The good thing about killing and eating a 1000 sparrows
droolin.gif
is that there are 1000 more to replace them
tongue.png
... you'll never have to kill one of your chickens again
clap.gif
except on Christmas when, compared to the sparrows, your bird will be a FEAST
th.gif
! Good luck with getting rid of this pest and building the new coop... sounds impressive
thumbsup.gif
!

I used to get annoyed at the crows eating my feed, but then they alerted me to the eagle trying to eat my little red hen, so I could save her. I don't mind as much anymore. I suppose there's not much chance of the sparrows doing the same.

during the depression my Mom and her brothers trapped and killed many birds and ate them. They were hungry. I guess if well cooked they would be fine to eat. Gloria Jean

Quote:
I didn't like crows, either, they harassed the killdeer (my favorite bird) and often ate their eggs and chicks. But, then I saw two adult killdeer attack three or four crows at once, so I knew that killdeer could defend themselves and their babies if they were vigilant. Also, I saw crows mobbing raptors that wouldn't hesitate to eat a killdeer, duckling or other nice birds, so I decided not to complain about crows anymore.

***edited due to misspelling

Last edited:
My grandfather was a young adult during the Depression. Toward the end of his life he wanted to share some of his survival experiences with me.

He had me go into a bamboo grove after dark when hundreds of birds were roosting. I just reached up and grabbed them and put them into a bag.

Preparing the meat was easy. After removing the head, just use your fingers to remove the breast meat. No knife is necessary. The skin is very thin and easy to tear into. I don't remember how we prepared it, but I do remember it tasting very much like, you guessed it, chicken.

I don't remember eating any sparrows though. It was mostly cardinals. My grandfather said the seed eaters were best.

Back
Top Bottom