cooling meat birds for two weeks?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by pat3494, Mar 1, 2011.

1. pat3494

pat3494 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2010
    Northern Florida
    I recently watched an episode of "Kill, Cook and Eat" on Current TV. This show comes from England and shows volunteers going through the steps of raising and killing their own meat animals. One show on chickens showed some professional processors hanging the plucked and gutted chickens in a walk-in cooler for two weeks! According to the processor this tenderizes the meat. Assuming one had access to a walk in cooler, what do you think of this procedure?

2. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    I'm curious too. I've seen this done with Beef and Venison, but never birds. Hopefully someone has some knowledge or experience with this.

3. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    My opinion is that is about 10 days too much. I will agree that "resting" makes the meat tender, but I really question such an extended period of time. I would have a real concern that the meat would be on the verge of being rotten.

4. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Quote:Agreed! [​IMG] I rest mine for 2 days and that's it.

5. wahigh

wahigh Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2009
    Florence
    Years ago I use to work at a packing plant as a meat cutter and beef would hang for 14-21 days. 21 was better but not always possible due to room in the the chilling coller. Pork would only hang over night we didnt processes poultry so I really dont no about letting them age that long, but I would be against it because poultry is alot different than beef since it doesn't have marbeling so no need to age poultry, just rest it.

6. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    It's not much different than old time hunters who would hang the geese they got by the head, and considered it "done" when the body fell off [​IMG]

We eat mainly older roos (9 months and older, often into one year old or older), and I rest in the fridge for about 4-5 days.

7. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    Once, i accidentally left a chicken in my fridge for over 7 days. FUNK-y [​IMG]

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    We don't age our venison, so I don't see us doing this, either. To me, aging = rotting. Yeah, they'll tell you it's the muscle fiber breaking down and getting more tender--to me, that's rotting!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by