cooling meat birds for two weeks?

pat3494

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 9, 2010
Northern Florida
I recently watched an episode of "Kill, Cook and Eat" on Current TV. This show comes from England and shows volunteers going through the steps of raising and killing their own meat animals. One show on chickens showed some professional processors hanging the plucked and gutted chickens in a walk-in cooler for two weeks! According to the processor this tenderizes the meat. Assuming one had access to a walk in cooler, what do you think of this procedure?

My opinion is that is about 10 days too much. I will agree that "resting" makes the meat tender, but I really question such an extended period of time. I would have a real concern that the meat would be on the verge of being rotten.

Quote:
Agreed!
thumbsup.gif
I rest mine for 2 days and that's it.

Years ago I use to work at a packing plant as a meat cutter and beef would hang for 14-21 days. 21 was better but not always possible due to room in the the chilling coller. Pork would only hang over night we didnt processes poultry so I really dont no about letting them age that long, but I would be against it because poultry is alot different than beef since it doesn't have marbeling so no need to age poultry, just rest it.

It's not much different than old time hunters who would hang the geese they got by the head, and considered it "done" when the body fell off
hmm.png

We eat mainly older roos (9 months and older, often into one year old or older), and I rest in the fridge for about 4-5 days.

We don't age our venison, so I don't see us doing this, either. To me, aging = rotting. Yeah, they'll tell you it's the muscle fiber breaking down and getting more tender--to me, that's rotting!

Back
Top Bottom