Cooling off the Chickens?

Hi everyone! I have six pullets who have moved to their coop a few days ago. The temperatures are really getting high and I'm a little out of ideas. They are panting, and laying down a lot. I have a frozen banana I will feed when it thaws out, frozen water bottles, a tiny wading pool, extra shade, and ice cubes in their water. I'm a little worried because they are peeping a lot. They are still eating their feed, which I am probably going to freeze. Are there any other ideas? Also, has anyone tried putting a bowl of ice cubes for them? Would it cool down the air around them?
Frozen Watermelon, frozen blueberries i do alot of frozen fruits and vegetables i puree them and freeze them in either a muffin pan or in icecube trays

my coop is very breezy too i have 2 1/2 walls of fence and 1 solid wall

Attachments

• 20200603_075646.jpg
    20200603_075646.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
Hi everyone! I have six pullets who have moved to their coop a few days ago. The temperatures are really getting high and I'm a little out of ideas. They are panting, and laying down a lot. I have a frozen banana I will feed when it thaws out, frozen water bottles, a tiny wading pool, extra shade, and ice cubes in their water. I'm a little worried because they are peeping a lot. They are still eating their feed, which I am probably going to freeze. Are there any other ideas? Also, has anyone tried putting a bowl of ice cubes for them? Would it cool down the air around them?
I too have high temps. Ours are allowed free range of the backyard. However when temps get this high we set up a mister system around the inside of their cage. This is where they get locked up at night due to feral cats, raccoons and such roaming around. When they get too hot running around, they always head back to the cage since we do leave it open. We also make sure they have fresh food. We make daily salads of shredded apple, banana, squash, cucumber, shredded cheese diced tomatoes, hamburger. This salad goes in a fridge for them that's extra cold and semi freezes it. So they get that several times a day. We also set out saucers with ice cubes and surround the ice cubes with yogurt or cottage cheese.

I've done all of the above. The ice doesn't last long in a 112 degree heat index. I don't like to make their drinking water too cold, either. They need to drink lots of water and sometimes too much ice deters this. I turn on a hose with a mister during the peak of the day. It's in a shady spot. They congregate around that and seem less stressed.

Also, does anyone know the absolute maximum temperature for Brahma pullets? It's only going to get hotter this week, although the hottest day will come with a rainstorm.
I don't know the answer to this. I just know that we had a horrible summer the year I got a Brahma. I love the breed but found out it's too darn hot where I live to keep them.

Wow! Thank you guys for all the replies! Compared to some of you, it’s cool here. The highest has been 96 F. I’ll definitely try the misting system!

I have a fan in my coop, I got it at Tractor Supply, so it’s heavy duty. I run it at night facing the roost bar so they get a breeze, and circulated air all night. I prop open the nest boxes to allow air to circulate while they are in there laying, so it’s not so hot and stuffy. I always buy watermelon and quarter it and put it out for them to enjoy, they love the taste and the extra water is good for them. They find their own cool spots, under my pool deck in the damp shade is a favorite, but I have also seen them dust bathing in the hot sun🤦‍♀️ As long as they have shade and a place to dig and cool off they will be fine. One of my girls loves to be held in the cool pool, lol
F0845A03-8AD9-4E2D-9ABC-F7B4DD5398AB.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom