crops. Being honest, I didn't expect this. I chalked it up to too much of a new food that they didn't bother with moderation and it caused a good bacteria imbalance which slowed crop breakdown and disgestion. Since their crops were empty, I gave them a bowl of plain greek yogurt to aid in restoring potentially lost good gut bacteria. Plus they love it so I got no complaints.

This evening after work I went outside and noticed the same issue of enlarged crops has happened again. Protruding as if a plum were inside, same as before. This was very surprising as I assumed it was a one time event due to the over abundance of pumpkin. Food and water intake are normal. Also lots of fresh poop from today.

Could this be from something as simple as a change in the weather? Longer nights mean more time in the coop and the hens are just storing more between food/water accesss? I am starting to also notice a corresponding drop in eggs. Summer was 8-9 daily, currently they have been at 7. I'm sure to some that's nothing but I can tell because I've observed their laying since egg 1. lol.

Opinions and educated guesses welcomed and appreciated.
I will update tomorrow morning after I hopefully find their crops have emptied again.
Thanks in advanced.

20231126_165616.jpg

This is a picture from stright on, not from an angle that makes one side appear larger.

Your birds are normal and healthy. They want to go to bed with a full crop, which will digest overnight, and an empty crop in the morning shows that their digestive systems are working fine. Pumpkin and plain natural yogurt are good for them too, so you're doing fine.

Egg laying will slow down and for some birds probably even stop through the shortest coldest days of the year, especially if they moult (shed their feathers to grow new ones). It'll resume in the spring if all goes well. And their bodies will be better for the rest from laying.

Every day Bernie is out foraging she looks like this. Seconds after the first photo she managed to squeeze in some chopped walnuts and blueberries.
How she doesn’t tip over is a mystery, but she digests it all overnight (or just during the afternoon) and starts all over again when I let her out in the morning.

As others have said it sounds like your chickens are perfectly normal - filling up their crops and then digesting it all.
D9B7E4A8-A70C-4A68-B5EC-546EF8F65115.jpeg
18F70DF5-E79F-4CC4-AD8E-F70B4827C252.jpeg

I don't think there's anything in the pumpkin per se that did anything to your chickens. It's very possible that they just gorged themselves on it and were too full temporarily. Maybe they stretched out their crops and now are on their way to pendulous crop, although I don't think that's very likely after just one or two days of overstuffing. Do you have any side view pictures of them with the crops full? The one picture you posted doesn't look concerning, just a bird with a full crop. As long as their crops are empty in the morning, they're fine. Also you're right that in the winter with the short days, they have less overall time to eat, so they might just be compensating by stuffing more in there at a time.

Every day Bernie is out foraging she looks like this. Seconds after the first photo she managed to squeeze in some chopped walnuts and blueberries.
How she doesn’t tip over is a mystery, but she digests it all overnight (or just during the afternoon) and starts all over again when I let her out in the morning.

As others have said it sounds like your chickens are perfectly normal - filling up their crops and then digesting it all.
View attachment 3693708View attachment 3693709
Beautiful hen, thanks for your post. It gave me a good laugh

I don't think there's anything in the pumpkin per se that did anything to your chickens. It's very possible that they just gorged themselves on it and were too full temporarily. Maybe they stretched out their crops and now are on their way to pendulous crop, although I don't think that's very likely after just one or two days of overstuffing. Do you have any side view pictures of them with the crops full? The one picture you posted doesn't look concerning, just a bird with a full crop. As long as their crops are empty in the morning, they're fine. Also you're right that in the winter with the short days, they have less overall time to eat, so they might just be compensating by stuffing more in there at a time.
I will work on some side pictures this evening when their crops are full again. They only seem to stay still when it doesn't matter. As soon as I want to check them or take pictures, they become like a school of fish...

Back
Top Bottom