Cooking sparrows

Wow, you've got 1000s! I'm surprised the kestrels and kites haven't found your yard (or the European equivalent), yet, they would have a feast. Got any cats around? They might like some sparrows, too.

Last edited:
Chickens will eat meat. In fact the additional protien is good for them as long as it is supplemental and not their only food.

Quote:
kestrels, kites and a big kind of eagles live in higher places and mountains on my island, rarely you see one trying to make a territory his own territory, but they propably fail and die or go away back to the mountains, there is a huge tree near by that is owned by crows, only crows live there, but they dont seem to do much to the sparrows if they dont visit that tree. I like those crows so much
big_smile.png

I have 5 cats living in the upper side of the yard that belongs to a second house, they stay where the entrance is and out of the yard too, my chickens are on the other side, i have got the cats used NOT to get near my chickens for any reason, its my sisters cats, and believe me they learned fast because when its about my family, my chickens, and my vegetable garden, i become a very EVIL person, that worked so far for everything, but not for the sparrows
thumbsup.gif

edit: the reason i made the cats to reconsider visiting my chickens, was that the momma cat, wanted something from them and i guessed she did not want to play. But speaking of those cats that i dont really love, a good idea would be to feed the trapped sparrows to the cats. If i dont like the taste of the sparrows, this is the perfect second solution.

Last edited:
I agree with Sonoran Silkies and PhilErvin - just make your chicken food inaccessible. While I don't mind the wildlife at all, I keep my bird's food inside their house to protect it from the weather and bugs. So easy, nobody dies and all is well in the land.
JJ

Quote:
I agree! It would be simple enough to boil them whole in an old stew pot designated for that purpose and let the flock have at 'em. (If you decide Sparrow Pie isn't for you.)
wink.png

I'm also in agreement with Joe Bryant -- scorched earth policy around here! They're just flying vermin that displace native species and being able to convert them to protein for me or my birds is like making lemonade out of all those flying lemons.
tongue.png

At the top of this thread Foodkillah wrote:
"Ok, the topic subject sounds hilarious, but its time for me to do something with that sparrows.
They are attracted to my yard because of the chicken food, i also free range the chickens most of the time, the chickens dont have a proper coop yet, just a small house to lay eggs in and their small run is open air, just a fenced corner."

soooooooooo, how come your birds don't have a proper coop? Seems like if they did have a coop and you fed them in the coop you wouldn't have a sparrow issue?!?!?!
hu.gif

Your energy would be better spent building a proper home for your flock, rather than building traps.

WOW, I forget this is the www.........disrecard my past post as you are not in the US. My guess those birds are native to your area, so prevent them from getting in your pen. Would think the birds may be protective by laws in your area.......

Quote:
Hah! Change my vote too please. If they are the native wildlife there is much more to consider. We have rabbits and gophers here that cause us quite a bit of trouble. Though they are native I do shoot them, but it's legal an I know I won't hurt their population no matter how good a shot I think I am. You know better than me the laws and the status of these birds in your area, I don't think I could make a recommendation on that, though it does sound like you could secure the food a little better. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom