Cooking old hens

triggfamily5

Songster
9 Years
Mar 30, 2010
Moorcroft, WY
My problem is I must be doing something wrong in butchering/cooking. Last time I crocked an old hen, she was moist and falling of the bone, but I might as well been eating rubber.

I have about 10 I need to do this fall (some are about 3, some are 5+), any suggestions to make it better. DH is not too pleased with trying to eat rubber again. Let alone plucking them.

Quote:
Oh, I like that link.

I guess I need to figure out where I am going to set up something for aging chicken, as I don't have room in my refrigerator for more than one.....

Quote:
Oh, I like that link.

I guess I need to figure out where I am going to set up something for aging chicken, as I don't have room in my refrigerator for more than one.....

a big cooler full of ice water

Yeah, having room is a problem. I can get two hens in a 9 x 11 pan. The meat sits on a drain rack covered with moist towels. About 2 days of this and freeze or cook. Low and slow for an old bird.
big_smile.png

They need about 24 hours in the refrigerator to get past rigor. Then freeze the hen. Otherwise You can send them to auction if you have one nearby. Old stewing hen sell very well in my area. There are people of other cultures that prefer the older hens for stewing.

turtlebird, thanks for the link. Good article. Explains why the chicken I ate in small town Germany was so very different!

Back
Top Bottom