Cooling off the Chickens?

Here's another thread with lots of ideas. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/hot-chickens.1405323/#post-23068509

But right now, you could give them those bananas frozen. You could also go to the grocery store and get some bags of frozen fruit to give them in the hottest part of the day.

Yes, ice cubes in a pan will help them. I use aluminum pans that I get from Costco ready-to-eat-foods. They peck at the cubes, they can drink the cold water as it melts and they can even step in it.

And digging in is another way they cope.

Do provide any shade you can like a beach umbrella or whatever you have. I also use box fans.
Thank you so much! I have wood slabs leaning against some of the walls.

I am running the lawn sprinkler on low for part of their run. I have a metal roaster pan that has a melting block of ice or a frozen jug with the lid off that leaks out cold water as the ice melts. They stand in the metal pan and cool their feet from the cool metal and the collected melted ice. I watch them, and they drink the ice water as it trickles out of the frozen milk jug. It is hot here, it was 97 in the shade yesterday, but the humidity is very low, so a sprinkler or mister works very well. You will get more help if you put your location in your profile.

Back
Top Bottom