Cookie Tin water heater

When I showed the cookie tin waterer to my spouse, the dear man immediately had to upgrade the original design. He used a standard light bulb fixture and secured it into a clean paint can. He buried the can in a large flower pot with only the lid exposed. On top of the lid is an aluminum cake pan with water and a #20 can filled with water. The system is working great!

I just ordered a little hot pad heater to wrap around my bottle.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I8YPQ4/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

I have only 3 hens and use an old plastic apple sauce jar with a nipple in the lid. I am hoping that I can wrap this around my bottle using a rubber band and it will be enough.

Anyone have experience with something like this?
My coop is only 4'x4' so I don't have much extra floor space to put a big old waterer in.

Quote:
celebrate.gif
We're going away for a few days & don't want my girls to go thirsty. So we are going to make a cookie tin waterer today. It doesn't get real cold here at night - mid 20's, but I am going to use the pipe insulation in the can & try a 25 watt chandelier bulb. This well be awesome. Can't wait to try it out.

Ivywoods you are really a creative writer. I read your post to my very handy husband & he nearly died laughing! Keep writing!:
ya.gif

Last edited:
This is a brilliant (no pun intended) idea and a wonderful use for an old cookie tin. However, it has a potentially deadly flaw and I do not exaggerate. Using a two conductor wire enables the potential failure mode of having the hot wire come loose and touch the metal of the can. If that happens, it will electrify the can and the waterer that sits on top of it - killing any chicken that tries to drink from it and potentially the farmer who grabs the handle to change the water. A three conductor cord should be used and the ground (green) wire fastened securely to the metal tin with a machine screw and a nyloc nut. Use a crimp-type connector to put under the screw. The outlet that feeds the cord should also be a GFIC outlet. This way, if the hot lead ever hits the metal, it will immediately kill power.

Yes - exactly right. The hot wire (typically black) and the neutral (white) go to the power screws on the light fixture. Sometimes you'll have screws of different colors. The "golden" or brass colored screw is for the hot wire, the silver colored is for the neutral. This is important because you don't want to connect the hot lead to the threaded part of the socket because you can accidentally touch that when changing a bulb. For the ground (green) wire, you must drill a hole in the can, unless you have a fixture with a dedicated green screw for this purpose. The fixture shown in the original article did not have such a screw and so you'd have to drill the hole if using that style. I recommend that you use solderless crimp-connectors to attach electrical lines to fixture screws because wires wrapped directly under screws come loose easily. You need a special tool (a crimper) but it can be used indefinitely and they're not expensive. Use an "eye" type connector so it can't come off and after you crimp it, give it a "tug test" to make sure it's securely fastened. The wire should not move in the connector at all when you pull on it. If it does, crimp it again next to the first. If it's still loose, cut it off and start over. Turn the screws all the way out, as in remove them, feed them through the eye of the connector and fasten them securely. Drill the hole for the ground lead in the can just big enough for the machine screw to fit through. Fasten it in place with a machine screw, a "star" washer (because it bites into the metal, making a better connection) and a Nyloc nut or equivalent lock nut. This will prevent it from coming loose over time which could compromise its effectiveness. As other writers have suggested, the power should always come from a GFI outlet. This measures the current going out and coming back and compares them. If more goes out than comes back, it trips and shuts off the power very quickly - the assumption being that the extra current is going through YOU. After a time, the GFI outlet may wear out and start "nuisance tripping" meaning that it trips all the time when there isn't a significant current difference. This requires that it be replaced. If you replace it yourself, or if you replace older non-GFI outlets, make sure you know what your doing because it can be hooked up wrong and circumvent the safety function. Either hire an electrician each time or hire him/her once and have them show you the right way to do it. The instructions tell you how, but if you're the least bit confused, make the call. I would recommend light bulbs on the small side to start with. Make sure they don't touch the sides of the can and that there's nothing in the can but the light. You should use the smallest size bulb that will thaw the waterer to minimize fire danger. In fact, if you put the can in another metal container, such as a cake tin and put that on a spacer to get it up off the floor, it will keep bedding from being thrown onto the light can and will dissipate heat. My chickens routinely drink out of a 5 gallon bucket so they can reach pretty high. As for extension cords, most likely, it is not recommended that you use one with the dog waterer because it may draw enough current to heat up a small cord. Error on the side of large wires when buying an extension cord for the coop. Get one that's rated for outdoor use and it should be a 3 conductor cord. Somewhere on the package it should say 12/3 meaning the wire is 12 gauge and it has the 3 conductors we talked about above. I used two of those for several years but last summer I buried a 10/3 "direct bury" line to the coop and installed a weather proof outlet which makes lights, fans and heaters so much easier. Have fun with it!

My modification to the "cookie tin" heater.

Used 10 bulb section of an old Christmas light string. The type with screw in 5w C8 bulbs (and LED string may save you $ but not going to heat anything). This allows you to adjust the heat output as required for temp by loosing/tighting bulbs. Work well for 0 temp this winter.

Obviously could further adjust heat output by increasing or decreasing the length of light string you use.

Back
Top Bottom