Cooling off the Chickens?

We set up misters along the fence of our runners. this supply's them with a cool mist during the hot temperatures. We only turn in on when the temps get above 85. I also,freeze corn, peas and green beans in ice cube trays and set them out in a bowl for them to eat. Our waters are setup with floats so they auto fill when the water level gets low. We have well water so the fresh water is always cool

I’m in Tucson and lost two of my 21 chickens to the heat yesterday. It was a record breaking 114F yesterday and it doesn’t get below 105F for the next 10 days. This is very unusual.The humidity is medium because we are in the middle of monsoon season, although we’ve seen no rain.

My chickens don’t free range because we have loads of hawks and, because we’re in the desert, there is no cover. They have plenty of shade because I have tarps over the run. I give them cold watermelon during the day (which they run to get when they hear me 😀). Ice in their water. Ice with water in a litter tray which four chickens immediately jump into. I’ve tried a kiddy pool but they wouldn’t go in it.

I see the suggestions for dampening down bedding but I thought it wasn’t good for them to have that wet? I’ll try dampening down the outside of the coop. I’m also going to try a mister again. I tried it last year but the water was evaporating to high up and making no difference. I’ll try it lower down in the run. I’ve also frozen unsalted corn in ice cube trays.

Any suggestions? I was so happy that I’d managed to keep 21 chickens alive from day old chicks for 15 months and now I’m kind of devastated.

I’m in Tucson and lost two of my 21 chickens to the heat yesterday. It was a record breaking 114F yesterday and it doesn’t get below 105F for the next 10 days. This is very unusual.The humidity is medium because we are in the middle of monsoon season, although we’ve seen no rain.

My chickens don’t free range because we have loads of hawks and, because we’re in the desert, there is no cover. They have plenty of shade because I have tarps over the run. I give them cold watermelon during the day (which they run to get when they hear me 😀). Ice in their water. Ice with water in a litter tray which four chickens immediately jump into. I’ve tried a kiddy pool but they wouldn’t go in it.

I see the suggestions for dampening down bedding but I thought it wasn’t good for them to have that wet? I’ll try dampening down the outside of the coop. I’m also going to try a mister again. I tried it last year but the water was evaporating to high up and making no difference. I’ll try it lower down in the run. I’ve also frozen unsalted corn in ice cube trays.

Any suggestions? I was so happy that I’d managed to keep 21 chickens alive from day old chicks for 15 months and now I’m kind of devastated.
Come on over to the local AZ group:https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/arizona-chickens.31227/page-7311 Lots of experience with heat!

Hi everyone! I have six pullets who have moved to their coop a few days ago. The temperatures are really getting high and I'm a little out of ideas. They are panting, and laying down a lot. I have a frozen banana I will feed when it thaws out, frozen water bottles, a tiny wading pool, extra shade, and ice cubes in their water. I'm a little worried because they are peeping a lot. They are still eating their feed, which I am probably going to freeze. Are there any other ideas? Also, has anyone tried putting a bowl of ice cubes for them? Would it cool down the air around them?

I put crushed ice in a large tray topped with frozen chopped kale or chard and some frozen fruit. Standing over the ice seems to cool them off plus they really like eating the crushed ice along with the other treats.
Hi everyone! I have six pullets who have moved to their coop a few days ago. The temperatures are really getting high and I'm a little out of ideas. They are panting, and laying down a lot. I have a frozen banana I will feed when it thaws out, frozen water bottles, a tiny wading pool, extra shade, and ice cubes in their water. I'm a little worried because they are peeping a lot. They are still eating their feed, which I am probably going to freeze. Are there any other ideas? Also, has anyone tried putting a bowl of ice cubes for them? Would it cool down the air around them?
us

I live in South Texas it gets HOT I put up a line of misters turn water very low so as not to make a mess it helps lower temperature in the run they also can come out into the yard but often I will find some of the older girls hanging out in the run

Back
Top Bottom