Cooling off the Chickens?

I have them in a large tractor. They are 8 weeks & 10 weeks old. Shaded roof and west side is shaded by tarp.
What's the temperature where you are? It's actually only 84 degrees F here but it's supposed to reach 94 by the afternoon.

IMG_4853.JPG IMG_4914.JPG
I use a large dog-waterer that they can stand in, and have shade and tarps -- I run the lawn sprinkler to the side so a little cool water splashes in and cool wind from the sprinkler cools the whole coop.

I have this light weight wire cage surrounded with electric netting. Lots of predators here, they are not safe from falcons outside the covered tractor.

If you could post photos of your set-up, you might get better suggestions. I am happy to show you what works here in AZ, your humidity might be higher where you are. Morning sun can get pretty hot, too.

I live in the SC Low country where it's easily over 100 on any given day with our horrid humidity and I just keep lots shade , fresh water and no barriers to block what little breeze is available. I've never lost a bird to heat but I do not keep birds that are cold hardy and we don't have dry heat here. I always had rocks, sikies, production breeds and now leghorns.

I do toss them water melon rinds and seedless cold grapes for summer treats. I've put a old cooler lid filled with water in there with them and have seen them in the shade stand in it and sit in it like a wading pool. They looked like ducks sitting in it. 😆 They do pant, wallow in the dirt and lay around more in the heat just like the dogs do but I have not had any heat stroke thankfully.

Back
Top Bottom