cooling off your chickens

Pics
It's very hot in GA today, the only one that seems to mind it is my brown leghorn. They have a tarp cover pvc tractor wit the ends open in the direction of the wind. every hour i add ice to their water, I put a pan of shallow water with in it for her, I even made a berry smoothie. the leghorn just walked through the smoothie and no one is really taking advantage of anything but the water. I do not have shade and I think I need to get a fan. what fan setups do you all have? Is there a fan you really like and works well? I was maybe wanting one with a light too, and a clip for their coop. What set ups and what do you all do to get them to enjoy their treats> So far, I think my chickens are from another planet, they don't even like lettuce!

First a photo of my afternoon-only setup:

5AA84342-0306-4E2E-8EEE-BAD62DD08DC4.jpeg

My Crèvecœurs are 3.5 months old and I'm building an elaborate coop, but this is their daytime tractor hangout. (Saint Augustine, FL)

1. fan (they are close to the garage so I can check on them often)

2. extra waterer (I use horizontal nipple feeders in the brooder, but want them to easily dunk their heads if they need to)

3. electrolyte waterer (horizontal nipple waterer from the brooder)

4. sprouted sunflower seeds, herbs, greens, and assorted sprouts for extra water source since their crumble is dry

5. frozen berries tossed in midday

6. locate tractor in shade and avoid early and late sunlight

7. cat box filled with First Saturday Lime and sandy yard dirt dustbath which allows them extra shade and seems to help them cope with humidity

8. upper story roosts gives complete sun protection while well-ventilated rafters and fan pointed upward, above the chickens, keeps it cool

I bring the Crèves into the garage brooder at night with the fan because the dry, predator-safe cave keeps them cooler than the extreme temperatures (hot even for Florida and humid due to rain).

Reading others' posts to learn!

photo below of Michele Cockerel, who likes to ride in the tractor as I roll it into the garage at night

FE57CD64-FF11-4539-9DF3-F7AE3B24025F.jpeg

First a photo of my afternoon-only setup:

View attachment 2244875

My Crèvecœurs are 3.5 months old and I'm building an elaborate coop, but this is their daytime tractor hangout. (Saint Augustine, FL)

1. fan (they are close to the garage so I can check on them often)

2. extra waterer (I use horizontal nipple feeders in the brooder, but want them to easily dunk their heads if they need to)

3. electrolyte waterer (horizontal nipple waterer from the brooder)

4. sprouted sunflower seeds, herbs, greens, and assorted sprouts for extra water source since their crumble is dry

5. frozen berries tossed in midday

6. locate tractor in shade and avoid early and late sunlight

7. cat box filled with First Saturday Lime and sandy yard dirt dustbath which allows them extra shade and seems to help them cope with humidity

8. upper story roosts gives complete sun protection while well-ventilated rafters and fan pointed upward, above the chickens, keeps it cool

I bring the Crèves into the garage brooder at night with the fan because the dry, predator-safe cave keeps them cooler than the extreme temperatures (hot even for Florida and humid due to rain).

Reading others' posts to learn!
Thank you! and Good luck to you! Used to live in SWFL, that is why I moved to GA, hated that constant heat, at least it cools off a bit a night, in the summer.

I would try to get either the sheet or the tarp UP higher, so the one keeps the sun off the other. Maybe put the wet sheet where the tarp now is, and the tarp higher up so the sun isn't shining right on the sheet. You'd want enough space between them that the tarp (which gets hot) doesn't just spread the heat right to the sheet below.
Yeah, since the tractor is mobile and I move it around every day, I cannot think of a way to have the tarp higher. I do use shorter pieces of landscape timbers propped up, but any taller would not work.

YUP, me too! this is about as far south as I can manage. I do not do heat well, or humidity rather. summers are hard for me. But in Florida it's year round anymore!

Yeah, as my native Jax husband tells me: it's hotter every year. I grew up in the South and don't like snow after living in the Midwest. Here is great.

My husband actually started saving our 16oz and liter soda bottles and filling them half full only, freezing and exchanges them out throughout the day. He just removed the original top traditional water can and it's a breeze to keep you both cool.I was killing myself..lol!

Back
Top Bottom