Cooking turkey breast down???

Shannon's Chix

Songster
10 Years
Apr 30, 2009
N.E. Florida
Has anyone done this? I've read it keeps breast moist. This is my first turkey, a 20 pounder and it's going in at about 1130. I was gonna cook it breast up until it browns and then flip it...bad idea???

This is the only way I cook a turkey and yes the taste of the breast are out of this world.
droolin.gif
I always cut the turkey up and get rid of the carcas (the outside dog loves it) so I don't go for the "Best looking turkey on the block" but yes.....cook it breast down. When the turkey is alive it would look funny walking around breast side up
gig.gif

Yes! Got a recipe from one of the best chefs in our area called Poached Turkey. Set your oven on 450, salt and pepper your bird. Cook it 10 minutes with breast up then 10 with the breast down. This seals in the juices. Keep it breast down in the pan. Reduce your heat to 350. You have your carrots, onions and celery around your turkey, then fill up the roasting pan half with dry white wine and half with chicken broth (about 4 cups each), then throw in some pickling spices. Trust me, when it all cooks down, you never taste the wine and the pickling spices add such a delicious flavor when you use the broth for your gravy. This makes the most tender delicious breast meat you'll ever taste.

i'm making mine tomorrow for our big party on Saturday. Can't wait!

Edited to add that you need to reduce the heat to 350 for the long cook. Also, no need to use a rack, you want it swimming in the veggies and juice.

Last edited:
Quote:
Very true!
lol.png

What temp do you cook it at? Do you let it brown at all? Do you put it on a rack inside the pan? Do you use a bit of water in the pan? Sorry but thanks for the info!

ok, i flipped it but it is tooo late for the 450 fir 10 mins
barnie.gif

urghhhh, that was heavy!!! So i stuffed mine with rosemary , grapefruit and oranges. i have nothing else! Then coated with balsamic & rasberry dressing spray, rosemary , salt and pepper.

Do i flip it when done to brown? Cause i have no butter and it aint coming till later
smack.gif

It is a very ghetto thanksgiving here this year. we are drinking water and no app's

I usually cook my turkey breast side down for just us. It is so moist and heavy with juice!
I did it that was for Thanksgiving once and got lectured by the MIL.
roll.png
She went on for weeks.

So for Thanksgiving always it is breast side up, but I am trying Miss Prissy's method of shrouding the turkey this year .

SillyStunt, you could probably just use shortening or lard or veggie oil to rub over the top and to baste.

Quote:
Wow, rosemary, grapefruit and oranges sound very yummy and aromatic. If you flip it to brown at the end it will dry out the breast, so i wouldn't. The only down-side to this recipe is that you don't get that crackling crisp skin (which i love). i was pondering how to get that and the soft breast meat, too. i wonder if, after pulling the fully-cooked bird out, you could peel the skin off and put that back in the oven on a cookie sheet on 450 to crisp up.

i know the picture perfect thing is to present the turkey whole with a nice browned breast at the dinner table. But a beautiful browned turkey usually means very dry breast meat. When i use this recipe i do all the carving in the kitchen and take the platter to the table with the turkey meat ready to go. i even drizzle a little bit of the juice from the pan over the meat to keep it moist at the table.

Good thinking carving it first! Do you suppose it makes a difference if I'm using a roaster instead of the oven? Geez, can you tell this is my first time???
roll.png

Quote:
Very true!
lol.png

What temp do you cook it at? Do you let it brown at all? Do you put it on a rack inside the pan? Do you use a bit of water in the pan? Sorry but thanks for the info!

I rub real butter all over mine and then I season it with (whatever seasonings you like) and then I put the turkey in the pan, add a whole stick of butter and a little water and bake at 250 all night.
droolin.gif
Mmmmmm getting ready to enjoy ours now. Later

Back
Top Bottom