cooling off your chickens

That tarp is probably trapping heat, and it's so close to ground. A tree provides layers of shade from higher up, but that's not an option. I once had a half-circle pen made of trampoline, so I had an arch. I covered it with two layers of sun shade cloth and no rain got through it. That would trap less heat than a tarp yet still provide shelter. IT can be fastened with butterfly clips specially made for sun shade and bird netting, or if it comes with grommetts it can be fastened with bungees.

That tarp is probably trapping heat, and it's so close to ground. A tree provides layers of shade from higher up, but that's not an option. I once had a half-circle pen made of trampoline, so I had an arch. I covered it with two layers of sun shade cloth and no rain got through it. That would trap less heat than a tarp yet still provide shelter. IT can be fastened with butterfly clips specially made for sun shade and bird netting, or if it comes with grommetts it can be fastened with bungees.
I absolutely do not have any shade yet. all my trees are baby trees. I lift up the sides to try to give a cross breeze, but the sun ends up coming in and they only hide under the little bit of shade left. I am going to get them a fan from home depot next payday, which is 3 days. That's the only other things I think of. When they get bigger, I will clip their wings, so maybe I can figure out something better for them then. But seriously, the only shade I have is in the morning and it doesn't help them then.

Yea, I have a couple of 5 week old pullets who are suffering with the Louisiana heat, which is how I found this thread.... I have a water with the horizontal nipples, and some times it feels like they are not getting enough water out of it. I just went out and they were panting like crazy, so I tapped the valve to get a bunch of water spilling out and they drank like crazy. I mean, I know they are drinking, they have been out on the coop for a week, but they seemed desperate and panting. After that, I did mist around them with the hose a little bit and they freaked out but did seem to stop panting. I tried putting some icy water in a bowl, but they did not come near it. Maybe I will try the making wet feed idea, maybe with the icy water... I put an electric fan blowing into one side of the coop for now, not too strong.

I get that! I think she's finally understanding that it helps her. I just had to do it cuz she was beginning to pant and she didn't fight so much this time. I can tell it helps her, cuz afterwards, other than her not panting for a short time(about an hour), she begins to eat and drink again, instead of just lay there.
Yes, I think they finally realized we are helping, not hurting!

Can the tractor be dragged to the east side of the house so it would have afternoon shade?
That is where it is. my whole back yard is the east side, but it doesn't get any shade til it starts going past the house, then I move them to a tiny strip of shade. One day, my trees will get big enough to offer some shade, but they are all babies now, I just put them in a few years ago.

Yea, I have a couple of 5 week old pullets who are suffering with the Louisiana heat, which is how I found this thread.... I have a water with the horizontal nipples, and some times it feels like they are not getting enough water out of it. I just went out and they were panting like crazy, so I tapped the valve to get a bunch of water spilling out and they drank like crazy. I mean, I know they are drinking, they have been out on the coop for a week, but they seemed desperate and panting. After that, I did mist around them with the hose a little bit and they freaked out but did seem to stop panting. I tried putting some icy water in a bowl, but they did not come near it. Maybe I will try the making wet feed idea, maybe with the icy water... I put an electric fan blowing into one side of the coop for now, not too strong.
Mine drink out of the water bowl and I have a pan that they are supposed to wade in, but drink from, they still leave the frozen veggies alone though. It's time to go give ice and mist her again.

Frozen peaches were a big hit with my girls yesterday, along with watermelon & grapes. I also made them a shallow pool with a block of ice in the center. I added some of the peaches & I also had to place their feet in it to get them to use it.

Frozen peaches were a big hit with my girls yesterday, along with watermelon & grapes. I also made them a shallow pool with a block of ice in the center. I added some of the peaches & I also had to place their feet in it to get them to use it.
I wish I had room in my freezer to freeze a block of fruit and veggie ice, but I don't. I have seen them accidentally step in the wading pan, but it still doesn't trigger them to say: "hey that feels good!" I keep waiting, but not so much. I thought chickens were smart?! lol

When you give grapes, do you cut them or just throw them in whole? Seems like it may be a challenge for them to eat. Haven't tried peaches or grapes but mine love watermelon and cukes.

Back
Top Bottom